Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Westbound TATL 757 "Short Stops"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Nonsense. AA flies the 757 to markets such as JFK-CDG, which, if I recall correctly, caused outraged posts from certain members when UA tried this from IAD.
It's actually a 763 year-round - I should know, I flew it last year. A 757 seems to be summer only, when, you know, it's less likely to divert than in the winter months. Good planning.

If it were soley diversion rates, then why haven't any of the routes that diverted at much higher rates (e.g. EWR-TXL, EWR-CPH) been switched?
Well, CPH has been discontinued...I'm sure a 757 didn't help things.

As for TXL - this is the route they switch back and forth between a 757 and a 767, IIRC (and did a Gander stop just this week). If there wasn't such a deficit of widebodies at the moment, maybe it would be a 67 year round.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Um, no, this is nonsense - it's a 763. I should know, I flew it last fall.
They fly both. AA44/45 is a 763, and AA120/121 is a 752. (AA120/121 only flies 5 days a week.)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
As for TXL - this is the route they switch back and forth between a 757 and a 767, IIRC (and did a Gander stop just this week). If there wasn't such a deficit of widebodies at the moment, maybe it would be a 67 year round.
Yup - am flying EWR-TXL next month. When I booked the flight back in October it was listed as a 767-400 which surprised me since I didn't think TXL had that sort of demand. It's since been switched to a non-BF configured 767-200 (pmCO) which will make me feel less miserable about not being in a SWU upgradeable fare class to begin with.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Yup - am flying EWR-TXL next month. When I booked the flight back in October it was listed as a 767-400 which surprised me since I didn't think TXL had that sort of demand. It's since been switched to a non-BF configured 767-200 (pmCO) which will make me feel less miserable about not being in a SWU upgradeable fare class to begin with.
Yes, but UA still flies 752's EWR-TXL at times.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
It's actually a 763 year-round - I should know, I flew it last year. A 757 seems to be summer only, when, you know, it's less likely to divert than in the winter months. Good planning.
No it's not. 1x daily 757 and 1x daily 763 year-round. Been that way for years. Go check through end of schedule on AA if you don't believe me.

edit: heh, harder than it used to be to check through EOS given AA's new craptastic website that I am trying to make work

Last edited by andrewwm; Jan 21, 2013 at 8:00 pm
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No it's not. 1x daily 757 and 1x daily 763 year-round. Been that way for years. Go check through end of schedule on AA if you don't believe me.
You are quite confident but are wrong - was two daily 763s last fall, I had to choose between them.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA
It's actually a 763 year-round - I should know, I flew it last year. A 757 seems to be summer only,
They pretty clearly are sending a 757 year round at this point.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...200Z/KJFK/LFPG
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
They pretty clearly are sending a 757 year round at this point.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...200Z/KJFK/LFPG
Check Sep/Oct, 120/121 was a 763. 2x daily of them.

Anyway, back on topic of 757s on near-4K mile routes.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:31 pm

The 757 was originally intended as a 727 replacement and that's how Boeing marketed it. The performance ended up being far superior than a 727 with a range of 4,500 NM.

Continental deserves credit for pioneering the 757 in TATL flights to avoid a connection to smaller markets in Europe. However, they deserve a big for poaching sUA birds and putting the 757s on sUA routes that ended up getting COdbaUA a lot of bad press because of the technical stops.

Also, I think it might be inaccurate to say that CO put all their eggs in the 787 basket. Their order for the then 7E7 in 2004 also included top-off orders for 777-200ERs and over the couple of years following they added to that 777 top off order for a couple more frames. It's safe though to say that their widebody fleet was lacking up until the merger.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:32 pm

Check Sep/Oct, 120/121 was a 763. 2x daily of them.

Anyway, back on topic of 757s on near-4K mile routes.
120/121 was operated by a 757 all 2011 and is scheduled to be operated by a 757 in all of 2013.

I didn't check last summer, so maybe there were a few days/weeks in peak tourist season where a 763 was subbed, but 120/121 was one of the first route AA put their reconfigured biz class 757s on and it hasn't changed since.

So I guess horror of horrors that UA puts a 757 on an objectively less busy O&D city pair (IAD-CDG) but AA has one on the second busiest/yielding TATL city pair (JFK-CDG) and peachy keen. Got it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by halls120
United used to have the IAD-CDG contract. DL has it now.

What many people don't understand is that it is very easy for government travelers to select a non-contract carrier, as long as 1) the other flight selected is a US flag carrier flight and 2) the non contract carrier offers a DG fare that matches the contract fare.

For example, If I was flying to CDG next month, the current YCA fare is 1325 on DL, and the penalty fare is 868. UA offers the same YCA fare, and a slightly lower penalty fare, and I'm allowed to select the United flight.

Last year when UA still had the contract but was flying the 757s, many government travelers opted for the DL flights. On the rare instance where auditors questioned why we didn't choose the UA contract flight, all we had to do is mention the Gander fuel stop, and the inquiry ended.
That's absolutely a violation of the FTR.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bu7exGKj8AwkEA
"It is important to note that choosing the Discounted Government (“DG”) fare, also called the “me too” fare, is not permitted by the Federal Travel Regulation (FTR). Federal travelers cannot choose a DG fare, even if it is lower than a CPP fare unless there the CPP carrier is full or no CPP carrier exists in the area you are traveling to."

Picking a lowest available, on the other hand, is permitted, though agency rules govern the use of lowest available vs. refundable.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by channa

Why would anyone pay Full F on CO? A Platinum gets an F seat with a M fare. A Silver gets an F seat with a B fare. Why the heck would anyone pay for F on CO if they're an Elite frequent flyer?

In addition to all the service, reliability, and operational problems that came with the 3/3 system downgrade, I'm sure the Y/B/M-Up policy eroded their F/C revenue as well, at least domestically. And a handful of TOD upgrades is not going to recover it.

But CO might be okay with that (see mindset issue above). People complained for years that they could not buy an F seat on SFO/LAX-EWR sometimes 1-2 weeks out or more. Not that an upgrade wasn't available, but it was F0. CO always claimed the complexity and costs of running a subfleet of larger F planes outweighed the benefits of the extra revenue. Now keep in mind, as you pointed out earlier, that CO did not have the type of F revenue that UA did, and that may have changed in the merged entity, but the legacy CO mindset may still be present in the organization when these decisions are being made. After all a lot of business decisions are based on assumptions and weights, and it's very easy to get those wrong.
I was PLT on CO for years, and when I started they were freely giving away upgrades, even SFO-EWR. As a result they set their fare structure so that First was $150 or so more each way over available coach. They did not have the customer base to do what UA/AA were doing and charging a premium.

As they got more elites, they went to the Y/B/M preference, and still had a very narrow price spread between F and Y (DL does this now on many routes). Its just a different model. I don't think it "eroded" CO's Full Price FC sales as they did not have any. Those folks were flying from JFK/LGA.

Where I think they went wrong is in not really understanding the different markets UA was in, the different type of fliers, and what it took to retain them. Some guy who paid $1200 RT (F) rather than $900 RT (Y) to fly LAX/SFO-EWR has a different set of expectations from someone who pays $2600 to fly it in C (or Domestic F to EWR on PMUA)

If it were soley diversion rates, then why haven't any of the routes that diverted at much higher rates (e.g. EWR-TXL, EWR-CPH) been switched?
Because that is a route that UA can't fill a wide-body on, and the 762 is a fuel hog.

I don't doubt that passengers hate unscheduled stop, but honestly what do you expect people to answer on that poll? There's no mention of possible offsetting benefits in the question like the qualifiers "if it lowered the ticket price" or "allowed the airline to serve an otherwise unprofitable route".
I seriously doubt that UA is doing this and trying to undercut a connection flight... And on some of these routes others fly them or you can connect. its about UA, not about doing some public service of providing cheaper flights to the public.

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
One of the most fascinating aspects of the story is that Boeing stopped making the 757 in 2004 and its use as an ETOPS TATL a/c really took off after that.

Since then, as was discussed earlier in this thread, Boeing has not made any product truly capable of replacing the 752...
The 757 was from another era. It was highly over-engineered and was designed to be able to do everything 727-200 did, and more. It was have the power for short runways, more seating capacity, be able to climb quickly, and also fly trans con (including BOS-SFO/SEA, or SEA-MIA) and also do south/central American routes with the 60 min divert rule (pre ETOPS rule).

Because it (and the 762/2) was a leap in fuel efficiency/capacity, and it had no direct narrow body competitor, Boeing was able to have it do everything.

Today, airlines don't want to pay for that, and with fuel costs so key, caring arround the extra fuel/weight for more capacity makes little sense, which is why the 737/320/321 have less capacity.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Part of the problem is that the 757-300 was never meant to be a TATL bird. It's range is shorter than that of the 707-320B (3400 nautical miles vs 3800). For reference point, EWR-CDG is 3200 nautical miles. Piece of cake for the 707 but tough for the 753, especially westwards. The 727-200 Advanced that was occasionally and not successfully used in TATL routes had a 3500 nautical mile range.

If there is enough market, and it seems to be, someone should develop a single aisle TATL bird with range well in the 4000s.

*The range of the 752 is close to 4000 btw and the potential 753 replacements 737 Max 9 and A321neo have only 3600 nm range.
Do share - which airline used the 727-200 TATL? Thank you!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Do share - which airline used the 727-200 TATL? Thank you!
Cimber, among a few others: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/54285/

The Cimber and Royal flights had fuel stops in KEF, but private charters and cargo flights apparently did it non-stop.

Remember that PrivatAir has 737 TATL flights and that the 727-200 has about the same range as the 737NGs.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I guess horror of horrors that UA puts a 757 on an objectively less busy O&D city pair (IAD-CDG) but AA has one on the second busiest/yielding TATL city pair (JFK-CDG) and peachy keen. Got it.
1. A 6% increase in miles over JFK, making it more suceptible to a diversion (closer to the range limit), which you don't want to acknowledge apparently
2. A big difference when you ONLY fly 757s on a busy route (giving consumers no choice, and forcing them to look elsewhere, as what happened to UA apparently) vs. the ability to take a widebody on a route if you so choose

Helps if you look at the full story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.