Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Westbound TATL 757 "Short Stops"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:42 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by crazyMRer
The 737 MAX 9 with 3,595 nmi Range fully loaded and 180 passenger capacity will probably replace the 757 on many current 757 routes.

Maybe they will develop an ER version of the MAX 9.
Not enough range, the 739 max can't do TATL from NYC due to ETOPs fuel requirement and adding aux fuel tanks will severly erode cargo capacity thereby eating into profit margins and will render most routes unprofitable.

For comparison, the 752W's range is 4100nm.

UA does not, and will not, have 73Gmax on order, so moot point there.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tuolumne
interesting spin. The IAD-CDG-IAD route is the one that made up the vast majority of the flights in issue - It went from 777 to a 757 in a move you personally championed loudly for whatever reason.

When that turned out to be the complete disaster we all said it would be, and in light of an expose in the WSJ, the company quickly moved to replace that incompatible equipment with a proper wide body aircraft.

The winter winds being at "10 year highs" is spin from the company itself and nobody else. No surprise then that you state it as fact.
Sorry, but almost this entire post is incorrect. There is no spin involved, nor would I have any need to introduce any.

About the only thing you did get correct is the fact that the IAD-CDG-IAD route is no longer operated by a 757 but by a different aircraft.

I suggest you take a close look at the statistics and plethora of posts from last year and let us know if you'd like to post an update to the post above
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Never quite sure what people want. If a route can't be profitably operated by a 777 and is therefore downguaged to an aircraft which can profitably route, but with an occasional pit stop, that's better than the altermative of dropping the route.

The days of simply flying routes and then setting fares to fill the aircraft are long gone.

Samething is true for those who rant about replacing a 319 with a 200. That's what's gonna happen if the 50-seater is the aircraft which most profitably flies the route. Need to get your friends to fly more at full F/Y and soon enough it will be a 3-class intl. configured widebody.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Never quite sure what people want. If a route can't be profitably operated by a 777 and is therefore downguaged to an aircraft which can profitably route, but with an occasional pit stop, that's better than the altermative of dropping the route.

The days of simply flying routes and then setting fares to fill the aircraft are long gone.

Samething is true for those who rant about replacing a 319 with a 200. That's what's gonna happen if the 50-seater is the aircraft which most profitably flies the route. Need to get your friends to fly more at full F/Y and soon enough it will be a 3-class intl. configured widebody.
Well said. My friends and parents would fly Spirit if it were $10 less (even though I can get them all free bags and E+ if they fly UA with me).
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by star_world
Sorry, but almost this entire post is incorrect. There is no spin involved, nor would I have any need to introduce any.

About the only thing you did get correct is the fact that the IAD-CDG-IAD route is no longer operated by a 757 but by a different aircraft.

I suggest you take a close look at the statistics and plethora of posts from last year and let us know if you'd like to post an update to the post above
TXL-EWR has diverted twice in 14 days. Too me the numbers prove that this route should probably not be flown with a 757 anymore.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
interesting spin. The IAD-CDG-IAD route is the one that made up the vast majority of the flights in issue - It went from 777 to a 757 in a move you personally championed loudly for whatever reason.

When that turned out to be the complete disaster we all said it would be, and in light of an expose in the WSJ, the company quickly moved to replace that incompatible equipment with a proper wide body aircraft.

The winter winds being at "10 year highs" is spin from the company itself and nobody else. No surprise then that you state it as fact.
Indeed, it was cringe inducing spin

This platitude works in theory - like in a college course textbook.

But we have seen the new UA dump the 747 from HKG-SIN and 3-class widebody IAD-CDG-IAD, only to reverse course a short while later tail between their legs.

So lemme ask you this: Were they misguided when they made the switch or misguided on the reversal? Or were they genius both times?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
This platitude works in theory - like in a college course textbook.

But we have seen the new UA dump the 747 from HKG-SIN and 3-class widebody IAD-CDG-IAD, only to reverse course a short while later tail between their legs.

So lemme ask you this: Were they misguided when they made the switch or misguided on the reversal? Or were they genius both times?
Agreed - it's the same spin in saying "there's no market for 3 cabin domestic service, so UA is ditching PS F". No, there is a market, it's just that UA isn't choosing to play in it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:41 am

What a bunch of a fatuous nonsense.

The 757 was the wrong aircraft for this route. While you were busy debating the definition of an "unplanned fuel stop", United was busy limiting payloads and blocking 30 seats in the back. This was a disastrous equipment swap, one that elicited outrage from the media and corporate accounts alike, and one that was reversed.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hobo13
So, after this being a good year for TATL 757's, shall we expect Jeff to want to fly RJ's?
Finally, TATL service returns to CLE.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
What a bunch of a fatuous nonsense.

The 757 was the wrong aircraft for this route. While you were busy debating the definition of an "unplanned fuel stop", United was busy limiting payloads and blocking 30 seats in the back. This was a disastrous equipment swap, one that elicited outrage from the media and corporate accounts alike, and one that was reversed.
There are extremely frequent equipment swaps in every airline that can - the days of a consistent aircraft type operating the same route with no changes are gone in the US airline industry, which can barely scrape two pennies together so resorts to whatever cost cutting measures it takes. This was one of them. I can't say I saw any outrage, except from you and about ten other people on FT. I saw a bit of annoyance from other parties, at a stretch.

The day it makes more financial sense for UA to operate a load-managed 757 on IAD-CDG-IAD is the day they will do it again. And again. And on other "precious" routes too. You may have to face that reality - just an early warning.

It really isn't as emotional a subject or decision as you would have us believe.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The day it makes more financial sense for UA to operate a load-managed 757 on IAD-CDG-IAD is the day they will do it again. And again. And on other "precious" routes too. You may have to face that reality - just an early warning.
If and when that happens, you will be vindicated. Given the beating that UA took with running two 757's on that route last year, I doubt they will be interested in repeating that experience.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:39 pm

There are extremely frequent equipment swaps in every airline that can - the days of a consistent aircraft type operating the same route with no changes are gone in the US airline industry, which can barely scrape two pennies together so resorts to whatever cost cutting measures it takes. This was one of them. I can't say I saw any outrage, except from you and about ten other people on FT. I saw a bit of annoyance from other parties, at a stretch.

It really isn't as emotional a subject or decision as you would have us believe.
I don't even know what you're talking about at this point. First you claim everything I stated to be wholly inaccurate (none of it was), and now you're speaking in circles about the financial performance of a route you don't have the proprietary information to make any credible conclusion about.

Claiming that this only outraged "10 people on FlyerTalk" only digs your hole further deeper given the sheer ridiculousness of that statement. Hundreds of travelers were inconvenienced,and the company took a rightful beating in the media for it. If you want credibility, and I'm not sure you do, I'd suggest not spinning the facts so brazenly as to support whatever CO apologist agenda you have. It's just getting boring at this point.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Samething is true for those who rant about replacing a 319 with a 200. That's what's gonna happen if the 50-seater is the aircraft which most profitably flies the route.
Why would one pay $100+ more to fly a CRJ50 when I can fly a 737? I agree with your downsizing to meet demand but you cannot price your inferior product higher than a superior product.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
I hope not as it's bad enough the guppy has already replace many 57's on domestic routes :-(
What's so much worse about the experience of flying a 737 vs a 757?

The days of simply flying routes and then setting fares to fill the aircraft are long gone.[/quote]
I don't think that's a good argument for IAD-CDG-IAD. The route can clearly support a 767. UA decided to try to support it by flying two 757s in the winter. I don't think the IAD-CDG-IAD change was a downgauge because the capacity was too great for a 767/777.

In retrospect it was a mistake and they corrected it. We can argue that were we highly paid analysts we would not have made this mistake. In fact, many have, are, and will continue to have this argument!

BTW, it's also worth noting that this year UA has a *lot* more two class 763s with popular lie-flat seating in C/J. This should reduce the pressure on UA to fly the 757-200 to primary TATL destinations. Now they just need unified union contracts and they'll be able to have more freedom to put appropriate equipment out of every U.S. gateway.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Finally, TATL service returns to CLE.
CLE? Let's not sell ourselves short! DEN-LHR. Make it an E145 so only one FA necessary.

Last edited by hobo13; Jan 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.