Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Westbound TATL 757 "Short Stops"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes, AA flies some 57s to 2nd tier markets, just like UA. The difference is that you won't see them on NYC-LHR and other prime routes, nor will you see them running them at the operational limit CO-style.
Lots of misinformation in this thread from all parties. I don't have time to go through it all.

However AA54 pushes the limits quite often
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
They're used on truly "thin" routes, such as JFK-MAN.
I think that this is nub of the issue.... No one is complaining about JFK/EWR-MAN or FJK/EWR-EDI or similar. England is closer, far less risk of divert, and there is not the traffic for a widebody.

What CO has been doing (EWR-LON, and then IAD-CDG) was doing two (or more) flights on 752s rather than one on a widebody.

Anyone who thinks that this makes financial sense needs to have their head examined. 4 pilots rather than two, two landing/take off/gate fees, and fuel and AC expanse for two 752s rather than a 777 or 763/764 is a loosing proposition for UA.

CO did this as they did a poor job of fleet planning, had too little widebody lift, extending it to IAD was a mistake, and they lost reputation/HVFs.

And then trying to do the same thing to 2ndary markets (like Berlin) which are another 300-500 miles or more away is just a mistake. That plus that EWR is further than JFK is where CO has gotten in trouble.

As others have noted, UA is converting UA 763 domestic/Hawaii lift into 763 international lift. Clearly this is a recognition that doing things the CO way was a disaster. Too bad they damaged the brand/corporate accounts before they reversed course.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thomwithanh

BTW... the CR7 can almost make it from California to Hawaii.
In the land of UA, almost is usually good enough.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes, AA flies some 57s to 2nd tier markets, just like UA. The difference is that you won't see them on NYC-LHR and other prime routes, nor will you see them running them at the operational limit CO-style.
Nonsense. AA flies the 757 to markets such as JFK-CDG, which, if I recall correctly, caused outraged posts from certain members when UA tried this from IAD.

Moreover, AA's ORD-MAN flight is blocked at 7:45, and the distance is almost exactly the same as IAD-CDG.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by chris1979
Given financials / economics are a main driver behind decisions, am wondering how much such an unplanned stop to get extra fuel costs / wipes out in terms of route profit?

I've seen some numbers before but assume that there's charge for landing, the extra fuel itself, missed connection costs, a/c and crew working longer / not being able to do another run, etc,
I'm sure it's huge. The other piece of it is the delay in arrival affects the next run. This was especially true at IAD where there were little to no spare CO aircraft to reassign.

As for the costs, that's where CO's stall tactics with IRROPS help them. There were so many stories of people being refused OAL rebooks and other amenities such as hotels, it almost makes me wonder whether the policies about IRROPS (which were and are reasonable) were being deliberately circumvented.

Originally Posted by spin88
Part of this was that the new CO management wanted to kill PS. Having looked at the books they were convinced not to do it, but it took a while and things festered. I recall one discussion with a CO exec who expressed amazement at the number of premium fares on UA, the CO folks had never seen it, no one was paying full F on CO.
Why would anyone pay Full F on CO? A Platinum gets an F seat with a M fare. A Silver gets an F seat with a B fare. Why the heck would anyone pay for F on CO if they're an Elite frequent flyer?

In addition to all the service, reliability, and operational problems that came with the 3/3 system downgrade, I'm sure the Y/B/M-Up policy eroded their F/C revenue as well, at least domestically. And a handful of TOD upgrades is not going to recover it.

I think that the CO folks were unused to competition, and the idea of a F product (and having to spend the money) did not appeal to them. I think that they also saw AA in distress, and nothing else on the route.
They also simply did not understand it. I recall one CO DO with Kellner, the CEO at the time, where he said that a 757 with that few seats could not be profitable. Meanwhile, UA proclaimed P.S. as their most profitable domestic routes.

Same was true for E+. They were opposed to it until they saw UA's books. CO had said repeatedly that removing seats could not generate more money.

Fundamentally, the issue is one of mindset. While I agree that they were not accustomed to competition at CO, one of their main obstacles is they have difficulty thinking beyond some of the most simplistic logic (e.g., each seat nets $X so the more seats the merrier, rather than fewer seats means more space, which we can market and sell for more). Think about trying to explain the business logic of E+ to a first grader. They're not gonna get it. That was the mindset problem.

Today DL has a much better transcon product that UA BF (and has added SEA to the mix), and AA is doing new planes with F/C, and VX has joined the fray. My guess is that UA is giving up traffic, and of the type they will regret over time.
But CO might be okay with that (see mindset issue above). People complained for years that they could not buy an F seat on SFO/LAX-EWR sometimes 1-2 weeks out or more. Not that an upgrade wasn't available, but it was F0. CO always claimed the complexity and costs of running a subfleet of larger F planes outweighed the benefits of the extra revenue. Now keep in mind, as you pointed out earlier, that CO did not have the type of F revenue that UA did, and that may have changed in the merged entity, but the legacy CO mindset may still be present in the organization when these decisions are being made. After all a lot of business decisions are based on assumptions and weights, and it's very easy to get those wrong.

Originally Posted by andrewwm
Yeah because it was totally CO's fault that the 787 program was delayed 4 years
No, but it was CO's fault for relying solely on one aircraft type for their widebody strategy. They put all their eggs in the 787 basket, and it cost them dearly. As risk averse as CO usually was, this was certainly a risky move they took, and they paid for it.

Moreover, the IAD-CDG flight wasn't switched because of fuel stops (other routes had much higher divert rates) but because pax didn't like the narrowbody.
Huh? So people wrote in that they didn't like the plane, and they switched it? The media attention to the diversions and poor customer handling played no part?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moreover, AA's ORD-MAN flight is blocked at 7:45, and the distance is almost exactly the same as IAD-CDG.
The distance is shorter (about 225 miles), and IAD-CDG is 6% longer than JFK-CDG. 6% may not sound like much, but when you're approaching the max range like these flights are, you don't have that much cushion.

Also, the block times at JFK are generally higher than IAD because of ground and line-up delays. While that does cost fuel, it doesn't cost nearly as much as actually flying the aircraft.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Huh? So people wrote in that they didn't like the plane, and they switched it? The media attention to the diversions and poor customer handling played no part?
If it were soley diversion rates, then why haven't any of the routes that diverted at much higher rates (e.g. EWR-TXL, EWR-CPH) been switched?

The distance is shorter (about 225 miles), and IAD-CDG is 6% longer than JFK-CDG. 6% may not sound like much, but when you're approaching the max range like these flights are, you don't have that much cushion.
You quoted me comparing ORD-MAN to IAD-CDG. ORD-MAN is almost exactly the same distance as IAD-CDG and they likely have very similar diversion rates. The point being that if IAD-CDG shows that, according to tuolumne, "United puts profits ahead of safety" then why isn't he saying that about AA?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 21, 2013 at 5:21 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it were soley diversion rates, then why haven't any of the routes that diverted at much higher rates (e.g. EWR-TXL, EWR-CPH) been switched?

Didn't TXL-EWR switch back at one point after some probe by the German government? They were trying to go after CO for false advertising (non-stop when it wasn't reliably one).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:15 pm

Didn't TXL-EWR switch back at one point after some probe by the German government? They were trying to go after CO for false advertising (non-stop when it wasn't reliably one).
Nope.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
And additionally, do you have the same comment about AA? In the last 5 years they converted a number of 757s to TATL configuration - are they, as you put it "place[ing] profits ahead of all else. Typical [AA], not surprising."
A number of airlines (including all the U.S. legacy carriers) fly the 752 TATL, including:

1. AA
2. DL
3. EC (open skies)
4. FI
5. UA
6. US

(BA formerly operated 752's TATL and now operates LCY-JFK with an all-J A318)

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Jan 21, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by star_world
I can't say I saw any outrage, except from you and about ten other people on FT. I saw a bit of annoyance from other parties, at a stretch.
In the WSJ.com poll, 62 percent of the 2700 voters said the practice was not acceptable - so it was actually at least over 1700 people who registered their feelings against the practice.

http://online.wsj.com/community/grou...ed-fly-smaller
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by njcommodore
The government contracts have nothing to do with the 757 diversion issue. As someone pointed out up thread there was a waiver granted for foreign flag carriers, but UA didn't lose any gov contracts over it.
United used to have the IAD-CDG contract. DL has it now.

What many people don't understand is that it is very easy for government travelers to select a non-contract carrier, as long as 1) the other flight selected is a US flag carrier flight and 2) the non contract carrier offers a DG fare that matches the contract fare.

For example, If I was flying to CDG next month, the current YCA fare is 1325 on DL, and the penalty fare is 868. UA offers the same YCA fare, and a slightly lower penalty fare, and I'm allowed to select the United flight.

Last year when UA still had the contract but was flying the 757s, many government travelers opted for the DL flights. On the rare instance where auditors questioned why we didn't choose the UA contract flight, all we had to do is mention the Gander fuel stop, and the inquiry ended.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
In the WSJ.com poll, 62 percent of the 2700 voters said the practice was not acceptable - so it was actually at least over 1700 people who registered their feelings against the practice.

http://online.wsj.com/community/grou...ed-fly-smaller
I don't doubt that passengers hate unscheduled stop, but honestly what do you expect people to answer on that poll? There's no mention of possible offsetting benefits in the question like the qualifiers "if it lowered the ticket price" or "allowed the airline to serve an otherwise unprofitable route".
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:36 pm
Suspended

I don't doubt that passengers hate unscheduled stop, but honestly what do you expect people to answer on that poll? There's no mention of possible offsetting benefits in the question like the qualifiers "if it lowered the ticket price" or "allowed the airline to serve an otherwise unprofitable route".
Clearly a difference from "10" people as another poster claimed.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
One of the most fascinating aspects of the story is that Boeing stopped making the 757 in 2004 and its use as an ETOPS TATL a/c really took off after that.

Since then, as was discussed earlier in this thread, Boeing has not made any product truly capable of replacing the 752...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.