Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Westbound TATL 757 "Short Stops"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:37 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by clubord
I'm a United/Continental pilot and the last person in the world to defend the company but I've been flying the B757/767 for 8 years now and that memo never existed.

If you want to talk about the practicality of TXL-EWR, shady re-dispatch points enroute, and creative alternate selections that's one thing but there has never been a directive to use "emergency fuel" as a dispatch tool. If that was a regular practice, the FAA would have an absolute field day with that one.

Ever been the pilot of an airliner coasting in on fumes...NO? Neither have I; if we need more gas, we get it. Not putting my ticket at risk for an on time arrival. If I get there safely, so do you!

Spin88...just to give you the benefit of the doubt I went through the pilot memo archives from 02/07 and 10/07 as referenced by the "Consumerist." There were no such documents.
Bolding mine: The Captain of UA1054 EWR-SFO on 1/21 did just that and made a p/a announcement to the pax telling us we would have about a 5-10 minute to take on more fuel due to strong headwinds.

And on a side note, here's to adding you to my Tootsie-Pop® victims list
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mduell
The figures quoted are typical IFR figures; no one is really interested in range until you run the tanks dry. In the Detailed Technical Characteristics Boeing mentions the assumptions, including "DOMESTIC RESERVES" or "TYPICAL MISSION RULES".

But you still have to derate the range for winds (ESAD).
However you calculate it, through the 739 MAX has about 500 nm less range than the 752 with wingtips.

Also, it is also still a smaller a/c (752 = 155 ft & 739 MAX = 138 ft).

So if a carrier would truly be looking for an effective 752 replacement, the 739 MAX would not really fit the bill.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by star_world
Did you read one word of my post? What was hazardous about operating 757s on these routes? I'm not even slightly involved in this separate discussion about the existence (or not) of a memo or directive. There is zero misinformation from me in this thread - if you think there is I'd love for you to point it out.
How about we start by you going back and pointing out where anything I said has been "inaccurate". You have seemingly refused to do so. You like to do a lot of complaining about "hyperbole", not so much in the name of serious discussion. You downplayed the CDG 757 situation and still continue to do so, evading any & all implications that you were wrong. The company has unfortunately thrown your position under the bus at this point.

Then we can start dissecting your misinformation, such as the blatant fabrications of there being "10 year record winds", which was nothing more than company spin, which you couldn't wait to accept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.