FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Westbound TATL 757 "Short Stops"
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:36 pm
njcommodore

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by halls120
United used to have the IAD-CDG contract. DL has it now.

What many people don't understand is that it is very easy for government travelers to select a non-contract carrier, as long as 1) the other flight selected is a US flag carrier flight and 2) the non contract carrier offers a DG fare that matches the contract fare.

For example, If I was flying to CDG next month, the current YCA fare is 1325 on DL, and the penalty fare is 868. UA offers the same YCA fare, and a slightly lower penalty fare, and I'm allowed to select the United flight.

Last year when UA still had the contract but was flying the 757s, many government travelers opted for the DL flights. On the rare instance where auditors questioned why we didn't choose the UA contract flight, all we had to do is mention the Gander fuel stop, and the inquiry ended.
That's absolutely a violation of the FTR.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bu7exGKj8AwkEA
"It is important to note that choosing the Discounted Government (“DG”) fare, also called the “me too” fare, is not permitted by the Federal Travel Regulation (FTR). Federal travelers cannot choose a DG fare, even if it is lower than a CPP fare unless there the CPP carrier is full or no CPP carrier exists in the area you are traveling to."

Picking a lowest available, on the other hand, is permitted, though agency rules govern the use of lowest available vs. refundable.