Preferred companion access: companion(s) on same PNR
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 Lifetime miles minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 70 lbs./32 kg
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Economy Saver Awards: Yes
Free Same Day Change: Yes

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Archive: United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Can someone confirm the ability to select E+ seat for the returning segment during check in? I have tried every option online and on the app, and I am only able to select E+ seat for outgoing flight. Returning flight requires payment (even when clicking through).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chemengin
Can someone confirm the ability to select E+ seat for the returning segment during check in? I have tried every option online and on the app, and I am only able to select E+ seat for outgoing flight. Returning flight requires payment (even when clicking through).
Do you mean the return of a round-trip? Silvers would get free E+ when checking in for the return, not the outbound.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Silvers can only select E+ for free on the flights they are checking-in on. You will be able to select E+ on the return flight when you check-in for that flight.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
is the return within 24 hours of the time you are trying this? If not, they are going to charge you.

If this is an out and back return right away, and it’s allowing you to check in with the outbound (ie, is it considering this a connection?). I admit I don’t have experience with something like that. But for flights considered connections that leave beyond 24 hours from the time you are checking in (ie, if you are checking in at T-24 from your first segment), the way it works is, it will show the seats with a price when selecting them, but when you confirm, instead of a page to collect credit card info, it will simply confirm the seat assignments without charge.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:48 pm
Suspended

E+ refund after hitting status?

Hello!

Long time flyer, first time poster. I have a trip coming up where my wife and I are flying to Europe. I will hit Silver on the way over (yes!). The flight coming back has some E+ open, but they are quickly filling up. My question is, if I purchase the E+ now, then at the 24 hour mark we would qualify for an open E+, does the amount that I paid for the E+ get refunded? I'm hoping someone else has has this situation.

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by th8419
Hello!

Long time flyer, first time poster. I have a trip coming up where my wife and I are flying to Europe. I will hit Silver on the way over (yes!). The flight coming back has some E+ open, but they are quickly filling up. My question is, if I purchase the E+ now, then at the 24 hour mark we would qualify for an open E+, does the amount that I paid for the E+ get refunded? I'm hoping someone else has has this situation.

Thanks!
Nope. No refund. You’ll have to decide if it’s worth shelling out the bucks or waiting til T-24.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by th8419
... I will hit Silver on the way over (yes!). The flight coming back has some E+ open, but they are quickly filling up. My question is, if I purchase the E+ now, then at the 24 hour mark we would qualify for an open E+, does the amount that I paid for the E+ get refunded? ....
Not standard policy, anything is possible if you call. Even if you were Silver today, you would have to wait until check-in, so the ability to nail down the seat now is more than you, Silver, benefit.

What if you had Silver already but purchased E+ early to select a seat, you don't get a refund at check-in if there are available seats. The fee allowed the early selection. If it was refunded, Silver would have the same Gold, select at booking, benefit.

The same question has been asked a couple of times in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ns-merged.html , no one has reported back (success or failure).
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:23 pm

hi - i am about to finally meet 25k spend on my united cards. how long does it take to have status updated by united? Will it happen right after my statement balances close and my credit card payment is made?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by 621mango
hi - i am about to finally meet 25k spend on my united cards. how long does it take to have status updated by united? Will it happen right after my statement balances close and my credit card payment is made?
Chase notifies UA weekly(?) of your total qualifying purchases-- not related to statement dates
Chase UA PQD Waiver Q&A: when updated, calendar year, cancellation,.. [Consoldiated]
621mango likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I booked an award flight through United Airlines for a flight on Air Dolomiti intra-Europe in Economy as a Silver - would I get a free checked bag with my ticket?
Old May 23, 2022, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
I booked an award flight through United Airlines for a flight on Air Dolomiti intra-Europe in Economy as a Silver - would I get a free checked bag with my ticket?
UA SIlver get no elite bag allowance on non-UA operated flights.
Your bag allowance will be based on your ticket allowance. Likely to be 1 bag for an award ticket, standard economy allowance.
Economy Award tickets are not classified as "light economy"
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just wanted to post my recent experience at E+ when checking in with a partner.

Flying SIN-NRT-YVR-SFO, on NH, AC and UA respectively. 4 pax - 2 silver, 2 GM. As I'm not surprised at, when checkin in with ANA, I was able to check in for all segments, but couldn't change seats on the UA flight. I was in 25 or so. I saw that row 11 had 4 seats available we could move into. Called the UA Singapore number, since I'm here, and agent told me if I wanted to move there, I'd need to pay the E+ charge. While I did try to push a little bit, including that I have always been able to select a seat for connecting UA flights on an all UA itin when the connection is >24 hours, but the first flight isn't. Phone agent sounded rather competent otherwise, but claimed I needed to wait until 24 hours prior to the YVR-SFO segment.

I had been waiting to hear back from an agent via messaging when I called, so just told the agent I'd call back at T-24 to that flight. Messaging agent got back to me shortly after, and was able to do this for me, and letting me know he was able to 'successfully waive' the additional charges.

So was confused. Has there been a change in policy on this (I haven't run into this situation for a long time, but pretty sure I have had something similar done in the past)? While I'm glad the text agent was able to make the change, wording they used made It sound like they were doing me a favor. I appreciate it either way, but wondering what the policy is supposed to be these days.

Last edited by emcampbe; Jul 6, 2022 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:23 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Just wanted to post my recent experience at E+ when checking in with a partner.

Flying SIN-NRT-YVR-SFO, on NH, AC and UA respectively. 4 pax - 2 silver, 2 GM. As I'm not surprised at, when checkin in with ANA, I was able to check in for all segments, but couldn't change seats on the UA flight. I was in 25 or so. I saw that row 11 had 4 seats available we could move into. Called the UA Singapore number, since I'm here, and agent told me if I wanted to move there, I'd need to pay the E+ charge. While I did try to push a little bit, including that I have always been able to select a seat for connecting UA flights on an all UA itin when the connection is >24 hours, but the first flight isn't. Phone agent sounded rather competent otherwise, but claimed I needed to wait until 24 hours prior to the YVR-NRT segment.

I had been waiting to hear back from an agent via messaging when I called, so just told the agent I'd call back at T-24 to that flight. Messaging agent got back to me shortly after, and was able to do this for me, and letting me know he was able to 'successfully waive' the additional charges.

So was confused. Has there been a change in policy on this (I haven't run into this situation for a long time, but pretty sure I have had something similar done in the past)? While I'm glad the text agent was able to make the change, wording they used made It sound like they were doing me a favor. I appreciate it either way, but wondering what the policy is supposed to be these days.
Did you try to change seats using the app? When you viewed your itininerary on the app did it show all flights? I don't know if the programmers behind the app know the rules on the website, but united.com is very clear that Silvers can choose Y+ seats when checking in if available.

From United.com: "Premier Silver members continue to enjoy complimentary space-available access to Economy Plus for themselves and one companion upon check-in."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
Did you try to change seats using the app? When you viewed your itininerary on the app did it show all flights? I don't know if the programmers behind the app know the rules on the website, but united.com is very clear that Silvers can choose Y+ seats when checking in if available.

From United.com: "Premier Silver members continue to enjoy complimentary space-available access to Economy Plus for themselves and one companion upon check-in."
If this was ticketed with ANA — which I suspect it was — the UA record would generally start with the previous flight before the UA-operated one. That might explain why the agent said OP needed to wait until 24 hours prior to the NRT-YVR flight, because that’d the first one on the UA PNR.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
If this was ticketed with ANA — which I suspect it was — the UA record would generally start with the previous flight before the UA-operated one. That might explain why the agent said OP needed to wait until 24 hours prior to the NRT-YVR flight, because that’d the first one on the UA PNR.
sorry - can clarify.

this is the return of an AC-ticketed SFO-YVR-NRT-SiN and return the same way - YVR-SFO is the segment involved (I mis-typed earlier) and only UA segment. Check in was with ANA.

UA website/app generally does not allow one to touch anything once checked in via OAL until boarded on the last non-UA segment. Didn’t want to wait that long, obviously. When clicking the ‘choose your seat’ button that appears on the UA app, it brought up a window that checkin can not be completed via UA (or something to that effect).

sounds like I’m correct that I should have been able to select E+ as of check in time, but for the issue with checking in OAL. So sounds like the ‘waiving’ of the charge should be correct, regardless of whether that is accurate wording?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.