Preferred companion access: companion(s) on same PNR
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 Lifetime miles minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 70 lbs./32 kg
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Economy Saver Awards: Yes
Free Same Day Change: Yes

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Archive: United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
sorry - can clarify.

this is the return of an AC-ticketed SFO-YVR-NRT-SiN and return the same way - YVR-SFO is the segment involved (I mis-typed earlier) and only UA segment. Check in was with ANA.

UA website/app generally does not allow one to touch anything once checked in via OAL until boarded on the last non-UA segment. Didn’t want to wait that long, obviously. When clicking the ‘choose your seat’ button that appears on the UA app, it brought up a window that checkin can not be completed via UA (or something to that effect).

sounds like I’m correct that I should have been able to select E+ as of check in time, but for the issue with checking in OAL. So sounds like the ‘waiving’ of the charge should be correct, regardless of whether that is accurate wording?
I think ‘waiving’ is the correct wording; fees were due, and they were waived.

Fees were due because you hadn’t checked in with UA yet. They were waived as a courtesy, and while I suspect you’d probably have similar results in the future, I wouldn’t guarantee it.

When you view the reservation using the UA PNR, do you see the SIN-NRT segment? The industry standard would be for AC only to communicate to UA the parts of the record it needs to care about — the last inbound flight prior to UA travel, and then every segment after that.

That would explain the otherwise incomprehensible statement from the phone rep that you should try again 24 hours prior to departure of your NRT-YVR flight; at that point, the UA computer would presumably recognize that the check-in window had opened (even though you wouldn’t be able to check in with UA, as you pointed out).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:34 pm

Will Silver Get Upgraded to Economy Plus?

As a lowly United Mileage Plus Silver member I know I can get available upgrade to E+ at Check-in.

For an upcoming flight I paid for E+ seats.

1) Will the fee I paid for E+ be refunded if there are still E+ seats open at Check-in?

2) If so, will I be able to keep the same seats I booked?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by milemonkey
As a lowly United Mileage Plus Silver member I know I can get available upgrade to E+ at Check-in.

1) Will the fee I paid for E+ be refunded if there are still E+ seats open at Check-in?

No, unfortunately.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milemonkey

1) Of course not. You have a choice - pay for the seat you want that is available at booking (or anytime after, really), or take your chances for whatever is left at check in time - it’s free, but, again, it’s taking your chances.
SPN Lifer and gcashin like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
And please don't use the term "upgrade" to refer to E+. It's not an upgrade, just a different set of seats in the same cabin.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:59 pm

Rough chances of getting E+ on DEN-LIH at check in for a flight in 3 weeks? Looks like ~⅔ of E+ has already been reserved.

Last edited by triplehog22; Aug 1, 2022 at 6:07 pm
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by triplehog22
Rough chances of getting E+ on DEN-LIH at check in? Looks like ~⅔ of E+ has already been reserved.
Tomorrow, yes. 8 months from now, maybe a middle seat. If you provide a flight date, you might get better wrong guesses
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Tomorrow, yes. 8 months from now, maybe a middle seat. If you provide a flight date, you might get better wrong guesses
😂 oops! Departing three weeks from now!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
😂 oops! Departing three weeks from now!
I'm gonna guess you should be able to get an E+ window or aisle fairly easily 3 weeks from now. Hawaii is sort of a plan-ahead type of destination so the fill ought to be slow in the next couple of weeks and it's getting into the start of school then, too.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Rough chances of getting E+ on DEN-LIH at check in for a flight in 3 weeks? Looks like ~⅔ of E+ has already been reserved.
In my five years (2013, 2015-2016, 2016-2018) as Premier Silver I never was on a flight where I wasn't able to get an E+ seat. Especially as presumably some of the people in E+ will be upgraded and there are often E+ seats not released until check in.
SPN Lifer, chemengin and 8MiHi like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:18 am

Bag allowance for Silver?

Flying in Y to Europe and wondering what the bag allowance is for premier silver. Is it 2x 50lb or 2x 70lb?

In the allowance for the app, it says 2x 50, but when I go to the baggage calculator (here) it says 2x70. Wiki above also says 2x50?

If it’s 2x 70, does this cover the entire party on the PNR?

Update for those searching: It’s 70lb limit for Premier Silver, confirmed when I checked in.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jayceevee; Aug 12, 2022 at 9:36 am
Old Apr 15, 2023, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
A Silver is traveling on a PNR with two other passengers. If the Silver hopes to get E+ for himself and one other passenger upon check-in, does the PNR need to be split to accomplish that? Or can he simply move himself and one other passenger to E+ during check-in, while the third remains in E-?
Old Apr 16, 2023, 1:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
A Silver is traveling on a PNR with two other passengers. If the Silver hopes to get E+ for himself and one other passenger upon check-in, does the PNR need to be split to accomplish that? ...
No

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Or can he simply move himself and one other passenger to E+ during check-in, while the third remains in E-?
Believe you have to call if not splitting..
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Limited *A benefits for UA Silver ? No bag waiver

Sorry little rusty on star alliance benefits.

My brother is a UA silver. He told me to f he flies LH his 1 free baggage allowance isn’t applicable and he must pay $75.

Does LH not honor silver SA?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:22 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Was his MileagePlus number on the reservation, and did it show the correct *A status as silver?

*A silver does not have extra baggage allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.