Preferred companion access: companion(s) on same PNR
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 Lifetime miles minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 70 lbs./32 kg
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Economy Saver Awards: Yes
Free Same Day Change: Yes

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Archive: United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PTahCha
*A silver does not have extra baggage allowance.
*A silvers regardless don’t get a free bag? Is that what you’re saying?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
From UA.com, under benefits for baggage, footnote #2 (related to checked baggage) states the following:

"Complimentary checked baggage allowance applicable only on United® and United Express® operated flights and is determined by Premier status at time of check-in with United. To determine specific checked baggage service charges, please use the Baggage Calculator."

Source: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...its-chart.html

Regards
enviroian likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
When flying partners, UA Silver get listed *S benefits which DOES NOT include any bag allowance
https://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits-and-privileges

What happen on LH is what to expect on other non-UA *A carrier

UA for its Premier Silver Elites provides 1 bag allowance on UA flights --- but just for UA Premier Silver elites, and just if checking in with UA and no bag allowance for non-UA *S
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When flying partners, UA Silver get listed *S benefits which DOES NOT include any bag allowance
https://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits-and-privileges

UA for its Premier Silver Elites provides 1 bag allowance on UA flights --- but just for UA Premier Silver elites, and no bag allowance for non-UA *S
thanks for clarification. That really sucks to be a UA silver flying other airlines. Wonder what a gold on AA gets allowance wise flying BA.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for clarification. That really sucks to be a UA silver flying other airlines. Wonder what a gold on AA gets allowance wise flying BA.
Priority check-in, preferred/pre-reserved seating, and waitlist priority -- not much different from *A Silver, except for the seating benefit:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...e-partners.jsp (An AA Gold is OneWorld Ruby)
SPN Lifer and enviroian like this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 7:32 am

Silver Status on Itnernational flight - basic economy, family seating, partner fligh?

Apologize if this is a silly question - I am new to United Silver Status and looking to book a ticket RDU to MUC (layover city to be determined - but most likely flight there on United Metal and home on Air Canada through YYZ) if that makes a difference.

We will be traveling with our 5 year old, so sitting next to each other is a must, as it maybe 2 checked bags between the three of us (possibly get by with one).

Any way- Silver status gets me free bags- does it get me free seat selection? The flights are about $200 less, and silly to pay that if there is really no difference. Or as an alternative- could I book basic economy (as long as I get free bags) and then pay for seat selection (assuming it makes financial sense)

Edit- I trierd to book a dummy booking- I could pay $20 for the the domestic leg on the the outbound flight- but the flight from ORD to MUC was on a partner airline- so I guess it must by Lufthansa on that particular routing, and I cannot choose a seat at time of booking. Any idea if I could pick a seat later for a fee on BE? Although I am guessing I would eat up the $200 savings pretty quick with 4 segments, so likely not worth it

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2023 at 12:11 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts / update by same member
Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scotttyd
Any way- Silver status gets me free bags- does it get me free seat selection?
No.

Or as an alternative- could I book basic economy (as long as I get free bags) and then pay for seat selection (assuming it makes financial sense)
Yes, for UA-operated flights.

Edit- I trierd to book a dummy booking- I could pay $20 for the the domestic leg on the the outbound flight- but the flight from ORD to MUC was on a partner airline- so I guess it must by Lufthansa on that particular routing, and I cannot choose a seat at time of booking. Any idea if I could pick a seat later for a fee on BE?
Getting LH seat assignments on a codeshare flight, as I recall, tends to be a persistent problem. Your Silver status does not translate to anything on Lufthansa, and IIRC, Lufthansa charges for seat assignments for most passengers, and there seems to be some challenges in getting them: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...odeshares.html

If you want to take advantage of your Silver status in any meaningful way, you need UA-operated flights. That includes your luggage benefit -- if you book Air Canada via YYZ on the return, as you've suggested, you'll have no free luggage.
SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
No.

Yes, for UA-operated flights.

Getting LH seat assignments on a codeshare flight, as I recall, tends to be a persistent problem. Your Silver status does not translate to anything on Lufthansa, and IIRC, Lufthansa charges for seat assignments for most passengers, and there seems to be some challenges in getting them: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...odeshares.html

If you want to take advantage of your Silver status in any meaningful way, you need UA-operated flights. That includes your luggage benefit -- if you book Air Canada via YYZ on the return, as you've suggested, you'll have no free luggage.
thanks - looks like what I was thinking- basic economy won't work bc we need to be seated next to each other - I guess the bigger question now is how will seat selection work with the little one on the partner flights - I really don't care if we are in the back of the plane- we just need to be seated together,
Old Dec 9, 2023, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks - looks like what I was thinking- basic economy won't work bc we need to be seated next to each other - I guess the bigger question now is how will seat selection work with the little one on the partner flights - I really don't care if we are in the back of the plane- we just need to be seated together,
Seat selection on partner flights is an inexact science. If UA-operated flights work for you, you can also take advantage of UA's policy for free seat assignments for one parent and a child under 12: United Makes It Easier for Families to Sit Together . If not, you're going to be at the mercy of the operating airline. I don't think any *A airline would intentionally split a young child from a parent (I wouldn't put it past RyanAir ) but you may have to work it out with gate agents.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Silver gets free econ plus seating on olci..
Old Dec 9, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aacharya
OP's title says basic economy where premier seating benefits do not apply. They also don't apply to partner airlines.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Scotttyd like this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 1:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
But the point is that is just on UA (if not BE) and not on partner flights which is part of the OP's query.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:50 pm

Programs: Chase, United
I am newly silver, and extremely inexperience. Past advice has been not to expect upgrades, and that the benefits are free E+ at checkin , free bag, and BG2.

But say you can expense any economy ticket, and you are very picky about seats, that is, willing to pay to make as sure as possible to get E+ and in particular an aisle E+. Is this so easy that I should buy regular E rather than E+ and just expect all to be well at check in?

Also, is there some way to know in advance about the possibility of immediate upgrade, as rare as that is supposed to be?

Finally, is there some way to get on a list for a possible free upgrade, as unlikely as that is supposed to be?

Sorry for my inexperience and thanks in advance!

oops - now I see -- manage booking shows that free upgrades automatically requested -- presumably, it would also say if they immediately cleared, so they did not.

Still, should I have bought a fully refundable E (rather than E+) just to see if that immediately clears? (I just bought and so could easily cancel)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 16, 2024 at 10:02 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I’m not 100% sure what you are asking

if it is about the chance of getting an E+ this is not treated as upgrade by UA unlike Delta. You can see on the seat map how many are still free and select for a fee at any point to lock it in. You will pick any for free when you check in for the flight usually 24 hours before. Any of those E+ seats could be taken by a gold or above at booking or anyone else who pays the fees. If you are picky I’d just pay.

as for first class it’s really not worth giving any thought. A good indication it might clear is you can see you position on the list from two days before on the flight status page on the app. It can happen but is so rare best not to worry about it
zoechow and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 8:19 pm

Programs: Chase, United
Ok, now I see that the fare search allows to specify an interest in upgrades. But I'm now confused at what I see there. When selecting, it quotes a 20k mileage amount and also says "upgrade waitlist". If I click through to get to the point of about to choose seats, one of them I chose says "upgrade available" (I am assuming this is what I will pay miles for) and the other still says "waitlist".)

I might be willing to pay those miles.

Do I have that right: if it says upgrade available and quotes mileage amount, I am locking in the upgrade at purchase?

And, if it says waitlist and quotes a mileage amount -- what? It will charge me the miles but maybe upgrade? It won't charge me the miles until I upgrade, and if I fail I'm stuck with a regular E seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.