Preferred companion access: companion(s) on same PNR
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 Lifetime miles minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 70 lbs./32 kg
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Economy Saver Awards: Yes
Free Same Day Change: Yes

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Archive: United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:22 am

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In the Star Alliance, *Silver have very few formal benefits, but a few carriers add things like priority checkin. This email was informational and not new general benefits. Seems just AC or LH group related, which are UA TATL JV partners (and I think the LH Groups benefit has been there for awhile)
*G benefits are more uniform and better documented.
Good point, could you update the thread title so it's less click-baity, then please? Uhhh something like

2024-03-01 UA*Silver New Benefits: Priority check-in (AC LH LX OS SN EN 4Y), Priority boarding (AC Zone 3)
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Seems like these are UA*S-specific benefits due to UA's JV relationship, and not for other *A Silver members?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Premier bump at OLCI: What's the procedure?

Fairly new Premier Silver here. When I OLCI the day before departure, at which time I'm eligible for a space-available bump to E+, how does that work? When I initiate the check-in process can I choose my E+ seat right away, or must I complete checkin, then go back and choose my new E+ seat?

Similarly, if by some miracle I get a bump to Biz/First (not holding my breath), does UA assign the new seats for those cabins, or do I follow the same procedure as for E+?

TIA.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
You should be able to choose an E+ seat during the check-in process. If you do get CPU to First, they will usually auto assign you a seat, but you can go in an select another seat if available.
SPN Lifer and trmbn65 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bob12403
Fairly new Premier Silver here. When I OLCI the day before departure, at which time I'm eligible for a space-available bump to E+, how does that work? When I initiate the check-in process can I choose my E+ seat right away, or must I complete checkin, then go back and choose my new E+ seat?

Similarly, if by some miracle I get a bump to Biz/First (not holding my breath), does UA assign the new seats for those cabins, or do I follow the same procedure as for E+?
During OLCI, there is an option to change your seat, and you can select whatever economy seat you want (including E+). Most of the time, it's only middles left, so I just stay in my row 23 aisle or window seat.

If you do get upgraded, you should receive a text notification (if you opted-in for those). I've never received an app notification. You will get automagically assigned a seat in F, then you need to go back into the app (or gate agent) to switch seats (if available).
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In the Star Alliance, *Silver have very few formal benefits, but a few carriers add things like priority checkin. This email was informational and not new general benefits. Seems just AC or LH group related, which are UA TATL JV partners (and I think the LH Groups benefit has been there for awhile)
*G benefits are more uniform and better documented.
if the AC/LH priority checkin benefits are new, that’s news to me that they’ve existed - say this as a multi-year silver, with many of my trips Transborder on AC, though my LH flying has been pretty limited.

Originally Posted by bob12403
TIA.
At check in, go to change your seat and you can select anything still available in E+ for free.

Just a heads up that if you are connecting, if the second+ flight is still over 24 hours away, you can still select the seat for free. However, unless something is changed recently, when you actually select the seat for that flight, it will show you a charge, but when you save the new selections, rather than bring you to a payment page, it will just bring you back to the reservation, with the changed seat assignment sticking.
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:58 pm

Programs: Chase, United
I'm a new silver, still struggling to understand the benefits.

I can in theory be upgraded? So I have to buy the thing that costs money and miles, and says it puts me on a waitlist, is that correct?

I'm Los Angeles <> EWR. But SNA is actually more convenient for me, which might help here. If I buy eco and place myself on the upgrade waitlist ... Are the chances better flying out of SNA vs. LAX? When would I generally know whether I had been upgraded?

tia, zc

Hmmm, I'm clearly not understanding, because this way of doing it charges me a bunch of miles -- so it is not a complimentary upgrade. Am I paying the miles to just increase the chances? They seem deducted immediately, so would they be refunded if I don't get an upgrade?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 12, 2024 at 9:04 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by zoechow
Hmmm, I'm clearly not understanding, because this way of doing it charges me a bunch of miles -- so it is not a complimentary upgrade. Am I paying the miles to just increase the chances? They seem deducted immediately, so would they be refunded if I don't get an upgrade?
I'm a new silver, still struggling to understand the benefits.

I can in theory be upgraded? So I have to buy the thing that costs money and miles, and says it puts me on a waitlist, is that correct?

I'm Los Angeles <> EWR. But SNA is actually more convenient for me, which might help here. If I buy eco and place myself on the upgrade waitlist ... Are the chances better flying out of SNA vs. LAX? When would I generally know whether I had been upgraded?

tia, zc
Quick rundown is EWR-LAX and EWR-SFO direct is a premium flight so no one gets free upgrades. That route only supports instrument upgrades where you apply miles to get on the wailist. Other domestic routes support complimentary upgrade where you are on the upgrade wait-list without adding miles. As a silver, you can check your position within 24 hours of the flight to see where you are on the list and the earliest you can be upgraded is T-24hr of flight departure. Note as a silver, upgrades are extremely hard to come by unless the flight is completely empty. If you use miles on a flight that offers complimentary upgrades, you have higher priority than all other complimentary upgrades including top status like 1k.
uanj likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:24 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
I am silver too. The perks are few. We CAN pick a seat in E+ (more leg room) on check in if one is available. And we qualify for “Saver” awards when redeeming miles. But being upgraded, like to business class, isn’t going to happen for us, sadly. . .

We do get 1 free checked bag - 70 lbs. and earn 7 miles per $1 spent.
SPN Lifer, uanj, zoechow and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I'm a new silver, still struggling to understand the benefits. ...
Benefits are listed on the UA website. CPU (Complimentary Premier Upgrade) requested/waitlist is complimentary/automatic with most domestic ticket purchases (and award tickets if holding certain UA credit cards) except for Basic Economy tickets and will display on your itinerary on the website as below. Unsure if “premium transcon" routes (LAX/SFO-EWR) are CPU eligible, I believe they are not. SNA-EWR (if available) might be CPU eligible (possibly to domestic 1st, not lay flat). CPU can clear at any time as per the timeframes listed on the website. Upgrade list in priority order is easily viewable on the app or website on flight status pages.

Realistically speaking, as a Silver, your chances for a CPU are slim to none and with all due respect as the expression goes, slim just left town. As a LT Gold Million Miler, for ~15 flights this year (LGA/ORD/DEN/SLC) I’ve cleared 0 (zero) CPUs and averaged #10-15 on a list of 25-40 eligible for a fully booked 1st class cabin of 8-16 seats. Last year IIRC I got 1 or 2 CPUs in ~20 eligible flights.

Congratulations on your new status. Main benefits to me are free checked bags (and skis) and being able to select complimentary Economy Plus Seats. (I recommend emergency exit row window as the safest economy cabin seat.) Not as sweet as 1K or GS but better than bupkis.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Mar 12, 2024 at 9:28 pm Reason: forgot quote of to whom reply was directed
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:03 pm

Programs: Chase, United
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Quick rundown is EWR-LAX and EWR-SFO direct is a premium flight so no one gets free upgrades. That route only supports instrument upgrades where you apply miles to get on the wailist. Other domestic routes support complimentary upgrade where you are on the upgrade wait-list without adding miles. As a silver, you can check your position within 24 hours of the flight to see where you are on the list and the earliest you can be upgraded is T-24hr of flight departure. Note as a silver, upgrades are extremely hard to come by unless the flight is completely empty. If you use miles on a flight that offers complimentary upgrades, you have higher priority than all other complimentary upgrades including top status like 1k.
Thanks! So the CPU requires happens automatically (assuming not basic fare)?

Also, with the MUA, are the miles initially deducted, but then refunded if I don't get upgrade?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Thanks! So the CPU requires happens automatically (assuming not basic fare)? …
Welcome. Yes.

… MUA, are the miles initially deducted, but then refunded if I don't get upgrade? Thanks!
I’m not certain, I believe so, hopefully someone else will reply/confirm.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, with the MUA, are the miles initially deducted, but then refunded if I don't get upgrade?
Yes, that's correct, but keep an eye on them because sometimes UA seems to need a reminder, and you have to call in to get them refunded.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by VWang1111
…If you use miles on a flight that offers complimentary upgrades, you have higher priority than all other complimentary upgrades including top status like 1k.
In reality, a lot of people will still be waitlisted ahead of a Silver requesting a mileage upgrade on longer routes. Silvers should not be expecting high chances of CPU or mileage upgrades on any transcon route. Usually the best benefit is a E+ seat, and even that might be a middle seat on packed flights.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
As a UA MileagePlus™ Premier Silver member for the better part of a decade, I concur with the foregoing.

I do like Economy Plus (E+) at check-in; it helps to pick less-popular flights, and to "babysit" the seat map during those last 24 hours. Group 2 boarding is nice, too.

To me, the other principal benefit of being a Premier Silver is the 500-mile minimum per segment for lifetime mileage accrual purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.