Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trini19
I agree. I meant in general, can a captain or FA force someone off a plane for other than a potential safety issue?
Pilot? Yes.

Flight attendant? No.

But the pilot will back up the flight attendant just about every time.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS
Remember, women were thrown off the plane for wearing mini skirts
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: GS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, *gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Since this was referred to somewhere around page 6, it is hopefully only slightly off topic. And I apologize in advance if the party to whom I refer is a contributor on this board.

On a recent flight from SFO-KOA, my wife and I were standing in line for about 15 minutes waiting to board. This was due to a) the boarding being delayed 20 minutes and b) my wife who is just over a year removed from double knee replacement needs to stand to stretch whenever she can (especially before a long flight) as well as moving a bit slowly. As we were standing at the front of Group 1, a gentleman (and boy do I use the term loosely) said loud enough for the entire line to hear "I hate the lice that stand in this line and have to be first on board". Showing far more self control than I thought I had, I simply ignored him...............until he said it again! At which point, despite my wife's protestations, I walked back to where he was standing and did 2 things..........First, I showed him my Boarding pass which clearly indicated that the front of the line was where we were supposed to be. Then, I informed him the next time he referred to either my wife or me in with that disparaging term, his next trip to paradise might be one way.

I know, I am not proud of myself but the snark that passes for humor these days just amazes me sometimes. I know I now fully qualify for being the biggest DYKWIA on the flight, but to shoot off your mouth without a clue as to the situation you are commenting on just makes me shake my head.

OK, rip away.
Kudos to you, there is no shame in standing up for your wife or yourself.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: GS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, *gold
Sitting in F today from MEX to IAH, some DYKWIA boards late and is clearly frustrated that there is nearly no overhead bin space left. He says (almost shouting), "common people can't you understand I need space too?" I almost laughed out loud as there was plenty of space, now it took some FA's moving stuff around as they only know how to do, but it all surely fit. And several PAX approached him after the FA placed his baggage and asked if he was good or if there was any other space he needed and they offered to move their stuff to accommodate and all commented that they would have done it sooner if there were not other PAX in the way at the time. Classic...
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by micmcguire
Kudos to you, there is no shame in standing up for your wife or yourself.
I'm not sure I would have been able to shut up as well, especially because there was a medical reason for standing up, but in saying, "I hate the lice that stand in this line and have to be first on board", he was not questioning your credentials to be in group one, just questioning why people line up so early on the premier loading lane.

Let's face it - I think that too and I laugh at pictures like this --

but in this case, you have a good excuse.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
He must have been fairly drunk already. Hope they revoke his GS.
That would be perfect, but then he'd just be another over-entitled 1K!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
He must have been fairly drunk already. Hope they revoke his GS.
That would be perfect, but then he'd just be another over-entitled 1K!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Anyone who uses the term "Lice" regardless of status, etc is just showing what little class he/she has. funny how this disgusting term is used mainly by FT'ers, the people that game the system more then anyone else. I get a kick out of someone on an award calling others "lice" yet that same "passenger" is the one walking home from LGA cuz he can't afford a taxi.

I very rarely fly Etihad as I just prefer EK but every blue moon Etihad is the only fight that works for me. I have no status wight them and 90% of the miles I have with them are thru my local credit card. So, I guess even thug Im a 20 year 1K with UA and a founding member of Skywards (and Plat as well), I must be "lice" when i fly Etihad. Ive said this before, I know people with private jets, no FF membership and can buy and sell almost anyone. Occasionally they must fly commercial for whatever reason. Are they lice:?

Last edited by chinatraderjmr; Sep 21, 2014 at 10:54 am
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Since this was referred to somewhere around page 6, it is hopefully only slightly off topic. And I apologize in advance if the party to whom I refer is a contributor on this board.

On a recent flight from SFO-KOA, my wife and I were standing in line for about 15 minutes waiting to board. This was due to a) the boarding being delayed 20 minutes and b) my wife who is just over a year removed from double knee replacement needs to stand to stretch whenever she can (especially before a long flight) as well as moving a bit slowly. As we were standing at the front of Group 1, a gentleman (and boy do I use the term loosely) said loud enough for the entire line to hear "I hate the lice that stand in this line and have to be first on board". Showing far more self control than I thought I had, I simply ignored him...............until he said it again! At which point, despite my wife's protestations, I walked back to where he was standing and did 2 things..........First, I showed him my Boarding pass which clearly indicated that the front of the line was where we were supposed to be. Then, I informed him the next time he referred to either my wife or me in with that disparaging term, his next trip to paradise might be one way.

I know, I am not proud of myself but the snark that passes for humor these days just amazes me sometimes. I know I now fully qualify for being the biggest DYKWIA on the flight, but to shoot off your mouth without a clue as to the situation you are commenting on just makes me shake my head.

OK, rip away.
My comment is that you are lucky you were not arrested, at worst, and denied boarding, at least.

While I agree the jerk was a boor, that is not a capital offense.

You over-reacted. But I think you already knew that.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Sep 20, 2014 at 7:42 am
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: United, Turkish
DW is handicapped but not in a wheelchair. Normally she sits in the HC area and boards when they call for special boarding. I carry or roll her bags. Often the configuration of the gate makes it very crowded. They had made the special needs call and I was helping DW and carrying the bags when a an outraged 20s ish male passenger yelled at me "there's a line here who the hell do you think you are are?" I held up DW's handicapped hang tag and his much older female traveling companion said to him, quite loudly
"Why are you always such an ***hole?"

I hope it was his mother. But it made my day
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Anyone who uses the term "Lice" regardless of status, etc is just showing what little class he/she has. funny how this disgusting term is used mainly by FT'ers, the people that game the system more then anyone else. I get a kick out of someone on an award calling others "lice" yet that same "passenger" is the one walking home from LGA cuz he can't afford a taxi.

I very rarely fly Etihad as I just prefer EK but every blue moon Etihad is the only fight that works for me. I have no status wight them and 90% of the miles I have with them are thru my local credit card. So, I guess even thug Im a 20 year 1K with UA and a founding member of Skywards (and Plat as well), I must be "lice" when i fly Etihad. Ive said this before, I know people with rivage jets, no FF membership and can buy and sell almost anyone. Occasionally they must fly commercial for whatever reason. Are they lice:?
I agree that calling people 'lice' is offensive, and I don't know anyone with a rivage jet.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:49 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by micmcguire
Sitting in F today from MEX to IAH, some DYKWIA boards late and is clearly frustrated that there is nearly no overhead bin space left. He says (almost shouting), "common people can't you understand I need space too?" I almost laughed out loud as there was plenty of space, now it took some FA's moving stuff around as they only know how to do, but it all surely fit. And several PAX approached him after the FA placed his baggage and asked if he was good or if there was any other space he needed and they offered to move their stuff to accommodate and all commented that they would have done it sooner if there were not other PAX in the way at the time. Classic...
Perhaps their was a group from the House of Commons that boarded before him and took the space? Or perhaps the entourage of rapper/actor "Common" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_(rapper) Or perhaps he said "Come on people..." with a bit of an accent?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

I very rarely fly Etihad as I just prefer EK but every blue moon Etihad is the only fight that works for me. I have no status wight them and 90% of the miles I have with them are thru my local credit card. So, I guess even thug Im a 20 year 1K with UA and a founding member of Skywards (and Plat as well), I must be "lice" when i fly Etihad. Ive said this before, I know people with rivage jets, no FF membership and can buy and sell almost anyone. Occasionally they must fly commercial for whatever reason. Are they lice:?

I think you are missing the meaning of "gate lice" - most often, these are people with status, and most often with a DYKWIA attitude that they must be special because they fly around the country presenting powerpoints and meeting clients, therefore noone dare board before them, even if it means camping out at the gate half an hour before boarding. See pic few posts up.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:17 am

Anyone who uses the term "Lice" regardless of status, etc is just showing what little class he/she has.
Hopefully the phrase "kettle" will stick around. It always brings a smile to my face. I loved those movies as a kid plus as a lowly platinum, I'm really one of them.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I think you are missing the meaning of "gate lice" - most often, these are people with status, and most often with a DYKWIA attitude that they must be special because they fly around the country presenting powerpoints and meeting clients, therefore noone dare board before them, even if it means camping out at the gate half an hour before boarding. See pic few posts up.
Forgetting about the attitude issue, why does it bother you if people stand at the gate (for however long) before boarding? You don't have to do it if you don't wish to, but it seems as if you might have a bit of an attitude if you feel you must judge people just because they are standing at the gate. I generally stand at the gate, at least in part because I will be sitting down (or hopefully lying flat) for the next 7-14 hours. You are welcome to sit down if you wish, but don't judge others who may choose to stand at the gate. You may think that you know their attitudes, but you really don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.