Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
He stops at the bottom of the escalator to baggage, blocking everyone behind him to ask the TSA agent where to go for rental cars.
I'm not sure which is worse, stopping at the bottom of the escalator or at the top of the escalator! Clueless, presumably, that he's the one most at risk of being toppled and injured...
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by lancelot21
I'm not sure which is worse, stopping at the bottom of the escalator or at the top of the escalator! Clueless, presumably, that he's the one most at risk of being toppled and injured...
As far as he was concerned nobody else existed.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
ATL to IAH last Thursday.

Started in the lounge. As I was walking out a very frustrated older man was too, upset that his first class domestic ticket didn't give him lounge access. "This is why I never fly UA" he says. Sure enough Mr Important was on my flight.

As they were lining up everyone to board he goes up to the GA and says I'm first class where do I go? She points to Group 1. He says no I'm first class I should be ahead of these people. Oh and my friend isn't here yet and he should be boarding with me, or he should get to cut the line too if I'm already on the plane.

Worst part was the gate agent let him go ahead of Group 1, after GS/1K.

Well 2 hours later we deplane due to a mechanical, flight is kicked to the next day.

Had one more run in with him in Houston. He stops at the bottom of the escalator to baggage, blocking everyone behind him to ask the TSA agent where to go for rental cars.
Older man, bit confused. I would cut him a break rather than DYKWIA him
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
That could totally be my Dad.... His knowledge of the real world ended about 20 year ago....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2022 at 12:26 am Reason: removed deleted post quote
Old Oct 31, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
50/50 here... The asking for directions I'd say isn't DYKWIA (though some situational awareness to move out of the flow of traffic would generally be appreciated -- I know I've been in airports with below average wayfinding signage and if things are already not going your way [delay, etc.] it's very easy to become fixated on the task and lose awareness of anything else, elderly or not)

On the other hand, insisting that because you're in first you should/need to board other than when the GA has clearly indicated the proper location (and that an unseen colleague needs to jump the line too)... About a 2-3 on the DYKWIA scale, IMO.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2022 at 12:27 am Reason: removed deleted post quote
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
....On the other hand, insisting that because you're in first you should/need to board other than when the GA has clearly indicated the proper location (and that an unseen colleague needs to jump the line too)...
Yeah - he thought he was really special and didn't need to bother with the boarding protocol indicated to him. Definite;ly a DYKWIA, especially with the denial at the UC ("this is why I don't fly UA anymore" - although he had a UA ticket ). He probably flies WN mostly, so hasn't run into lounge issues or F tickets before.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah - he thought he was really special and didn't need to bother with the boarding protocol indicated to him. Definite;ly a DYKWIA, especially with the denial at the UC ("this is why I don't fly UA anymore" - although he had a UA ticket ). He probably flies WN mostly, so hasn't run into lounge issues or F tickets before.
I don't know if you were aware, but he was in first class, so he should get everything.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I would think each and every person who buys their first First Class ticket thinks it gets them into the lounge. And there may be more people doing that on a given day than there are posting on FT. Heck, I might have thought that the first time I ever flew F, too, but it is too long ago to remember.

Polaris lounges must get that the worst. I have visited them twice so far, and both times someone was trying to talk their way in. I used to see that a lot at the old GlobalFirst lounge at IAD as well.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I would think each and every person who buys their first First Class ticket thinks it gets them into the lounge. And there may be more people doing that on a given day than there are posting on FT. Heck, I might have thought that the first time I ever flew F, too, but it is too long ago to remember.

Polaris lounges must get that the worst. I have visited them twice so far, and both times someone was trying to talk their way in. I used to see that a lot at the old GlobalFirst lounge at IAD as well.
The fact that "some" First (Business) gets you in doesn't help the confusions -- I've overheard some "but I could get in on my last ticket..." where the conversation was roughly "Where were you flying?" "Istanbul" "Where are you flying today?" "San Diego" "Oh...(explanation follows). But I've also been standing next to a club agent in a hub who when asked by another traveler said INTL J on a *A carrier (no status) didn't allow UC access.... I was like... are you sure about that? She said "pretty sure but (to other traveler) why don't you try scanning your boarding pass and we'll see..." and whaddya know... green lights and a welcome to the club followed by a "Huh. I wonder when that changed?" -- so it's not always the passengers who are confused
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 30, 2024 at 12:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.