Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by LIH
Yes but collecting the stickers is fun.
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I'm curious how this came up, as far as I know the ICTS person looks at your travel docs and gives you the sticker after asking BS questions. Wouldn't the check in agent be the one determining if the route is authorized or not?
Well, if your ESTA was not up to date OR if you had a green card issue, then the ICTS person would flag you.
From what I saw, the check in agent was on the same page and he was also extremely confrontational with her too.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Although the explosion was bad form, including waving the GS flag, I have to agree the security person has no knowledge or authority to determine what route or itinerary a passenger may fly, that is the sole determination of the airline. I probably would have lost my cool too, although without shrieking “1K!! 1K!!”

Those ICTS people are a relic of another era and really should be done away with by now. I’ve never understood their purpose
ARN was a good 5 minute interview asking very detailed questions. FRA is not as bad but they seem to love repeating the same questions twice from different agents. I'm wondering how the ICTS guy at LIS came to that conclusion.

Originally Posted by LIH
Yes but collecting the stickers is fun.
I agree on this one, stamps are getting rarer these days but one can at least reflect on past trip via the stickers.

Originally Posted by benewr
Well, if your ESTA was not up to date OR if you had a green card issue, then the ICTS person would flag you.
From what I saw, the check in agent was on the same page and he was also extremely confrontational with her too.
Yes, if you do not have the correct documents, you're not boarding. Period. However, I do find it weird it being phrased that way as in "not authorized to fly the booked route" by a (useless) doc checker.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did the DYKWIA make it onto the plane?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Did the DYKWIA make it onto the plane?
I did not see him at boarding and in the Polaris cabin.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did not see him at boarding and in the Polaris cabin.
Well here's hoping that tantrum has indeed gotten the policia to 'KW' he is.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: UA1K
Had a delight the other morning on UA2...a younger couple in front of me were extremely condescending to the Changi security folks as well as the gate agents...."of course I get extra security screening, it must be my Louis Vuitton bag, these people have no idea what they're doing, they just want to look at our stuff". When they got to the agents to board they asked about the +Points upgrades they put in for, the agents told them that they didn't go through, to which they responded, "what do you mean, we're #1 on the list!" then proceeded to stand in line loudly complaining that the gate agents didn't know what they were doing, that outstation agents don't know the rules, etc. They most definitely weren't #1 on the list, as others were upgraded before them (including me), and I smiled my biggest smile at them as they headed to Y.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by n12hx
Had a delight the other morning on UA2...a younger couple in front of me were extremely condescending to the Changi security folks as well as the gate agents...."of course I get extra security screening, it must be my Louis Vuitton bag, these people have no idea what they're doing, they just want to look at our stuff". When they got to the agents to board they asked about the +Points upgrades they put in for, the agents told them that they didn't go through, to which they responded, "what do you mean, we're #1 on the list!" then proceeded to stand in line loudly complaining that the gate agents didn't know what they were doing, that outstation agents don't know the rules, etc. They most definitely weren't #1 on the list, as others were upgraded before them (including me), and I smiled my biggest smile at them as they headed to Y.
Karma...
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I do find it weird it being phrased that way as in "not authorized to fly the booked route" by a (useless) doc checker.
Why? If you don't have a valid pasport (or visa if required), you're not flying an international route, but you're free to fly domestic (or Schengen in this case). It's all route-dependent.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Flying from EWR this past weekend, CPUs cleared for me and my wife right as boarding started into the last two F seats on a CRJ-550, with another two names on the list behind us. We boarded with group 2 and got to our seats to see the woman in 1D (with a tiny dog wearing a Service Dog vest) glaring at us. She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"

I'm Silver and my wife has no status on UA, so the prepackaged cheese and crackers definitely tasted like victory lol. Her dog also spent the entire flight barking and crying, but that's a discussion for a different thread I think...
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ssb2045
She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"
United has a very powerful way to signify that you want to sit in the same cabin as someone else: It's called buying/booking the seat you want when you want it. 98% of the time it's guaranteed to work, and the other 2% it's definitely United's fault and worth grousing about.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying from EWR this past weekend, CPUs cleared for me and my wife right as boarding started into the last two F seats on a CRJ-550, with another two names on the list behind us. We boarded with group 2 and got to our seats to see the woman in 1D (with a tiny dog wearing a Service Dog vest) glaring at us. She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"

I'm Silver and my wife has no status on UA, so the prepackaged cheese and crackers definitely tasted like victory lol. Her dog also spent the entire flight barking and crying, but that's a discussion for a different thread I think...
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
United has a very powerful way to signify that you want to sit in the same cabin as someone else: It's called buying/booking the seat you want when you want it. 98% of the time it's guaranteed to work, and the other 2% it's definitely United's fault and worth grousing about.
​​​​Ah, the old Want First, Do Not Buy First strategy strikes again.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"
Sounds like a child.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If you want to make friends here's where you say "If it's important that you and your mother sit together, I'm sure that whoever's in the coach seat next to hers wouldn't mind swapping places with you"
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:25 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I just ran the stats and I'm actually at 99.4% on UA of "buy first, fly first" success since 2014 when I started tracking more of my own data. That's ~800 flights so seems statistically significant. That 0.6% was very... memorable... though.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: UA
From the moment I stepped on the flight this guy kept asking if it was full in the front, hes in row 30 center bulkhead on a 777 immediately puts his feet against the wall. All throughout boarding he asked the FAs about 6 times if it was full in front and everytime the FAs ask him to put his bag in the overheads, his seat mate asked him if he's #1 on the upgrade list and his reply is I don't know.

Update: he asked for a red wine before we even got to the taxiway. I wonder what his reaction will be when he finds out its not free in Y.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Sep 15, 2022 at 12:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.