Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
TOPIC CHECK

Let's remember this is the DYKWIA thread -- other discussion of UA are better in other threads.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
United canceled a bunch of flights out of SFO

So apparently United canceled a bunch of flights out of SFO, and told people to go to the UC for rebooking.

So there are about 75 people standing in line outside the international UC.

BR is closed.
SQ is in "NZ contract mode" so you have to be flying NZ to get in.

So I'm at the gate area, using dirty terminal bathrooms, etc.

Do they know who I am?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So apparently United canceled a bunch of flights out of SFO, and told people to go to the UC for rebooking.

So there are about 75 people standing in line outside the international UC.

BR is closed.
SQ is in "NZ contract mode" so you have to be flying NZ to get in.

So I'm at the gate area, using dirty terminal bathrooms, etc.

Do they know who I am?
Did you try letting them know who you are? A specially made hat and or t shirt would work great in this situation...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by montezume
Did you try letting them know who you are? A specially made hat and or t shirt would work great in this situation...
That only works with AC.

I'm in a UA hub.

AC knows who I am here.

At check-in the agent said "I recognize your face and name."

At the gate, an agent said "Can I help you?"

Then the concierge looked up, and we had the discussion I wanted to have. She knows who I am.

Ah and with such a simple act, a wonderful concierge is able to make me forget about not being able to use a lounge (not that that was even remotely AC's fault).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2016 at 7:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Posts relocated to the United forum for further discussion.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do they know who I am?
They probably think you are a nice Canadian thus the treatment What flights are cancelled? Why?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I saw a guy the other day traveling with an old CO "Silver Elite" card hanging around his neck for all to see.

I'm sure he got primo treatment........lol
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:07 am

Random passenger just denied pre-boarding here at SFO trying to pre-board with GS after showing a GS card. GA called him out to say reservation would automatically list GS status and it would go on boarding pass, and said, "sir, the name on that card doesn't even match your ticket"

Kudos to the GS who probably sold their card to this poor lad and made a profit
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:15 am

Sure this has been discussed before but reminds me of those who are upset about being denied of pre board with GS, yelling "but I have a Global Entry!" I've seen this more than once...
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by radiowell
Sure this has been discussed before but reminds me of those who are upset about being denied of pre board with GS, yelling "but I have a Global Entry!" I've seen this more than once...
Ah you may be right. Could have been a GE card perhaps as I didn't get a good luck at the card. Do the GS cards have a name on them? I assumed they would
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by dank0014
Ah you may be right. Could have been a GE card perhaps as I didn't get a good luck at the card. Do the GS cards have a name on them? I assumed they would
Yes..they're just any other level MP card with the name and account number.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by radiowell
Just happened the other day.

A woman got in front of me saying she was global services, the gate agent explained she was global entry only and in group 3 but let her board anyway.

So instead of enforcing the boarding she just enabled her and I'm sure the woman will continue her pre board attempts
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:18 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
Just happened the other day.

A woman got in front of me saying she was global services, the gate agent explained she was global entry only and in group 3 but let her board anyway.

So instead of enforcing the boarding she just enabled her and I'm sure the woman will continue her pre board attempts
United should do something about this. They have a service mark for GS, so if this many people are really getting confused, I think they could go after CBP to either change the name of Global Entry or even just send out an email to members telling them they don't have GS on UA. But then again, I'm not an attorney.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dank0014
Random passenger just denied pre-boarding here at SFO trying to pre-board with GS after showing a GS card. GA called him out to say reservation would automatically list GS status and it would go on boarding pass, and said, "sir, the name on that card doesn't even match your ticket"

Kudos to the GS who probably sold their card to this poor lad and made a profit
Plus the GA wondered why she was in 32B
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by United747
United should do something about this. They have a service mark for GS, so if this many people are really getting confused, I think they could go after CBP to either change the name of Global Entry or even just send out an email to members telling them they don't have GS on UA. But then again, I'm not an attorney.
United telling the U.S. government to change the name of the Global Entry program because it confuses some Global Services elites would certainly qualify as a corporate DYKWIA move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.