Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I've experienced the nuisance from both sides -- GS and 1K -- and it really needs to be fixed. Either have them board together or create a separate line.

@MBS MillionMiler

I've been stuck a few times in the same situation as your GS guy. GA agents often call disabled, military and GS all together, and then quickly call group 1. I deferentially wait for the disabled and military. But that means that many times I'm caught behind the swarm of G1.

Again, all this could be solved with a separate chute for GS, disabled, and military.
There are already enough space issues with five boarding lanes. I don't have firsthand experience, but in these scenarios I usually see GS either cutting through the shortest lane (usually 3-5) or ducking around some edge, like near the podium. It is a no-win situation, though; they're always gonna look DYKWIA.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Traveling with a bag that fits under my seat saves all the stress when flying. I really don't need to board early. Don't have to face any DYNWIA's.

Btw... Does the fact that so many of us on FT have our status showing for all to see, as well as our post count, make us all DYNWIA's?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
Traveling with a bag that fits under my seat saves all the stress when flying. I really don't need to board early. Don't have to face any DYNWIA's.

Btw... Does the fact that so many of us on FT have our status showing for all to see, as well as our post count, make us all DYNWIA's?
Haha!

I actually think its helpful when people include their status. Often times an answer to someone's question depends on their status. How often do you see the first page of a thread filled with answers based on speculation because the OP needs to provide more info?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
While I agree he had a DYKWIA attiude, I'm not too clear what is the "proper etiquette" in this situation. I'm 1K but there may well be Plat infront of me because they don't call status level, just Group so I line up.

However for GS, they specially call them out first and let them cut infront of everyone in Group 1. It isnt clear to me if this means they are still permitted to cut infront of everyone once they are half way through Group 1.
If they call GS but not G1 then I see nothing wrong with a GS "swimming" his way past the people lined up. But if G1 has been called then GS waits his turn.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
If they call GS but not G1 then I see nothing wrong with a GS "swimming" his way past the people lined up. But if G1 has been called then GS waits his turn.
If this is in fact true, then UA managed to botch even the simplest way to reward HVF. On other airlines, F and top tier elites not only get the board first, but they get to board whenever they want and skip to the front. Pretty fail
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
If this is in fact true, then UA managed to botch even the simplest way to reward HVF. On other airlines, F and top tier elites not only get the board first, but they get to board whenever they want and skip to the front. Pretty fail
Tchiowa probably meant "waits his turn with G1". So, if a GS misses the pre-boarding call, he/she can board with G1 (1Ks, Plats, people in F). If a GS arrives after G1 is done, it's super easy for them to board through the G1 lane and skip ahead of the other groups (and generally not considered DYKWIA to do so).

I guess the GS could also cut into the G1 line if it's already started boarding, but, I think that's just a bit DYWKIA (not much, maybe a 2.5 on a scale of 1 to 10). Maybe if it's JFK p.s. with 80 people in G1 and the GS just missed pre-board then I don't have an issue with it, as long as he/she is polite with the G1 folks.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I can understand, but don't agree with, a GS trying to swim up the G1 line as it boards- especially if it is insanely long and the GA does there usual "Global Services...." pause two seconds and then calls G1.

Once on the jet way, forgetaboutit. No swimming, or else you might get bit. Same for the bags overhead.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
How there are GSs who stand in line and act surprised when GS is called, and then swim through the crowd, is completely beyond me. Whenever I see it, I just want to pull them aside and say: "Don't you do this often? How are you so bad at it?"

If you're already standing in a line, just board with the darn line. If you want to pre-board, then learn from your fellow GSs and stand to the side. If the wheelchair people and the military folks can figure it out, so can you, Mr. Bigshot.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
How there are GSs who stand in line and act surprised when GS is called, and then swim through the crowd, is completely beyond me. Whenever I see it, I just want to pull them aside and say: "Don't you do this often? How are you so bad at it?"

If you're already standing in a line, just board with the darn line. If you want to pre-board, then learn from your fellow GSs and stand to the side. If the wheelchair people and the military folks can figure it out, so can you, Mr. Bigshot.
Seriously.
I can't believe how many amateur-hour Global Services members I see.
If it's Jan/Feb, maybe it's their first time, but in July?
Don't you fly a lot? Is this seriously your first rodeo?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Kingston
Seriously.
I can't believe how many amateur-hour Global Services members I see.
If it's Jan/Feb, maybe it's their first time, but in July?
Don't you fly a lot? Is this seriously your first rodeo?
But not all GS get there by coming up through the ranks or even flying all that much. Nobody's ever even tried to guess the numbers, but it seems pretty well established on FT that large companies that throw a lot of high-value business United's way get some high-level elite perks for some of their people. Not everyone rises to a high level in a company by oozing civility.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
But not all GS get there by coming up through the ranks or even flying all that much. Nobody's ever even tried to guess the numbers, but it seems pretty well established on FT that large companies that throw a lot of high-value business United's way get some high-level elite perks for some of their people. Not everyone rises to a high level in a company by oozing civility.
I know a few people that fly as much as I do, but they still behave cluelessly every time. Blocking isle, going back to overhead bin a bunch of times during boarding, putting the bag in sideways,.....
I am embarrassed to fly with them.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I can understand, but don't agree with, a GS trying to swim up the G1 line as it boards- especially if it is insanely long and the GA does there usual "Global Services...." pause two seconds and then calls G1.

Once on the jet way, forgetaboutit. No swimming, or else you might get bit. Same for the bags overhead.
If they've already called a group after yours, whether you're GS, G1, G2, etc., you can slide your way up to the front to have your BP scanned ahead of the line. Agree, once in the jetway join the end of the queue.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I know a few people that fly as much as I do, but they still behave cluelessly every time. Blocking isle, going back to overhead bin a bunch of times during boarding, putting the bag in sideways,.....
KWS

(Kettles With Status)

*tm - Cargojon 2015
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Back in the old days, when I was the unofficial lowly 2P cat herder, things were different. We had a good thing going for a while. I spent a very small amount of time as a 1P and then found my place among the Plats. Us Plats are an odd bunch; we're normally pretty invisible, but once in a while I come across one of our group that's a bit over-entitled and doesn't understand that domestic upgrades are a game with the winner being the person who gets highest on the list without actually being upgraded. The winner nearly always comes from our group (unless it's hub-to-hub in which case I have to calm people down, explain that the upgrade process isn't broken, that yes there really are that many people who fly more than you do).

It did take a while to get Plats to realize the proper introduction is "I'm just a Plat on United so I don't see too many upgrades" instead of "I fly so much I'm a plat and I never get the upgrades I deserve!" I still come across some of the latter, and you might get some DYKWIA attitude from them. I do what I can. But for the most part, it's a good group. It's not like we have disdain for those below; 1P isn't much of a fall.

But the bull in the candyshop GS, that's got to be a tough one to talk to. I don't envy you trying to tame that beast. First thing that comes to mind, seeing a GS stuff a bag sideways, might be "No, no, no, you don't understand how radio works!" An inside joke that might throw them off long enough to fix what they broke.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:17 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Here's what I do:

If at gate before boarding starts, I will look for an "area" where I can have access to the agent first. Group 5 works, or somewhere where there is an opening. When called, I make my way up.

If I get to the gate after Group 1 has been called, I wait in line in Group 1 to board. I never push my way up one when Group 1 is still boarding.

If I get to the gate and Group 1 has already boarded and they are boarding another Group, I will go in the Group 1 lane and show my boarding pass.

Once in the jetway, I would never push ahead of anyone.

On international, I am usually one of the last to board. I will stay in the GFL (if available) or lounge until close to the door closing. Never had an issue with storing my bags in F or C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.