Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, wetheryet, you are definitely in the minority in this discussion. So I will leave it at that. You are entitled to your opinion, and it is just that, an opinion. Just like mine and everyones who wasn't there.

And calling my example of when I would say something weak or fallacious, i.e. strawman, is again, your opinion. I was just giving one example of when I did say something.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL
Mr. GS bolts up to the front of the cabin to a different FA and loudly explains how he is a GS member, flies 300k miles a year, spends $100K, and that he has been on the plane for 6 minutes without a glass of champagne.
If those 300k are on UA, he should already have known that this was a bad, bad, bad idea.

I go up to them and explain what I have seen and apologize on behalf of all GS for his behavior.
I don't see anything wrong with what you did. However, if it were my non-GS self, I would not have dared to approach the flight crew under such circumstances. Not on UA.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by wethereyet
My point is this. So often in these cases the crew could easily get things resolved, no booting of pax, no calling the GS line, etc.
Agreed. Some FAs do get a bit unreasonable at times. I'm of the opinion that this is not one of them.

When you have OP getting up and becoming part of the action (who cares if he was calling the GS line or calling his grandmother) it just serves to make the crew even more ready to engage rather than defuse.

OP should never have been told by crew what they were doing or considering with pax. In fact they should get repriminded for it.
Then it is the crew, not the OP, that should be the focus of your complaint? The OP took the phone call as escalating hostility from the passenger even after he received his champagne, which at that point, he didn't deserve. I do agree though, the OP doesn't need to be privy to the conversation regarding the passenger's fate.

I tend to walk in other people's shoes and can often see cases where a FA could easily solve the pest pax issue but instead it becomes a test of wills.
The crew tried to solve it several times, including a) having ISM provide an apology and even talk to the GS line and b) providing him with his champagne. After that, if he remains hostile, his anger could be perceived as a liability IMO. I've seen people tossed for less.

We're at odds here. I respect your opinion but I'm actually trying to walk in the OP's shoes myself. In that situation, I probably would've done the same thing.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:40 pm

I think that the correct and noble thing to do when a guy like the OP mentioned is probably going to make up a story, down the road, over something trivial, and using his horsepower, make an unsubstantiated complaint to the company, to provide your name, as a witness, to the employee involved.

Otherwise, I think that getting in the middle of something and apologizing for an idiot is not something that anyone should do, even if they also have high status.

I say, give your name to the FA or pilot, for future follow-ups, sit back and relax, myob, and enjoy your flight. Way too many FTer's policing this airline, and for what???
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LilAbner
I think that the correct and noble thing to do when a guy like the OP mentioned is probably going to make up a story, down the road, over something trivial, and using his horsepower, make an unsubstantiated complaint to the company, to provide your name, as a witness, to the employee involved.

Otherwise, I think that getting in the middle of something and apologizing for an idiot is not something that anyone should do, even if they also have high status.
+1
The idea of apologizing "on behalf of all other GS" is just weird. DYKWIA?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Save the snark.

I have things exactly in order. I gave the snippy FA and an example and you are improperly applying the context.

Your bag on floor example is a strawman argument = fail. Unrelated to the issue of crew/pax interaction. Try again.

The comparison of the bag on the floor vs a pax/crew interaction is the exact definition of a strawman argument.

My point is this. So often in these cases the crew could easily get things resolved, no booting of pax, no calling the GS line, etc.

When you have OP getting up and becoming part of the action (who cares if he was calling the GS line or calling his grandmother) it just serves to make the crew even more ready to engage rather than defuse.

OP should never have been told by crew what they were doing or considering with pax. In fact they should get repriminded for it.

I tend to walk in other people's shoes and can often see cases where a FA could easily solve the pest pax issue but instead it becomes a test of wills.
I tend to agree more with you on this. If something really egregious took place, sure, report what you saw. But tossing in red herring words like suspicious, for effect serves o purpose. Even if he was purposefully antagonizing the crew by pretending to make a disparaging phone call-- who really cares???? Childish- sure, but to enough to warrant bystander intervention certainly.
The antidote upthread about the crew treating the poster like a hero- appears to be what some are after- and thusly search out these scenarios.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by LilAbner
I say, give your name to the FA or pilot, for future follow-ups, sit back and relax, myob, and enjoy your flight. Way too many FTer's policing this airline, and for what???
I see the FAs talking to the Captain and looking over at Mr. GS clearly discussing what to do with him. I go up to them and explain what I have seen and apologize on behalf of all GS for his behavior. They are all shocked and have never seen anything like this. Captain called HQ and asked if it was ok to kick Mr. GS off the plane, but HQ told him since he is a GS "only if he is a true risk to the safety of other pax and crew" can he be kicked off. Captain took down my name and info and told me that I may receive a call in the next few days to discuss what I saw for their investigation.
Aside from apologising for other GS which I guess others are concerned about, isn't that what he did? I didn't read anything else from the flight about confronting the passenger in any way. In fact, OP even responded to those follow ups.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Not sure who pulled the DYKWIA...me or her...

...so I'm boarding a flight from ORD- MCO last week with my two boys...one 7 and one 9. We're flying on points out of my wife's Global Services account so we are considered Global for purposes of this flight. Since I (like virtually everyone else here) hates gate lice, I refuse to stand in line for zone 1 like so many do. When they call Uniformed Military and GS, my sons and I politely excuse our way to the front of the line with no incident...until we get to the very front when this women puts her hand out and stops me...and says "excuse me, but I'm in first class and we have priority boarding!"
To which I reply..."I'm well aware of that, this isn't my first flight...show her my ticket that has GLOBAL SERVICES printed in bold on it and gently push her hand down and (purposely) stand with my back to her shepherding my two boys past her. We board and the Gate agent gives me a knowing smirk.

So I'm not sure if it was me or her that was the guilty party...or perhaps both, but it was pretty amusing to me.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bsdstone
...so I'm boarding a flight from ORD- MCO last week with my two boys...one 7 and one 9. We're flying on points out of my wife's Global Services account so we are considered Global for purposes of this flight. Since I (like virtually everyone else here) hates gate lice, I refuse to stand in line for zone 1 like so many do. When they call Uniformed Military and GS, my sons and I politely excuse our way to the front of the line with no incident...until we get to the very front when this women puts her hand out and stops me...and says "excuse me, but I'm in first class and we have priority boarding!"
To which I reply..."I'm well aware of that, this isn't my first flight...show her my ticket that has GLOBAL SERVICES printed in bold on it and gently push her hand down and (purposely) stand with my back to her shepherding my two boys past her. We board and the Gate agent gives me a knowing smirk.

So I'm not sure if it was me or her that was the guilty party...or perhaps both, but it was pretty amusing to me.
^

Good for you.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
^

Good for you.
+1
And even when I join line 1, I always make sure to stay to one side to allow GS to pass through.

UA caused the problem though by creating these boarding lines without allowing space at many gates for GS to bypass them.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...when this women puts her hand out and stops me...and says "excuse me, but I'm in first class and we have priority boarding!"...
Silver with her first upgrade. She was probably standing in Group 1 line for 30 minutes.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 24, 2014 at 4:17 pm Reason: Fix quote
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Silver with her first upgrade. She was probably standing in Group 1 line for 30 minutes.
hahaha...you're probably right! Something about the purple streak of hair she had tells me you are correct!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver
hahaha...you're probably right! Something about the purple streak of hair she had tells me you are correct!
Not ok.

While I don't have this currently, do you know how annoying it is to be pushed out of the way by a bunch of men who look like my dad because they just assume I'm standing in the wrong line? I didn't realize that wrinkled khakis and middle age were the dress code for Group 1.

Funny how such a post would end up in this very thread.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
More likely someone who jumped on an ultra-cheap P or Z fare and isn't even that familiar with UA. I've noticed these inexperienced passengers are more common in UA F these days and you can just see the building face of disappointment after no champagne, a crap meal, and indifferent FAs. I am guessing that for many its the first and last time they buy a first class fare (on UA at least).
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by horse glasses
Not ok.

While I don't have this currently, do you know how annoying it is to be pushed out of the way by a bunch of men who look like my dad because they just assume I'm standing in the wrong line? I didn't realize that wrinkled khakis and middle age were the dress code for Group 1.

Funny how such a post would end up in this very thread.
Couple of quick ?'s...where did anyone say that I pushed someone out of the way? And who are the "bunch of men" you are referring to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.