Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by kenn0223
More likely someone who jumped on an ultra-cheap P or Z fare and isn't even that familiar with UA. I've noticed these inexperienced passengers are more common in UA F these days and you can just see the building face of disappointment after no champagne, a crap meal, and indifferent FAs. I am guessing that for many its the first and last time they buy a first class fare (on UA at least).
Amen to the bolded statements above!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
^

Good for you.
+1. Awesome.

It's like the scene in the "Right Stuff" when Scott Glenn says "step aside pal"
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Couple of quick ?'s...where did anyone say that I pushed someone out of the way? And who are the "bunch of men" you are referring to?
Don't be obtuse. It was pretty clear you were deciding that women didn't belong there or was what is commonly referred to as a "lowly silver" based on her hairstyle. As someone who has had a similar hairstyle and doesn't generally look like they "belong" in Group 1 or in first, don't think your attitude goes unnoticed. That doesn't forgive her behavior, but please don't play dumb. I think we all know what your average Group 1 flyer looks like.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by horse glasses
Don't be obtuse. It was pretty clear you were deciding that women didn't belong there or was what is commonly referred to as a "lowly silver" based on her hairstyle. As someone who has had a similar hairstyle and doesn't generally look like they "belong" in Group 1 or in first, don't think your attitude goes unnoticed. That doesn't forgive her behavior, but please don't play dumb. I think we all know what your average Group 1 flyer looks like.
Oh good lord please. Take the post for what it is...f'Ing funny. I have seen these people before in line saying "excuse me this is 1st class line" BS before. I would have zero tolerance and would have directed her to the zone 18 lane titled "kettles"
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Don't be obtuse. It was pretty clear you were deciding that women didn't belong there or was what is commonly referred to as a "lowly silver" based on her hairstyle.As someone who has had a similar hairstyle and doesn't generally look like they "belong" in Group 1 or in first, don't think your attitude goes unnoticed. That doesn't forgive her behavior, but please don't play dumb. I think we all know what your average Group 1 flyer looks like.
Actually, if you read back, you'll see I didn't mention it in my original post...mostly b/c it wasn't her LOOKS that made it obvious she wasn't the average Group 1 flyer...it was her ACTIONS that made it obvious. IME, the average Group 1 flyer has heard the uniformed military and GS call enough to know why someone would be excusing themselves to the front of the line...obviously YMMV. Sorry if you are sensitive to the purple hair streak joke...I didn't mean to offend you or others that prefer that hairstyle.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Not ok.

While I don't have this currently, do you know how annoying it is to be pushed out of the way by a bunch of men who look like my dad because they just assume I'm standing in the wrong line? I didn't realize that wrinkled khakis and middle age were the dress code for Group 1.

Funny how such a post would end up in this very thread.
???

GA called for GS customers to board. GS customers attempted to board. Lady in Group 1 (who was not asked to board yet) decided to pay hall monitor because she thought someone was boarding before her royal self. The OP had every right to board and was proceeding to do so until Ms. Purple Hair interrupted the process. The DYKWIA in this case was definitely Miss "I have a First Class ticket and nobody boards before me".

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 24, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Actually, if you read back, you'll see I didn't mention it in my original post...mostly b/c it wasn't her LOOKS that made it obvious she wasn't the average Group 1 flyer...it was her ACTIONS that made it obvious. IME, the average Group 1 flyer has heard the uniformed military and GS call enough to know why someone would be excusing themselves to the front of the line...obviously YMMV. Sorry if you are sensitive to the purple hair streak joke...I didn't mean to offend you or others that prefer that hairstyle.
You should never have said it at all. My vote is in...you are the DYKWIA.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
...The DYKWIA in this case was definitely miss "I have a First Class ticket and nobody boards before me".
Look...the woman was clearly not a frequent UA FC passenger. Perhaps she was used to AA, where FC boards first (a system that I definitely prefer). Commenting on/making fun of her hair is out of line.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:47 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
It is obvious that the woman was unaware that GS had been called for boarding and/or that GS had priority over her First Class ticket boarding priority. This indicates, although is not complete proof, that she had not flown much in First on UA. Her putting up her hand to attempt to stop GS from boarding is further proof that for whatever reason, she felt entitled to stop him and not let the GA do their job.

That being said, I agree that women can be in boarding group one. However, women who flew a lot on UA would know that a path needed to be cleared for GS.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver
It was a really unnecessary thing to say about someone's appearance. This is not an issue with me. I hoped that by relating my own experience, as someone who also posts on this board, you would understand that. I think that may have gone over some heads.

???

GA called for GS customers to board. GS customers attempted to board. Lady in Group 1 (who was not asked to board yet) decided to pay hall monitor because she thought someone was boarding before her royal self. The OP had every right to board and was proceeding to do so until Ms. Purple Hair interrupted the process. The DYKWIA in this case was definitely miss "I have a First Class ticket and nobody boards before me".
You're totally missing the point here. Your need to refer to this woman as "Ms. Purple Hair" is the problem. I agree with you about her behavior.

When you start referring to men who behave in this way as "Mr. Khaki Pants" or "Mr. Briefcase", then fine. Oh wait - you can't. Because that's pretty much all of them.

You're making an implication that she doesn't belong there because of her unprofessional appearance. It's a feeling I get every time I board. Whether it's intentional or not, it's there.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 24, 2014 at 4:16 pm Reason: Merge
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You're totally missing the point here. Your need to refer to this woman as "Ms. Purple Hair" is the problem. I agree with you about her behavior.

When you start referring to men who behave in this way as "Mr. Khaki Pants" or "Mr. Briefcase", then fine. Oh wait - you can't. Because that's pretty much all of them.

You're making an implication that she doesn't belong there because of her unprofessional appearance. It's a feeling I get every time I board. Whether it's intentional or not, it's there.
I've referred to someone as "Mr. Black Socks and Sandals With Feet Halfway Up The Bulkhead" in another thread. Where do I say something about her not belonging there? Or him? It's behavior, not appearance that is the problem in both cases. I don't know Ms. Purple Hair's or Mr. Sandal's names or I'd use them. You're overly sensitive and reading more into what I am saying than there is. I won't say Ms. Purple Hair anymore. Sorry.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 24, 2014 at 1:05 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"I'm well aware of that, this isn't my first flight...show her my ticket that has GLOBAL SERVICES printed in bold on it and gently push her hand down and (purposely) stand with my back to her shepherding my two boys past her. We board and the Gate agent gives me a knowing smirk.
I call DYKWMWI ("Don't you know who my wife is?")

btw, any time you touch someone without their consent, particularly in this type of setting, you are risking a battery charge.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:20 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)

I enjoy dressing casually as a 1K on my flights when I can. I change into business attire when I need to. One would not know anything about me or the millions of miles logged over many years just by looking at my clothing.

Also, just because someone wears business attire for the flight and sits in First tells nothing either. Someone's behavior in line can indicate lack of experience flying UA.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've referred to someone as "Mr. Black Socks and Sandals With Feet Halfway Up The Bulkhead" in another thread. Where do I say something about her not belonging there? Or him? It's behavior, not appearance that is the problem in both cases. I don't know Ms. Purple Hair's or Mr. Sandal's names or I'd use them. You're overly sensitive and reading more into what I am saying than there is. I won't say Ms. Purple Hair anymore. Sorry.
+1^
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Kacee;23089069]I call DYKWMWI ("Don't you know who my wife is?"){/quote}
Even better! haha! ^

Originally Posted by Kacee
btw, any time you touch someone without their consent, particularly in this type of setting, you are risking a battery charge.
Good point...I should have alerted the authorities...I had plenty of witnesses! Dern...lawsuit opportunity missed!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a really unnecessary thing to say about someone's appearance. This is not an issue with me. I hoped that by relating my own experience, as someone who also posts on this board, you would understand that. I think that may have gone over some heads.
Yeah I got it...it's kind of the judge not lest you be judged type of thing, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.