Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global and Regional Premier Upgrades will be valid longer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global and Regional Premier Upgrades will be valid longer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
For many, the GPU extension is simply a restoration of benefits to what once was.

The RPU extension, however, is a noted improvement -- spectacular, game-changer, change we'll like, or whatever Jeff's buzzword of the day is.

Thank you!!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by remedy
Me too. I was frustrated that 2 redeposited GPUs for flights on which I was NOT upgraded we're expiring at the end of this year. Can I change my itinerary from a surcharge and mile to using GPUs?
Since you said the GPU's were going to expire the end of this year? If they were earned last year then this new change may not be applicable to you.

BTW, thanks for the good news, UAInsider!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by channa
For many, the GPU extension is simply a restoration of benefits to what once was.
Not really. Under the old United, you only get the GPUs on Jan.1 no matter when you earned them. If you took early deposit, the GPUs expires 1 year after issue. This is a big improvement.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
This is much appreciated but is anyone surprised? People have a ton of these things sitting around that they couldnt use. I do appreciate it though as I was wondering if the "new UA" would actually come through so I have to give them credit for doing so.

edited to add, the extension of the GPU's is really what I am talking about as the new rules are definitely a big improvement.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: United, Hilton Honors
Great news.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Finally a good news...^
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Excellent!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wilp888
THANK YOU, Shannon. This just makes so much sense!
^^
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
That's awesome for the 1K folk. ^

Here's hoping for some changes I like directed toward us Plats!
You get RPUs, too. :-:
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Bottom Line is it matches the expiration date of your Status which makes it easier for all parties to recall the dates. Makes sense to have it all match for all fliers and our new status each year.

Too late for me tho, I burnt them all this year as fast as I could on all domestic travel with the plan and intent to leave to another carrier in 2013.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by channa
No way, this is way better. Now we get GPUs worth at least 12 months -- possibly more depending on how early you earn the min the year. And that's all of them, not just the 2 or 4 early deposit ones you had to beg MPSC for back in the day.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Thanks. Great news.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Awesome, thanks! ^
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
A Change I'd Like (as a Plat)

Originally Posted by sbm12
You get RPUs, too. :-:
Yeah I know. 2 of them. With only 2 RPUs, it's rarely going to be an issue finding a way to use them before expiration.

In the grand scheme of things, the "scaling" from Plat to 1K isn't terribly even-

100k 1K- approx 4-8 RPUs (depending on flying patterns), 6 GPUs
75k Plat- 2 RPUs, 0 GPUs

I would think it reasonable for a Plat to earn RPUs at the same rate as a 1K. You'd still have a substantial benefit increase for the 1K with those 6 GPUs!

So "A Change I'd Like" (for Plats) would be RPU equivalence with 1K. Not saying we're worthy, not saying we'll all leave without it. Just saying we'd like to see it happen.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
As someone eying a switch to UA but hesitating due to the merger, this is good news. The likelihood of me being on your planes next year just went up ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.