Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global and Regional Premier Upgrades will be valid longer

Global and Regional Premier Upgrades will be valid longer

Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:13 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: RDU
Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Posts: 1,699
I'm sitting on 98.5K since mid-October and have moved all my optional travel to Dec thanks to the old policy. Non-optional travel went to DL.

I don't think I'm alone. UA was losing money on the old (since 3/3) policy.
dulcamara is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:39 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Posts: 6,355
Originally Posted by dulcamara
I'm sitting on 98.5K since mid-October and have moved all my optional travel to Dec thanks to the old policy. Non-optional travel went to DL.

I don't think I'm alone. UA was losing money on the old (since 3/3) policy.
No question they were, and now they will get you and others back for a significant increase IMO of additional bookings.
schley is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:03 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Posts: 2,530
Great news!
mh3265a is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:54 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: IAH
Programs: UA-1k, AA-EP, HH-D, Marriott-G,HPass-PL, Avis-Pres, Hertz-Pres
Posts: 95
Finally a change you will like!

Finally a change you will like! ^+1
woofly is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:55 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,645
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that over the course of the next couple weeks, we’ll be making a change that will give those of you who earn Global Premier Upgrades (GPU) and Regional Premier Upgrades (RPU) more time to use them. Specifically:
  • Newly-earned GPUs and RPUs will be valid longer. Starting later this month, when newly earned GPUs and RPUs are deposited into your account, they will be valid through the end of the following Premier program year instead of just one year from the date of issue. So, for example, all GPUs and RPUs earned in 2012 will be valid through January 31, 2014; those earned in 2013 will be valid through January 31, 2015 and so on.

  • Unused GPUs and RPUs earned in 2012 will also be extended. For those of you who currently have GPUs or RPUs in your account that were earned based on 2012 travel, these will also automatically be extended and will be valid through the end of the next Premier program year (January 31, 2014). This includes GPUs and RPUs that are waitlisted or redeposited. Upon redeposit, the extended validity date will be reflected.
These validity changes will take effect by the end of this month, and in the meantime, no action will be required on your part.

We know GPUs and RPUs are an important benefit and we hope this change will provide more flexibility in using your GPUs and RPUs. As always, thanks for the feedback and please let us know what questions you may have.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
I read this 5 times to find the bad news hidden inside it, and there seems to be none?

This is unbelievable. Did someone from the old UA push out the CO cowboys?

For once, you're treating us like we are valuable, not like we are enemy combatants.

I was so discouraged by my inability to use GPUs that I'd made a decision simply to give up on 1K. Now, I'm going to take a hard look at this and reconsider.
FlyWorld is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:04 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Posts: 497
Global and Regional Premier Upgrades will be valid longer

Fantastic news, thanks! ^
glasnost7 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:08 am
  #67  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: body: A stone's throw from SFO, mind: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 17,263
Originally Posted by schley
No question they were, and now they will get you and others back for a significant increase IMO of additional bookings.
Possibly. Like mitchmu indicates just above, there's still a very pessimistic bent most of us pmUA flyers have for the freshpoo-crew. This is a start but one move doesn't take away negative expectations.

I'm pleased there is a start though. Where it goes from here will dictate how much revenue is drawn back.

There apparently are financial wounds being licked at the moment. More salve will help.

Last edited by dsquared37; Nov 9, 2012 at 8:53 am Reason: correcting wording conveying a very different meaning
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:15 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Posts: 589
This is a great change of tack by UA, at last a change that I actually do like.
If now UA has decided they do in fact want to keep their remaining FF's perhaps the next, no cost change, should be reverting to the old boarding priority instead of the current mess?
rosesplus is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:18 am
  #69  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 21,177
Originally Posted by rosesplus
If now UA has decided they do in fact want to keep their remaining FF's perhaps the next, no cost change, should be reverting to the old boarding priority instead of the current mess?
Hey now, let's not get over-entitled
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:19 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: West Coast USA
Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Posts: 7,553
Removing GPUs from upgraded domestic travel?

So what does happen? Know of course downgrade but does the same fare aka S fare still need to be available? Get back up on upgrade list? Is that automatic? Any and all info appreciated. Thanks.
RTWSTARALLIANCE is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:24 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,645
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Sounds like only the GPUs that were earned this year in 2012 will be extended. I have three SWUs/GPUs earned from last year that will, I believe, not be extended beyond 12/31/12.
To clarify further, it sounds like a GPU is extended if it was earned based on 2012 travel. So, the GPUs that we currently have now, that were earned based on miles flown in 2011, do not qualify for this extension.

In fact, when I read the message the 8th time, I realize both bullets saying the same thing.

So, the only people who will get an extension are those who earned a new GPU in 2012 based on flying MORE THAN 100,000 miles in 2012. Anyone who got a GPU in 2012 based on flying done in 2011 will not get an extension.

Overall, the policy is an improvement from the abominable hostility that was deployed by the CO team, but not quite as great as I'd hoped upon first reading (i.e. a generous extension of GPUs that we're currently sitting with and unable to burn).
FlyWorld is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:25 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: West Coast USA
Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Posts: 7,553
Great announcement. Now execute. Asap please.

We all agree this is great news. But in my mind there are questions. UA had soooo much time to think about doing the right thing (and a little more, thank you) that they should have been prepared and would have garnered more respect if they updated our accounts a couple days following this announcement. I still don't see it clearly what will happen with our 4 remaining November 2012 expire RPUs and 2 remaining December 2012 expire GPUs "later this month". If someone knows definitive I would like to know. My GPU "waste" count was additional 4. I was hoping for this but could just could not keep delaying use for UA and booked HNL and BOS for December.

Originally Posted by mitchmu
To clarify further, it sounds like a GPU is extended if it was earned based on 2012 travel. So, the GPUs that we currently have now, that were earned based on miles flown in 2011, do not qualify for this extension.

In fact, when I read the message the 8th time, I realize both bullets saying the same thing.

So, the only people who will get an extension are those who earned a new GPU in 2012 based on flying MORE THAN 100,000 miles in 2012. Anyone who got a GPU in 2012 based on flying done in 2011 will not get an extension.

Overall, the policy is an improvement from the abominable hostility that was deployed by the CO team, but not quite as great as I'd hoped upon first reading (i.e. a generous extension of GPUs that we're currently sitting with and unable to burn).
That is the way I read it also. Earned for 2012 travel. Not earned FOR or EXPIRING in 2012. Hence pulling anything from domestic travel in our case is useless. My GS friend is going to be you know what. He read it once then went to have a drink.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 9, 2012 at 7:04 am Reason: merge
RTWSTARALLIANCE is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:30 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: ATL
Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 2,583
I am in complete disbelief. Noticed it on my account this morning. Too good to be true!
NeoOfTheCRS is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:37 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,645
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
We all agree this is great news. But in my mind there are questions. UA had soooo much time to think about doing the right thing (and a little more, thank you) that they should have been prepared and would have garnered more respect if they updated our accounts a couple days following this announcement. I still don't see it clearly what will happen with our 4 remaining November 2012 expire RPUs and 2 remaining December 2012 expire GPUs "later this month". If someone knows definitive I would like to know. My GPU "waste" count was additional 4. I was hoping for this but could just could not keep delaying use for UA and booked HNL and BOS for December.
If the 2 GPUs in your account that expire on 12/31 were earned based on miles you flew in 2011, then, my reading of Shannon's message says you don't get an extension.

I haven't paid any attention to the RPU angle on this.

As for why this took so long - I bet this is the story:

1. Sometime before 3/3, the texas cowboys flew into UA HQ from Houston and demanded that everyone at UA sit down, shut up, and do as they were told. Those who got behind the CO "war on elites" were allowed the keep their jobs. Those who spoke up were fired.

2. The CO team was confident they could wage this war, cut costs, and keep revenue, because they were certain that we were both stupid and captive and that we'd stay with UA no matter how horribly they acted towards us - because, in their view, as long as they had the "route network" and the 787, they had impunity to do whatever they wanted and we'd never leave.

3. Quarter after quarter after quarter of declining financials have shown that they are wrong and with each passing quarter, their ignorance and foolishness becomes clearer, and their power wanes. Meanwhile, pressure continues to build against them from investors, from the board, and from the sUA personnel who silently suffered through the humiliation forced upon them by the cowboys from Houston.

4. As the realization dawns on all involved that waging war on your customers results in declining profitability, they're scrambling to figure out what they can do to improve profitability and - shockingly - they've come up with the idea that maybe if they loosen the screws a little and remove some of the hostile anti-loyalty policies that they put in place, they can reduce the hemorrhaging. And, this is what we're seeing now.

So, that's why it's taken so long.

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
I am in complete disbelief. Noticed it on my account this morning. Too good to be true!
None of my expiration dates have changed.

To help us clarify - did you fly more than 100,000 miles this year? The extension you're seeing is for GPUs deposited this year after you crossed the 100,000 mile threshold?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 9, 2012 at 7:05 am Reason: merge
FlyWorld is offline  
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:43 am
  #75  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 10,253
My RPUs are already extended, so it looks like it will not take long.

I do welcome this news, but I am not gushing with enthusiasm that this signals a fundamental change in how elite benefits are viewed by the new UA.

This change is directly attributable to UA's faltering financial performance. Numerous posts on FT have advocated this change for a long time. I am honestly AMAZED that it took UA so long to act on this. Most business try to find a way to provide incentives for continued purchases...

And yes, I am sitting at 99k miles due to this very issue.

Now, when UA starts reinstating TRUE priority benefits for 1Ks (boarding process, check-in lines, screening, 1K phone desk, etc) instead of the current "priority overload / sham" then I will see us turning a corner....
goodeats21 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.