Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global and Regional Premier Upgrades will be valid longer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:12 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that over the course of the next couple weeks, we’ll be making a change that will give those of you who earn Global Premier Upgrades (GPU) and Regional Premier Upgrades (RPU) more time to use them. Specifically:
  • Newly-earned GPUs and RPUs will be valid longer. Starting later this month, when newly earned GPUs and RPUs are deposited into your account, they will be valid through the end of the following Premier program year instead of just one year from the date of issue. So, for example, all GPUs and RPUs earned in 2012 will be valid through January 31, 2014; those earned in 2013 will be valid through January 31, 2015 and so on.

• Unused GPUs and RPUs earned in 2012 will also be extended. For those of you who currently have GPUs or RPUs in your account that were earned based on 2012 travel, these will also automatically be extended and will be valid through the end of the next Premier program year (January 31, 2014). This includes GPUs and RPUs that are waitlisted or redeposited. Upon redeposit, the extended validity date will be reflected.
These validity changes will take effect by the end of this month, and in the meantime, no action will be required on your part.

We know GPUs and RPUs are an important benefit and we hope this change will provide more flexibility in using your GPUs and RPUs. As always, thanks for the feedback and please let us know what questions you may have.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
^^^^^
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
A change I like. thanks. ^
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you for keeping us in the loop. This is a great, customer friendly change.

Please, please, please forgive me for noticing how good this change is and reflexively cringing, waiting for the other shoe to drop, and wondering what else we have yet to hear about the 2013 MileagePlus program.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
That's awesome for the 1K folk. ^

Here's hoping for some changes I like directed toward us Plats!
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Thank you for keeping us in the loop. This is a great, customer friendly change.

Please, please, please forgive me for noticing how good this change is and reflexively cringing, waiting for the other shoe to drop, and wondering what else we have yet to hear about the 2013 MileagePlus program.
And I was worried that I was raining on the parade with my remark.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Nov 8, 2012 at 8:13 pm Reason: merge, clarity
Suspended

I must be lossing it I had no idea that today was April 1st,LoL

WOW, that about sums it up best, too bad they didnt announce this months ago as I wouldnt have had to book a late Dec trp to put me over 1K to get the most time for the GPUs. But at last I wont have that to worry about doing this going forward any longer

^^
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
thank you -- this is a great change ^^
thanks for listening
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
A change I like. thanks. ^
Me too. I was frustrated that 2 redeposited GPUs for flights on which I was NOT upgraded we're expiring at the end of this year. Can I change my itinerary from a surcharge and mile to using GPUs?

Last edited by remedy; Nov 8, 2012 at 7:20 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Great change!! It should be noted that this is going to become similar to the Alaska Airlines MVP Gold upgrades that would all collectively expire at the end of every December (and still do, although they are now electronic and not good on the cheapest fares anymore which dropped their value considerably). The result of this was that the upgrades were VERY valuable in January and February and by December, you could barely find people to give them away to...during the holidays at PDX one year, my wife actually walked up to a random person waiting for an Alaska flight and handed them an upgrade that would otherwise go unusued.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Yeah Shannon! You are starting to win me back!

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that over the course of the next couple weeks, we’ll be making a change that will give those of you who earn Global Premier Upgrades (GPU) and Regional Premier Upgrades (RPU) more time to use them. Specifically:
  • Newly-earned GPUs and RPUs will be valid longer. Starting later this month, when newly earned GPUs and RPUs are deposited into your account, they will be valid through the end of the following Premier program year instead of just one year from the date of issue. So, for example, all GPUs and RPUs earned in 2012 will be valid through January 31, 2014; those earned in 2013 will be valid through January 31, 2015 and so on.

• Unused GPUs and RPUs earned in 2012 will also be extended. For those of you who currently have GPUs or RPUs in your account that were earned based on 2012 travel, these will also automatically be extended and will be valid through the end of the next Premier program year (January 31, 2014). This includes GPUs and RPUs that are waitlisted or redeposited. Upon redeposit, the extended validity date will be reflected.
These validity changes will take effect by the end of this month, and in the meantime, no action will be required on your part.

We know GPUs and RPUs are an important benefit and we hope this change will provide more flexibility in using your GPUs and RPUs. As always, thanks for the feedback and please let us know what questions you may have.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by craz
I must be lossing it I had no idea that today was April 1st,LoL

WOW, that about sums it up best, too bad they didnt announce this months ago as I wouldnt have had to book a late Dec trp to put me over 1K to get the most time for the GPUs. But at last I wont have that to worry about doing this going forward any longer

^^
Same here. UA lost a lot of revenue to this dumb stubborn policy. Somebody is listening on Wacker Drive!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A great change!

Of course, the cynic in me also wonders how many "Premier flown miles" were diverted to other airlines this year due to the unfortunate decision to force the UGs on us as soon as we cross thresholds. At least they listened to feedback (and likely $$$) and made the change going forward ^
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:38 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
On Flyertalk, there are threads filled with people whom delayed qualifying for 1K and gave their business to other airlines. This change is truly welcome. Many thanks again for listening to us and allowing us to give our full loyalty to United!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Very nice

Excellent!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
THANK YOU, Shannon. This just makes so much sense!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.