Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global and Regional Premier Upgrades will be valid longer

Global and Regional Premier Upgrades will be valid longer

Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DBCme
So some of this is a new benefit for elites, or something previously taken away, forgotten about and brought back to look, smell and taste like a new benefit? ....
mixture of both

CR1/RPU have always expired 12 months have issued
Qualifying SWU/GPU used to be issued on Jan 1 and then expire at end of January next year. Then they switched to issued when earned and expire 12 months later.

So issued when earned and expiring Jan 1 - next year is both a new benefit and a restoring of an old benefit. ^
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Too little too late.
For the last 4 years I've avoided flying UA for the last several months of the year in order to keep my SWU/GPUs from posting before December. Unfortunately for UA (CO) their war on elites has taken its toll on me. I've got 50,000 miles already booked on AA in 2013 and 7,500 on UA. I expect that for the remainder of 2013 the ratio between the two will remain the same.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
Just to clarify: SWU's that are scheduled to expire on 12/31/12.... any extension?
Agree ... it would be good to get the 12/31/12 SWUs extended as well. Shannon, is this doable?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Question extend to 1/2013?

Any chance of extending GPU set to expire in 12/2012 to 1/2013? @:-)
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: Too many
Finally a change I like

^ to UA for this. Finally someone listened. UA lost revenue from me this year because I refused to hit 1K until Dec because of the previous policy.

Now let's hope they keep on this track and fix a few of the other not so smart changes.

#1 on that list for me is allowing a silver on a Y or B fare to be ahead of me on the upgrade list. Go back to upgrades by status and then fare basis please.

#2 Stop selling upgrades for less than the fare difference to non-elites.

#3 Make your SWU upgradable fares reasonable.

Anyway thanks for changing your expiration policy. ^
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Just checked my account and expiration dates already updated. Awesome!

We normally like to use them for NYE trip to Europe which was going to be impossible when they changed the expiration policy sine I'd never have any valid in January of any year.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by SF1K
Just checked my account and expiration dates already updated. Awesome!
Amazing. Yes, my GPUs and RPUs have been changed too!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Too little, too late

Well, this is nice for my 2 RPUs expiring end of Nov, but is no good for the 2 I lost end of Oct. What is truly frustrating is seeing the inconsistent experience when it came to UA granting extensions Of these instruments. Whilst I have read about others getting them on a single phone call, it was three times unlucky until I just resolved to continue flying AA domestically no matter how inconvenient, at least I wouldn't be loyal to an airline, UA, that has done almost everything it can to remind me loyalty to it is a one way street from your wallet to thir accounts.

Anyways, looks like I may still squeak in as a 1k and would appreciate UA focus on a few things:
  • No TODs unless you offer them to all
  • Have partner travel post consistently, if at all
  • Remember, as well as you might be doing now, things can always turn if you take customers for granted as you have been doing
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by mdspadeccom
I wanted to let you know that over the course of the next couple weeks, well be making a change that will give those of you who earn Global Premier Upgrades (GPU) and Regional Premier Upgrades (RPU) more time to use them. Specifically:
Newly-earned GPUs and RPUs will be valid longer. Starting later this month, when newly earned GPUs and RPUs are deposited into your account, they will be valid through the end of the following Premier program year instead of just one year from the date of issue. So, for example, all GPUs and RPUs earned in 2012 will be valid through January 31, 2014; those earned in 2013 will be valid through January 31, 2015 and so on.
Unused GPUs and RPUs earned in 2012 will also be extended. For those of you who currently have GPUs or RPUs in your account that were earned based on 2012 travel, these will also automatically be extended and will be valid through the end of the next Premier program year (January 31, 2014). This includes GPUs and RPUs that are waitlisted or redeposited. Upon redeposit, the extended validity date will be reflected.
These validity changes will take effect by the end of this month, and in the meantime, no action will be required on your part.

We know GPUs and RPUs are an important benefit and we hope this change will provide more flexibility in using your GPUs and RPUs. As always, thanks for the feedback and please let us know what questions you may have.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Great news Shannon, something that really shows some re-thinking at HQ. Any chance the fare restriction for GPU'S will cease and desist? The lottery system whereby I pay for an upgrade fare class and my UG fails to clear means I pay more for an economy seat than I should. Of course, using expert mode, and instantly clearing where R>0 became the new normal, but it would be a deal maker to win me back if I could get a refund for the fare differential when UG fail to clear or simply eliminate this redemption fare class threshold entirely.

I'm finding AA's lack of fare restrictions to be better in a lot of ways. I'm really hoping a few more things will happen, and I'm starting to think the global economy will force the hand anyways.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
On Flyertalk, there are threads filled with people whom delayed qualifying for 1K and gave their business to other airlines. This change is truly welcome. Many thanks again for listening to us and allowing us to give our full loyalty to United!
As one of those persons - I am celebrating by flying on UA again ! I no longer have to delay my 1k qualification.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Yeah I know. 2 of them. With only 2 RPUs, it's rarely going to be an issue finding a way to use them before expiration.

In the grand scheme of things, the "scaling" from Plat to 1K isn't terribly even-

100k 1K- approx 4-8 RPUs (depending on flying patterns), 6 GPUs
75k Plat- 2 RPUs, 0 GPUs

I would think it reasonable for a Plat to earn RPUs at the same rate as a 1K. You'd still have a substantial benefit increase for the 1K with those 6 GPUs!

So "A Change I'd Like" (for Plats) would be RPU equivalence with 1K. Not saying we're worthy, not saying we'll all leave without it. Just saying we'd like to see it happen.
1k at 100k will get only 2 RPUs - or am I missing something?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 9, 2012 at 4:24 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; myTouch_4G_Slide Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Thank you... this is a nice positive change. Wondered what to do given my GPU's were expiring in 6 months and been racking up miles on AA to try and get ExPlat SWU's.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
Good change!!!

What we need now is upgrade space so we can use the SWUs!!!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:19 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Just passed 100k yesterday and today got my GPU's posted expecting it to be 11/13 but they are 1/31/14 for all 6! Great unexpected perk now. Coincidentally I see UA insider is spreading the word. Same thing with the 4 RPUs I have deposited now.

Thanks UA for listening to us. ^

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Sounds like only the GPUs that were earned this year in 2012 will be extended. I have three SWUs/GPUs earned from last year that will, I believe, not be extended beyond 12/31/12.
Not extended farther. Actually UA amended this policy to allow all GPU's earned in 2011 to extend to 12/31/12 regardless of when earned in 2011. Technically they have already changed this to the end of 2012.

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I'll take anything positive. I really feel beat up by UA during the past year. Even with this it still hurts. I've wasted so many GPUs on domestic travel coming up waiting for UA to make sense. That this is coming at literally the 11th hour.
Why not withdraw your GPUs you used for domestic travel upcoming now? You are not taking advantage of this new change if you don't. Don't screw yourself just to get ticked off at UA after this announcement.

Originally Posted by 1k650
1k at 100k will get only 2 RPUs - or am I missing something?
2 at 75k and 2 at 100k, that is what you are missing.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 9, 2012 at 4:22 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Having been disgruntled with most of the UA moves in the last year plus I'm now gruntled.

Not only given back an old benefit but with additional considerations.

Yes, quite gruntled, thank you. ^
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Having been disgruntled with most of the UA moves in the last year plus I'm now gruntled.

Not only given back an old benefit but with additional considerations.

Yes, quite gruntled, thank you. ^
Yep, this change will help UA with it's top elites who were concerned about upgrade expiration. Very calculated and welcomed change. This move will increase their revenue and bookings by their top tiers and a very good move. Now you will have flyers who were delaying their SWU's posting breaking 100k and may strive for 125 or even 150 by year end to reach more rpu's and gpu's. ^ Nice move UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.