Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global and Regional Premier Upgrades will be valid longer

Global and Regional Premier Upgrades will be valid longer

Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
So what does happen? Know of course downgrade but does the same fare aka S fare still need to be available? Get back up on upgrade list? Is that automatic? Any and all info appreciated. Thanks.
We all agree this is great news. But in my mind there are questions. UA had soooo much time to think about doing the right thing (and a little more, thank you) that they should have been prepared and would have garnered more respect if they updated our accounts a couple days following this announcement. I still don't see it clearly what will happen with our 4 remaining November 2012 expire RPUs and 2 remaining December 2012 expire GPUs "later this month". If someone knows definitive I would like to know. My GPU "waste" count was additional 4. I was hoping for this but could just could not keep delaying use for UA and booked HNL and BOS for December.

That is the way I read it also. Earned for 2012 travel. Not earned FOR or EXPIRING in 2012. Hence pulling anything from domestic travel in our case is useless. My GS friend is going to be you know what. He read it once then went to have a drink.
I had to complete a report for AAs ExtrAA program obtain past corporate credit. The amount of money that went to AA was significant. It without doubt had at least one cent of impact on UA and to any business person that it too much given how many time over it will occur. Hope this ushers in a new more friendly climate with UA. So much has been lost on both sides. The past year of non love served no purpose. We do know things are done differently in Chicago than Texas. You would have thought those Chicago guys could hold their own.

My GS friends GPUs have not been extended. He has no RPUs left.

My expiring 2012 GPUs have also not been extended. My RPUs earned this year have. My expiring 2012 RPUs have not. They will expire at the end of this month.
Sad financial performance has a direct bearing on shareowners. Jeff knows that is the wrong set of people to you know what. WHAT would it have "cost" UA to blanket extend the 2012 expiring instruments into 2013 or January 2014. NOTHING. Because they still as has been written control upgrade inventory space. Lots of positive but the salt lingers.

Shannon. Thank you for the love. It is appreciated.
Dude can you just be happy we got next year's GPU's and RPU's extended and it looks like a policy that will exist for future years as well? Enough raining on the parade. You are talking about a month or two, take it like a man and stop crying already.

Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by schley
Dude can you just be happy we got next year's GPU's and RPU's extended and it looks like a policy that will exist for future years as well? Enough raining on the parade. You are talking about a month or two, take it like a man and stop crying already.

Do you understand that "what we got" is basically the same as "what we had" with UA in the first place? Taking something away, then giving it back, is not really a gift.

With UA, we got GPUs on Jan 1 of the next year, and they were good for the year. They therefore expired the same time that they expire under the new policy. With UA, we also had the option to get them early, and keep them for a year. With the new policy, we get them early, and keep them for a bit longer than a year. But, we only get them early when we cross 100K in a year. And, let's be honest, a very small proportion of 1K's will cross 100K early in the year. So, the delta on that set of GPUs, for most of us, isn't going to be more than a few months.

An improvement, yes. But, most of the "improvement" is simply a restoration of what we had before.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:57 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I read this 5 times to find the bad news hidden inside it, and there seems to be none?
That's because it wasn't announced on a Friday at the end of the day, when all bad news is announced.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thanks Shannon for the update.

Just logged into my account.

All the upgrade instruments I earned in 2012 have beed extented showing the new Expiry date of JAN/2014 ^
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Do you understand that "what we got" is basically the same as "what we had" with UA in the first place? Taking something away, then giving it back, is not really a gift.

With UA, we got GPUs on Jan 1 of the next year, and they were good for the year. They therefore expired the same time that they expire under the new policy. With UA, we also had the option to get them early, and keep them for a year. With the new policy, we get them early, and keep them for a bit longer than a year. But, we only get them early when we cross 100K in a year. And, let's be honest, a very small proportion of 1K's will cross 100K early in the year. So, the delta on that set of GPUs, for most of us, isn't going to be more than a few months.

An improvement, yes. But, most of the "improvement" is simply a restoration of what we had before.
We got an increase to what we had previously as you mentioned for the SWU's are available when earned until Jan of the next elite year. That never happened and you could only request 1-2 SWU's early in previous years in Oct/Nov. Thus that is a big improvement.

Also an improvement is the RPU's are now good until Jan of the next elite year. Now although they were downgraded to only 4 for 100k fliers instead of 8 earned throughout the year, their validity being long is a nice perk. Let's welcome improvements as improvements not complain of when they were taken away and given back. They are here, let's be happy about it.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Now I am back. Cynical. Where did that come from? When you become a million miler you will have more of a vested interest in being treated fairly by UA. More passionate.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Finally, a change I like!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by mdt76
I echo the feeling about the policy application to GPUs that are based on 2011 travel, since i have 6 unused (thank you lack of R space).

One other change that would at least help put the program on par with AA would be to also remove the W fare minimum restriction.
Ditto - have two left from upgrade wait-lists that did not clear this year. Called and they extended the expiration date to 1/31/13 (!) - not helpful for my next flight in March 2013. Had 77 K this year and found out they had not booked my last international trip on 10/26 - 10/30. After more than an hour on the line, I am still not clear if the new mile have been posted or what my new balance is - they said it would be posted in 48 hours. Used miles instead, and am on the waiting list (again...).

A brand loyalty program having a paradoxical effect - selecting, then alienating regular customers.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Really great change, glad to see UA go back to this. Of course if they had never changed it I wouldn't have waiting 5 months to re-qualify and they would have gotten those 65k interim miles instead of AA.

Glad to see this moving forward for next year though.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Great change - thanks, United!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Thanks, Shannon, for the update and for listening.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by schley

+1. So nice to have someone talking some sense in this thread.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Glad about the policy change but it just means that the lottery tickets have a longer expiration dates. They truly will be an instrument when you book the ticket, apply the upgrade, followed by picking the upgraded seat.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A great change!

Of course, the cynic in me also wonders how many "Premier flown miles" were diverted to other airlines this year due to the unfortunate decision to force the UGs on us as soon as we cross thresholds. At least they listened to feedback (and likely $$$) and made the change going forward ^
Yes, hurrah hurrah! I just wish I hadn't been so compusively GIVING AWAY all our RPUs and GPUs because they were going to expire!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
If anyone has experienced an extension to the expiration date of GPUs, please post here whether:

a) those were GPUs given in 2011/2012 based on travel done in 2011, or
b) those were GPUs given in 2012 after flying more than 100,000 miles in 2012

My guess is that the extension only applies to case (b).
My 2 GPUs earned in 2011 and expiring in dec 31 2012 still expire at the end of this year. My husband passed 100, 000K in Aug 2012, his recently earned GPUs now expire in Jan 2014.
Overall, this is a big plus for us...since we used to fly a lot in the begining of the year, so we can hit 1K early.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.