Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can't log into UA site (site back up @ ~1:08pm CST 7/17/12)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't log into UA site (site back up @ ~1:08pm CST 7/17/12)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
ua.com totally down ...

Got this message at united.com just now:
We are currently updating our website and reservations systems. This will temporarily affect our ability to serve you online and over the phone.
Must be a BIG update to bring everything to a standstill. Hope it's not impacting airport operations as well

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to actually use the website. We have since corrected the error. Customers will be given the choice to book with another airline, or wait until the website error resurfaces, rendering it functional again. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Preview site works
Great tip, thanks! This is the most useful post in this entire thread

I didn't think about using the Preview Site, but yeah it works for me too

Programs: UAL 1K 1.3MM till 1/31/2015 Bye Smissek, Delta Plat. Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by LeftsideWindow
Wow - no chance this was preplanned. So much for making that flight reservation. It's getting harder and harder not to end up on AA.com
Exactly, you don't update systems during business hours unless you have critical issue you need to resolve. I wonder how many $millions of revenue united books an hour at around 1 pm during the work week. Frustrating for me trying to plan future travel and fly today.

It can't be easy trying to keep united's creaky IT infrastructure running especially when you add SHARES to mix.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
Seriously, I want some speculation on what this costs them per minute of downtime. Most companies have a figure for that sort of thing, right?
This is indeed a good, very valid question. But it seems that the current management team's approach precludes taking this into account. It's all based on specific transactions, what can be milked via a specific ticket and passenger. Lousy systems, lousy customer service, lousy policies, poor training, stretching equipment and schedules too thin, delays, cancellations (unless UA has to pay another airline to take its passengers, which UA is loathe to do), etc. are all exogenous factors that fall outside this approach.

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
UA Website Shut Down Completely

Doesn't really make sense to do this mid-day on a weekday, but what do I know? You can't even get to the home page.

"We are currently updating our website and reservations systems. This will temporarily affect our ability to serve you online and over the phone."

Largest airline in the world and no way to get in touch with them.

Programs: UA, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Confused ... is it an "update" or an "issue" ??
Definitely looks like an issue. Here's their posting on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/united/status/225283338183778304
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:43 am
BCH

I booked a flight and my e-receipt has not arrived. My e-certs were not redeeming. and now the whole site is not working. Not a good sign.

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I can see my reservations and balance / correct membership level on the iPhone app; but when I try to price a rez I get "no valid session found"

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
oh, it's an issue. you can't bring your entire reservation system down mid-day on a Tuesday.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:44 am

The thing of it is that it's not just a web server or a database server that went down - UA hosts their site and related services on clusters of machines (most likely cloud services to allow for cost-effective bursting during high-volume times). To have the whole thing go down points to something pretty darn serious. Maybe they are using a 50 year old mainframe to power the (black) heart of their system and it committed suicide
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:44 am

United Airlines is down....nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah.

UA is so looking like the Washington DC metrorail system (DC residents will understand).
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:45 am

This will temporarily affect our ability to serve you online and over the phone.
Call centers also down?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by hobo13
Seriously, I want some speculation on what this costs them per minute of downtime. Most companies have a figure for that sort of thing, right?
I'm gonna go with "a lot".

It's currently business hours across the US, so it's presumably peak booking time. Some people will book later, but a reasonably large portion will shrug and head off to another airline.

Let's say 50% of potential bookings are lost to other airlines, assume (incorrectly) that all bookings are made in the 120,000 work minutes per year, assume $32 billion in revenue per year [last year's figure but I don't know if it includes CO] and they're burning about $130,000 a minute. That may be an overestimate, but it's the right order of magnitude.

Orbitz et cetera are still offering united for sale, though I'm not sure whether the booking would actually go through if you made one.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
This is indeed a good, very valid question. But it seems that the current management team's approach precludes taking this into account. It's all based on specific transactions, what can be milked via a specific ticket and passenger. Lousy systems, lousy customer service, lousy policies, poor training, stretching equipment and schedules too thin, delays, cancellations (unless UA has to pay another airline to take its passengers, which UA is loathe to do), etc. are all exogenous factors that fall outside this approach.
Well, this does have ramifications. If you are down 5 mins, maybe people wait and try again. If you are down an hour, Joe Kettle (Jeff's preferred customer) goes and books on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.