Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:44 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by travelkid
You know better than this, as you have followed the thread. Plenty of people did multi city, and of course some of these were newbies. I know a few who did this and booked one ways and/or intra asia at saver level without ever seeing any higher price. That these people didnt get mulitple bookings is in itself a sign they did not know it was a mistake and tried to game the system.
Actually, I didn't know that but if that's how it was in multi city searches, I stand corrected
Still think everyone knew it was a mistake but you raise a good point I didn't know about

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Why not? One can put an award on hold, with insufficient miles, to allow time to buy, transfer, etc. the necessary miles. I searched for my most recent award (not the 4 Mile Island) with about 1,400 miles in my account, knowing I would move UR points in if I found what I was looking for.
Of course they can. (I've done it myself). But you KNOW what the fare is going to be before you hold it. If you put a fare on hold that says 140,000 miles & all of a sudden it says 4 miles YOU GRAB IT cuz you KNOW it's a mistake.

My point in the last few posts is that I just don't believe anyone did not know this was a mistake. I just don't believe it!! Regardless of how my other posts have been taken, I don't think there was anything wrong w trying to take advantage of this. It was not dishonest, it was certainly not stealing. It was no more or no less then trying to take advantage of one of the numerous mistakes that pop up from time to time. I just fund it ludicrous that anyone would try to keep a straight face and say "I thought it was a sale" . If some choose to fight UA on this (which I don't agree with but to each his own), then at least they should fight it on the merits (UA screwed up & they need to make it right or whatever). Don't try to fight it saying you didn't know cuz IMO that argument would get laughed out of any venue you try it in.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 3, 2012 at 4:48 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Actually, I didn't know that but if that's how it was in multi city searches, I stand corrected
Still think everyone knew it was a mistake but you raise a good point I didn't know about

Of course they can. (I've done it myself). But you KNOW what the fare is going to be before you hold it. If you put a fare on hold that says 140,000 miles & all of a sudden it says 4 miles YOU GRAB IT cuz you KNOW it's a mistake.

My point in the last few posts is that I just don't believe anyone did not know this was a mistake. I just don't believe it!! Regardless of how my other posts have been taken, I don't think there was anything wrong w trying to take advantage of this. It was not dishonest, it was certainly not stealing. It was no more or no less then trying to take advantage of one of the numerous mistakes that pop up from time to time. I just fund it ludicrous that anyone would try to keep a straight face and say "I thought it was a sale" . If some choose to fight UA on this (which I don't agree with but to each his own), then at least they should fight it on the merits (UA screwed up & they need to make it right or whatever). Don't try to fight it saying you didn't know cuz IMO that argument would get laughed out of any venue you try it in.
While I agree with you nobody who knows about FlyerTalk thought it was a sale, Id think it's rather possible a novice to miles, who accumulates a lot but still doesnt know, suddenly decided to book a ticket to HKG, and was pleaseantly surprised to see the price reduced at the final page. After noticing this, he decided he can take his kids, grandchildren, heck, the entire neighborhood.

While such a large reduction in cost seems odd to him, he assumes this is UA way of rewarding it's most frequent customers.

While the odds of this story actually happening are small, the intent of the DOT regulation is to protect him.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by HumbleBee

While such a large reduction in cost seems odd to him, he assumes this is UA way of rewarding it's most frequent customers.

While the odds of this story actually happening are small, the intent of the DOT regulation is to protect him.
Of course the irony is that United would be rewarding the LEAST frequent customers (given the circumstance you illustrated!) The most frequent customers know better.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
Of course the irony is that United would be rewarding the LEAST frequent customers (given the circumstance you illustrated!) The most frequent customers know better.
I've met many very frequent (weekly transcons, etc) who had no idea besides 'Yeah, I have loads of miles with them'.

My understanding is that FTrs are the exception, not the rule.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
I've met many very frequent (weekly transcons, etc) who had no idea besides 'Yeah, I have loads of miles with them'.

And this is excactly why plenty of cases could have succeeded if taken to court. As there is no doubt there is a valid contract to start with, UA has the burden of prrof on an individual basis that the customer knew or should have known it was a mistake. And to prove that its not enough to say it was a low mileage price.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD

Very true. The people I know who travel the most are usually the ones w millions of miles but no idea how to even use them. I find this very common w EK but I'm sure UA is the same
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:34 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
HOW IS IT EVEN RELEVANT THAT IT WAS A MISTAKE?

Of course it was a mistake.

Doesn't stop their obligations AFTER they've ticketed. Or is there some mysterious mistake clause in the contract of carriage that absolves them of theirobligation to honor tickets thaythey themselves have issued.

And why the condemnation from long time FTers for people who wish to fight the issue? The armchair moral majority and their constant banter is tiring. In fact, the anti-mistake fare crowd just seems to be repeating themselves, over, and over, and over, and over...
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Very true. The people I know who travel the most are usually the ones w millions of miles but no idea how to even use them. I find this very common w EK but I'm sure UA is the same
I am willing to bet that not one of the people who found this mistake is a very FF who has no idea how miles work.

Originally Posted by seanthepilot

Doesn't stop their obligations AFTER they've ticketed. Or is there some mysterious mistake clause in the contract of carriage that absolves them of theirobligation to honor tickets thaythey themselves have issued.

And why the condemnation from long time FTers for people who wish to fight the issue? The armchair moral majority and their constant banter is tiring. In fact, the anti-mistake fare crowd just seems to be repeating themselves, over, and over, and over, and over...
I stand guilty!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 4, 2012 at 11:12 am Reason: multi-qoute
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program

Unlike most people, I read this entire thread. If you had done so you would have seen my post which explains why it matters. Under the law, if there is a mistake (as defined by the law), then there isn't an enforceable contract. So the issuance of the ticket becomes irrelevant.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. Let them fly this last time and then lock those accounts and blacklist them. Who knows what a customer willing to sue you over mistake free ticket is capable of...
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbrower
Unlike most people, I read this entire thread. If you had done so you would have seen my post which explains why it matters. Under the law, if there is a mistake (as defined by the law), then there isn't an enforceable contract. So the issuance of the ticket becomes irrelevant.
I read it all too. As much as Im constantly arguing that UA should honor, most jurisdictions have rules that can nullify a contract due to mistakes. But not just because it is a mistake as you seem to say here. There are more added to that, like that the buyer knew or should have known it was a mistake etc.

Thats why it matters.

Last edited by travelkid; Sep 5, 2012 at 2:24 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... In fact, the anti-mistake fare crowd just seems to be repeating themselves, over, and over, and over, and over...
Don't think you can limit that to just the anti-mistake crowd.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
And why the condemnation from long time FTers for people who wish to fight the issue?
Because it's embarrassing?

The armchair moral majority and their constant banter is tiring.
Just as, without the red-herring words, those who have a different point of view of morality (and every post on this thread presumes an ethical perspective of one sort or another) can be tiresome.

Originally Posted by sbrower
Ding, ding.

Originally Posted by azepine00
I agree. Let them fly this last time and then lock those accounts and blacklist them. Who knows what a customer willing to sue you over mistake free ticket is capable of...
Not a terrible idea. If DOT forces UA to honor these tickets, and if I were running the airline, it would be the last flight they'd have on United.

I continue to see this as really very simple: treat UA here the same way that you would want to be treated if you had made an honest mistake.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I continue to see this as really very simple: treat UA here the same way that you would want to be treated if you had made an honest mistake.
UA has always been very understanding.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Just as, without the red-herring words, those who have a different point of view of morality (and every post on this thread presumes an ethical perspective of one sort or another) can be tiresome.
I look upon it entirely with a legal perspective.

Ding, ding.
Did you miss my post? He is simply incorrect.

Not a terrible idea. If DOT forces UA to honor these tickets, and if I were running the airline, it would be the last flight they'd have on United.
On what legal basis? Thats just not possible + would be a PR disaster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.