Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Didnt someone mention taking UA to Small Claims Court over this? What happened with that? Just curious. The 30 day mark should be around this time....
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:01 am

I could digest it now..
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Didnt someone mention taking UA to Small Claims Court over this? What happened with that? Just curious. The 30 day mark should be around this time....
Im sure there will be some reports- but as there is no time-barring yet, people have likely been waiting for DOT still, and also the wheels of justice with bureacracy move slowly.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:39 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Anyone that has gotten accommodated or is taking legal action is likely NOT posting anything about it on this, or any other thread.

I sure wouldn't.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Anyone that has gotten accommodated or is taking legal action is likely NOT posting anything about it on this, or any other thread.

I sure wouldn't.
Then your more intelligent then many
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Then your more intelligent then many
Why? Wouldnt it be of public record?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by spring101
Not if they settle w a non disclosure agreement.

What I think SEANthePILOT was saying that if UA quietly approached certain people & said you can use your tkts but you must sign this non disc agreement & you can't tell anyone, then we would never know but I find that hard to swallow as a) I don't know why UA would allow any more use of these tkts & if thy did, I doubt it would stay quiet
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by spring101
Not if an NDA is part of the settlement.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
That is interesting. Because according to one of my sources they already reinstated the tickets for everyone (under an NDA) *except* the people who joined the private Google group.

(Okay, I am totally joking, but I can't wait for this rumor to get to the Google group.)
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
That is interesting. Because according to one of my sources they already reinstated the tickets for everyone (under an NDA) *except* the people who joined the private Google group.

(Okay, I am totally joking, but I can't wait for this rumor to get to the Google group.)
. I wonder what's happening w that.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:40 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by sbrower
You probably missed it in this long thread. The official response is that they cancelled all of the reservations except for the people who were booked to travel within the first few days.

There are unconfirmed stories (I think from only one poster, and that person didn't actually fly) that a very few other people were also allowed to travel.
No. I know the original reply and the new thread started with that
What if any are the subsequent confirmed "official replies" from UA for any of the DOT complaints or people who contacted them directly?
I read a few of them above, but mostly there has been silence
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by ffI
No. I know the original reply and the new thread started with that
What if any are the subsequent confirmed "official replies" from UA for any of the DOT complaints or people who contacted them directly?
I read a few of them above, but mostly there has been silence
That's the answer, silence. The DOT has already said they don't answer individual complaints. It looks like they forward them to the airline & ask the airline to respond. UA has been responding with the same answer they gave originally, that the tkts were cancelled cuz not enough miles were charged, etc, etc, etc. it is apparent that the DOT could have made UA do more but chose not to. Unless I'm missing something, as far as the DOT is concerned they are done & have no intention of making UA honor anything.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
I have friends and clients in the process of filing for SCC as we speak- in different EU countries. Purely on basis of contract law. DOT regs wil just be an argument, but most is centered around contract law and mistake.

CoC is not necessarily enforceable vs consumers.

I have guys who booked, paid and flew positioning flights to HKG only to IDB. No pre cancellation. Others booked intra Asia saver one ways not even in F and had it cancelled. These are non mileage pros who just recently signed up for a few CCs just to receive 100s of K of miles and points and suite upgrades for free! How could they know when UA gave them 1000 free sign up miles that the 4 miles sale was not some equivalent new customer bonus. Or even what value a mile had? Some of these cases they saved only some 10K of miles. Hard for UA to draw a line so they cancel all and hope for the best. But these are cases that are likely to succeed in court- in some jurisdictions.

And max level for SCC some places can be almost 25K$. Some SCC dont even have legal staff, so its a pure lottery. Do you think the laymen will side with a well spoken honest customer or a big faceless corp screaming mistake? Lots of interesting papers to be recovered. In itself a reason for UA to settle.

The risk and cost with such cases is so high for UA that 90%++ will be settled with vouchers early. Appeal options are limited, as well as the chance to recover expenses. I could give examples where the corp can not get under 20K$ in expenses + trouble and risk, where the customer risk only his time (if he doesnt hire a lawyer), research and a few hundred dollars.

It will end up with a dozen NDAs, and maybe some local court decisions in strange languages not easily available. After all far cheaper for UA than to honor all.

What I probably could do down the line, have these things verified by a few trusted FTers so you believe the stories. There is nothing preventing one from posting in full pre NDA of course. And if you have announced your minimum settlement you dont have to be Einstein to know what happened when nothing is announced due to NDA.

Good luck to everyone^
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by travelkid
How could they know when UA gave them 1000 free sign up miles that the 4 miles sale was not some equivalent new customer bonus.
Welcome to United Mileage plus, here's 1,000 bonus miles so you can book 250 first class tickets through HKG.

Seems reasonable to me!!!

I love this thread!!!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:50 am

interesting article

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...WxjT9JMy6zGYkJ

bottom line: when the company screws up, its the company's fault... not the customers.

(i write this from europe, where i paid more money NOT to fly UA from Chicago bc of their thievery).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.