Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck
Current court rullings suggest that this is not the case.
But why should facts matter?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by geeprice
Because the Threat of DOT action on cancelling tickets that were purchased with money is real, no matter how little money involved, were as the DOT silence in relation to tickets booked with FF miles which not a currency, nor even your own property to begin with is a good sign that different rules apply depending on how tickets are paid for.
To be clear - DOT has no authority to force an airline to honor tickets. They can fine the airline if they do something wrong, but, that fine does not go to travelers. Obviously, the threat of a huge fine is the stick the DOT can use to "encourage" the airline to honor the tickets, but, it cannot order the airline to honor the tickets.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
..For the UA tkts, it is certainly a different situation for those that booked by phone. These agents were morons, at over seas call centers & UA must pay the price by honoring these tkts since a phone agent is a "official" company representative. It's UA's fault that they mistakingly think they save money by hiring agents in India...
Until here I do agree.
As far as the ones that bought by computer, it's a different situation so UA does not have to hire. I'm not saying it SHOULD be a different situation but it is. The law makes allowances for mistakes by computers. Instead of arguing over what's right & what's wring you should be fighting to change the law
Well it's not my law ... but we also do not know what the situation in the US really is - UA seems to be merely speculating that the legal precedent does protect them from grand computer 'errors' (even though of course humans loaded that fare, no computer ever was at fault here) but we haven't seen any cases yet.

Though my main objection - and I don't even think that UA should be obliged to honour a 4 mile fare - is that if agents believe that their company hawks of such tickets for this 'promo' discount, then customers most certainly are entitled to believe that too and with their behaviour UA sanctioned the deal.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
I got my form letter today, letting me know my reservation has been canceled.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by karenkay
I got my form letter today, letting me know my reservation has been canceled.
An email?
It is weird that you receive it more than a month after the cancellation. I wonder if UA is still working on it or if...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by colpuck
If DL honors that fare, why won't UA honor this one?
Other than the fact there was a published base fare for the RGN fare and the fact DOT sided with the consumers on the last RGN fare mistake and tickets restored not log after?

Maybe the same fact DOT hasn't really budged in almost 2 months on the 4 miler tickets and there's a published award chart for more than 4 miles?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:34 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
There seems to be quite some misconception about calls being handled by Agents in India. I hope you guys understand that Indians are the majority who run, maintain and manage your IT systems in the US ( my experience at the last 20 clients I have visited as a Consultant) and you can always get US Call Center agents who are complete morons and sometimes amazingly rude. Try talking to an US agent of British Airways and you will find that they are superb combination of dumb AND rude.
So what was the official response from UA?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 22, 2012 at 10:41 am Reason: response to deleted post
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
Official Response From United to me from email yesterday

Dear Mr. CXXXXXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.
Recently, a programming error resulted in the miscalculation of the total number of miles due on the confirmation page and email for MileagePlus award travel to, from, or through Hong Kong. The correct number of miles was, however, displayed throughout the online reward redemption process and even shown on the confirmation page itself (just above the incorrect 4 miles total price). This error affected ticketing requests in all classes of service, including United's Global First cabin. Round-trip fares in that section can cost $20,000, while Global First award tickets require 300,000 miles for round-trip flights.

I regret any misunderstanding this may have caused. Please know that at the time you requested MileagePlus award travel to, from or through Hong Kong, your account did not have the correct and published number of miles required to complete the purchase. As a result, we have canceled the reservation and refunded all taxes and fees. The number of miles required for this award was provided during your transaction and is published on the MileagePlus travel award chart on our website.
Your continued support is important to us. We look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

Regards,

AXXXXX AXXX
Customer Care Manager
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by ffI
So what was the official response from UA?
You probably missed it in this long thread. The official response is that they cancelled all of the reservations except for the people who were booked to travel within the first few days.

There are unconfirmed stories (I think from only one poster, and that person didn't actually fly) that a very few other people were also allowed to travel.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ckc123
Dear Mr. CXXXXXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.
Recently, a programming error resulted in the miscalculation of the total number of miles due on the confirmation page and email for MileagePlus award travel to, from, or through Hong Kong. The correct number of miles was, however, displayed throughout the online reward redemption process and even shown on the confirmation page itself (just above the incorrect 4 miles total price). This error affected ticketing requests in all classes of service, including United's Global First cabin. Round-trip fares in that section can cost $20,000, while Global First award tickets require 300,000 miles for round-trip flights.

I regret any misunderstanding this may have caused. Please know that at the time you requested MileagePlus award travel to, from or through Hong Kong, your account did not have the correct and published number of miles required to complete the purchase. As a result, we have canceled the reservation and refunded all taxes and fees. The number of miles required for this award was provided during your transaction and is published on the MileagePlus travel award chart on our website.
Your continued support is important to us. We look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

Regards,

AXXXXX AXXX
Customer Care Manager
This has been posted previously and contains numerous incorrect statements.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
What incorrect statements? What page are they on? I just got the email yesterday.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
This has been posted previously and contains numerous incorrect statements.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by sbrower
There are unconfirmed stories (I think from only one poster, and that person didn't actually fly) that a very few other people were also allowed to travel.
Heathrowguy was one of the people who was allowed to travel, you can contact him if you like and seek confirmation.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Got my email from United just a few minutes ago. Wow, talk about a delayed reaction...

Last edited by qtpinoy54; Aug 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:04 pm

I also was able to fly on the ticket within the first few days, was a fun trip! I even rebooked and changed dates to allow more time in HKG midway thru the trip.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by Pyridoxine
I also was able to fly on the ticket within the first few days, was a fun trip! I even rebooked and changed dates to allow more time in HKG midway thru the trip.
Oh, way to keep rub it in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.