Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Progress update on our systems conversion" email

Old Jul 3, 12, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold

Just got a rather lengthy email from United regarding what's been going on since 3/3.

We continue to work hard to improve your customer experience.

Dear Oenophilist,

Providing good customer service to you is our top priority. Our systems conversion in March caused inconvenience or problems for a number of our customers, and we apologize for any issues you may have experienced. Your feedback in person, online and by email has been helpful to us in guiding our response and priorities, and we thank you for it.

We are progressing steadily and have already resolved many of the issues. Some will take longer, and we are working hard to fix them as soon as possible. Today, we want to update you on our progress, and also let you know what's to come.

Progress in our Reservations offices.
The performance measures of our Reservations offices are steadily improving. We have significantly reduced call wait times and our queues of customer emails. We recognize there are still peak demand periods when our call wait times are too long, so we continue to fix underlying issues and add resources.

Mileage credit, mileage redeposits and refunds.
Our systems conversion increased the amount of time required to credit accounts for flights and partner activity. Right now, United flight activity typically requires 48 hours for posting, while activity on certain partners may take up to 15 days. Please allow this amount of time for mileage posting before contacting us about missing miles.

Current mileage activity is now crediting accurately in the vast majority of accounts. After our systems conversion, there was a backlog of customer inquiries regarding mileage credits, redeposits and refunds. We have added substantial resources and modified our processes to be sure that we respond accurately to everyone. While we're not done yet, we have replied to most customers and are quickly addressing the remaining ones.

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards.
Star AllianceTM Upgrade Awards are bookable again on united.com. Learn more about Star Alliance Upgrade Awards.

Reminder about MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays.
If you request a MileagePlus® Upgrade Award that includes a co-pay, please note that we will collect it at the time you request the upgrade. If you are not successfully upgraded, we will refund the co-pay and recredit your miles for no fee. Learn more about MileagePlus Upgrade Awards.

Signing in to united.com.
We have received many customer questions about signing in to united.com. You can log in to our website in multiple ways, just as you always have:

Account number or email address or username
~ AND ~
PIN or password

Do you have more than one MileagePlus account?
If so, you should go online to merge them into one account. By having just one account, all your earning will be in one place, which means you'll get to Premier® status and awards faster. We'll combine your lifetime miles balance and account history too. It's an easy process that takes just a few minutes. Before you start, please make sure that the first and last names match between the accounts. If you have to request a name change, go to united.com first to learn what is required.

Updates for our Premier members.

Upgrades within 24 hours of departure. We understand the frustration that some of you have with being unable to request a Regional Premier Upgrade or Global Premier Upgrade within 24 hours of departure. Revising our systems to enable day-of-departure upgrades is one of our top priority projects. It will take us several months to complete, but we are committed to delivering on this for you.

Improving Complimentary Premier Upgrade processes. Premier members are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on most United- and Copa-operated flights in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, South America and intra-Asia. If your flight is eligible for a Complimentary Premier Upgrade, be assured that we will automatically add you to the upgrade list. Once you have checked in for your flight, you can see your position on the list by going to mobile.united.com or our mobile app.

Continuing to improve our upgrade procedures is a top priority. We understand that our members place a very high value on upgrades, and we do our best to accommodate as many people as possible, and in the proper order. Learn more about the upgrade benefits for Premier members.

Other key developments are also in the works. We are simplifying and better identifying our boarding groups and boarding sequence to improve your experience at the gate. We will introduce our improved boarding process soon. Plus, we're continually refining and adding to united.com, in advance of a completely redesigned state-of-the-art website coming next year. Visit the United Hub for website details, news about United products, answers to frequently asked questions and periodic updates on a wide range of subjects.

The bottom line is that we've heard you clearly. Our entire company is focused on delivering the travel experience that you expect from us. This is our number one priority, and we'll continue to update you as we progress.

As always, thank you for flying with United.
So it does sound like some things are getting through to management. Note that the email was from both Tom O'Toole, President, MileagePlus, and the infamous Martin Hand.

(Edited to include the whole letter)

Last edited by oenophilist; Jul 3, 12 at 2:29 pm Reason: updated with the whole email
Old Jul 3, 12, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Same here -very generous to state that if a co-pay upgrade doesn't clear they will refund money and miles for no fee - how about the interest you are earning on all the co-pays
Old Jul 3, 12, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, SPG Ambassador & Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Prez, AVIS 1st, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mandc2000 View Post
Same here -very generous to state that if a co-pay upgrade doesn't clear they will refund money and miles for no fee - how about the interest you are earning on all the co-pays
I thought the exact same thing. Want an upgrade? Apply as early as possible and be at the top of the list = we get to collect and keep your money longer.

Oh, and then we'll take weeks to issue the refund we owe you once you find yourself sitting in back.
Old Jul 3, 12, 2:57 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Is it wrong that I'm skeptical of the promises in this letter? In the back of my mind someone is screaming, "just ditch SHARES! For the love of science, please just kill it!"

And I just complained about the co-pay in another thread; I miss paying the co-pay at check-in and paying it weeks or months out is nauseating.
Old Jul 3, 12, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I haven't gotten this one yet (seems like I always get them several hours to a day after many FTers report on them), but the "hey, it takes 48 hours to post miles--please give us 48 hours!" bit makes me want to smack my head against the wall. Or smack someone's head against the wall.

I suppose it's an improvement from the immediately-post-3/3 72+ hours, or the PMCO process, but PMUA was able to credit miles within 24 hours or less very consistently. I just don't get why it takes so long with COdbaUA or why so much of the process is based on pure faith in "the system" (tried requesting missing miles or ORC post-3/3? It's painful in the amount of "the request is there; just give it 5 (or 7, 10, 14, or 21) days..." we hear, not to mention the ever-promised "(re)-sweeps" which only seem to make things worse when they do actually happen.

The "simplifying boarding groups" bit is troubling. I foresee a return to an elite cattle call, or worse. I just don't see why CO can't admit they were wrong on this and go back to something which worked fine, when the current process (or its prior 5 iterations) is clearly generating much rancor with pax.
Old Jul 3, 12, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
It's good that they're communicating, and being honest (as far as we know) about the delivery times and problems with the system. If they actually deliver a better customer experience, I will be impressed. For now, I'm withholding my opinion of the post-merger United, and trying not to be disappointed when things don't go my way.
Old Jul 3, 12, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
"Other key developments are also in the works. We are simplifying and better identifying our boarding groups and boarding sequence to improve your experience at the gate. We will introduce our improved boarding process soon. "

LOL again?!?!?!?!
Old Jul 3, 12, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You guys are so hard on them. They're eating crow. Just give them a fork and let them enjoy.

I always like these emails with this tone. It's acknowledging that they messed up, which is refreshing from this management team, even if it's not all the fixes we've been hoping for.

btw, no mention of airport experience or an update on FastSHARES which could be positioned as airport agent tools to more quickly serve customers.

So when are they going to pull that Smisek video that talks about how great the PSS is.
Old Jul 3, 12, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Slurve30 View Post
"Other key developments are also in the works. We are simplifying and better identifying our boarding groups and boarding sequence to improve your experience at the gate. We will introduce our improved boarding process soon. "

LOL again?!?!?!?!
my thoughts exactly...
Old Jul 3, 12, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.5MM, Marriott Plat / LT Gold
Interestingly, I just called to have two CR1s, er RPUs, redeposited and a res cleaned up...only took a few minutes and they were redeposited - and visually confirmed in my account by me - while on the phone. So, I guess that's an improvement.
Old Jul 3, 12, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
why so much thought into boarding process. go back to PMUA which had #1 on time departures, and be done with it already.
Old Jul 3, 12, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
And still waiting for a refund from November actioned apparently in March and awaiting two billing cycles ..it's now July and another reason that I won't give them another cent ..ever
Old Jul 3, 12, 3:40 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
If your flight is eligible for a Complimentary Premier Upgrade, be assured that we will automatically add you to the upgrade list. Once you have checked in for your flight, you can see your position on the list by going to mobile.united.com or our mobile app.
That's right! They will automatically add you to the list and you can keep watching the list as TODs walk past you...
Old Jul 3, 12, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Slurve30 View Post

LOL again?!?!?!?!
I feel bad for the GAs.. IIRC, we've had three new boarding orders since CO came into town?

This is just going to make things worse, unless they go back to PMUA boarding..
Old Jul 3, 12, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
When I saw this thread title on the front page of FT I just assumed it was a 3 month thread bumped up.

They are STILL needing to send these out? PATHETIC.

And what is this, boardin policy #12 that is going to be rolled out?

Oh, and it's been 8 days and still no SQ flights posted. The real United never went beyond 72 hours.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: