Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
PLEASE READ FIRST: WIKIPOST and MODERATOR NOTE

MODERATOR NOTE:
Please note: Insensitive or attacking posts, discussion about other posters and their motives, and other off-topic posts/comments are not allowed, per FlyerTalk Rules.

--> If you have a question or comment about moderation, use the "Alert a Moderator" button left of every post, or send a PM. Do not post such comments/questions on-thread. Thank you.

N.B. Please do not alter the above message.

• • • • •

[Please post NLY status updates and relevant Q&A here.]

Plaintiff: George Lagen, on behalf of himself and all others similarly situated
Defendant: United Continental Holdings, Inc. and United Airlines, Inc.

Filed In The United States District Court For The Northern District Of Illinois Eastern Division

Case No. 1:12-cv-04056
Filed: 05/24/2012

Judge Harry D. Leinenweber
Magistrate Judge Young B. Kim

Proposed class: All persons, as of midnight, December 31, 2011, who were members of the Million Mile Program under United Airlines’ Mileage Plus frequent flyer program.

Filings/rulings can be found on www.pacer.gov (requires registration)

12 June 2012 - Amended Class Action Complaint filed
Spring 2013 - Court denies United's request to close case
Spring 2013 - Plaintiff files for suit to become a class action, United asks Judge before he decides if there could be limited discovery (which typically happens after case becomes class-action). Judge allows it.
August 2013 - Depositions/Limited Discovery completed and transcripts were handed over to the court.
22 October 2013 - Pursuant to an order of the Court, both sides filed cross-motions for summary judgment:

Plaintiff contends that he is a United pre-merger Million Miler, that United promised Million Miler fliers certain lifetime benefits on its web site, including two regional upgrades every year and Premier Executive status, which provided certain delineated benefits (e.g., 100% mileage bonus). Plaintiff cites deposition testimony from United stating "lifetime" means: "as long as they were really able to fly … as long as someone is coming on a plane and alive and capable of flying." Plaintiff concludes by stating that United has breached its contract with its pre-merger Million Miler fliers by reducing the lifetime benefits they were promised.

United contends in its motion that Million Miler is part of the MileagePlus program, that United reserved the right to make any changes it wishes to the MileagePlus program, and that the changes it made that plaintiff now complains of are therefore contractually permissible. United does not admit, and does not address, the "lifetime" benefit statements that it made on its website.

23 January 2014 - Judge denies Plaintiff's motion for summary judgment and grants United's cross-motion for summary judgment. Judgment entered in favor of United.

The Judge begins his Opinion with a quote from Job: “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away” and then holds that Plaintiff has not produced any evidence that UA made him an offer to participate in a separate MM program.

The Court noted that: “The sum total of his evidence is vague references to ‘electronic and written correspondence’ from United, which, in both instances postdates his qualification as a Million Mile flyer and was not directed to him; and a 1997 Newsletter from United announcing the creation of the program he could not remember receiving. However the card he did receive from United, admitting him to MililionMile Flyer Program, shows that his new status is clearly a status within the Mileage Plus Frequent Flyer Program, as does the form letters United sent to applicants advising them of their admission to the MillionMile Flyer program. In fact, Plaintiff in his Complaint alleges that the MillionMile Flyer program was part of the Mileage Plus program. He has not produced any document that comes close to substantiating that the programs were separate and distinct."

Bottom line: The Court agreed with United's position that the Plaintiff had not proved the existence of a separate contract between itself and the Million Milers.

Full decision: http://media.wandr.me/MMerOpinion.pdf

20 February 2014

Plaintiff filed a notice of appeal of the trial court's decision. The record on appeal is due by March 13, 2014.

Appeal docs available at:
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-Appeal-filed-2-20-14.pdf
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-letter-of-appeal.pdf
Appellant's (Lagen's) Brief due 4/2/2014

8 September 2014
Oral arguments were heard by a three judge panel. Links to the original MP3 of the Court's recording and also some transcription can be found around post 2350 and for several more following that.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23496499-post2361.html

22 December 2014
Affirmed over a dissent.
http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2014/D12-22/C:14-1375:J:Wood:aut:T:fnOp:N:1474449:S:0
Print Wikipost

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Sure -- but PE benefits changed over time so the specific benefits were not enumerated. What is underlined indicates that you were given lifetime PE status and that status includes whatever benefits that status comes with as if you had requalified every year. Please do nt try to argue that the status remained constant throughout the life of the program. That clearly did not occur.
I see where you are coming from - UA used lifetime PE in the MM program and not lifetime Premier was because all the other airlines MM was at the third tier, the tier similar to the Premier level. United's MMile Flyer status was much harder to get and thus UA gave lifetime PE, the 2nd tier. Otherwise, UA's MM Program wouldn't have been worth it. It wouldn't have been so competitive.

What it will come down to, if it does, is what was their original intention when they made this decision back in 1997. Everyone who put the Million Miles and More Program together are all alive and well.

To have UAs best flyers bickering over their wording alone is shameful and awful. I know United's executives are reading this and I think it's disgusting this is happening. They know EXACTLY what they did was not right and should do the right thing and end this suit. But doing it the other way would be too costly.

Originally Posted by Baze
I totally agree. I was 1K for 10 years. And the rug got pulled out when I was within 65K of 1MM BIS on UA metal (have since passed it without the adjustment). Was a slap in the face for all I had worked for. And the sad part is because I was not there on 1/1/12 I don't get to be part of the class action if (when) it gets that far. I feel I had about as much invested in it as those that made it on 12/31/11.
Baze, my hopes that if UA is forced to do something with us PM UA MM, they would accommodate those who were close to it. This entire thing is a long-shot.

I realize it may not be the exact topic for this particular thread, but this is probably a place to point out that the PMCO MM program offered the lifetime spouse benefit. I am pretty sure that this was specified to be for the lifetime of the spouse (so that person would maintain status in the event of the death of the MM). I am pretty sure this is no longer the case. Such detail, if my recollection is correct, would be the same situation as the missing RPU instruments, a specifically defined benefit that was summarily changed/remved. I would be interested to hear what others recall about this. Feel free to start a new thread or to PM me.
Now this makes sense bc in Smisek's contract a lot of his benefits go on to his spouses after his death. That's where that came from, that was a PMCO. This is NOT the case right now, but would be great if it were the case. You have a suit there Xyzzy.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 30, 2013 at 11:10 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Everyone who put the Million Miles and More Program together are all alive and well.
You bring up a great point. They are still available to talk to to find out exactly what they intended. Unlike other things that are purely speculation as to what certain educated people "think" was intended by the people who wrote the items. The second amendment to the constitution is a prime example. We will never know what they really intended, only what is interpreted to be what they intended. So someone involved with the case should go talk to the people who came up with the program in 1997.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It was always clear to me that when I attained MM status I would be given lifetime status at some specified program level.
In the premerger UA million miler program? What does your welcome letter say? I have just the opposite view, in that I was promised lifetime Premier Executive status. I have the letter promising that. The UA web site promised that. I didn't agree to negotiate it away to some other specified program level.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by Baze
You bring up a great point. They are still available to talk to to find out exactly what they intended. Unlike other things that are purely speculation as to what certain educated people "think" was intended by the people who wrote the items. The second amendment to the constitution is a prime example. We will never know what they really intended, only what is interpreted to be what they intended. So someone involved with the case should go talk to the people who came up with the program in 1997.
The judge was going to give the suit class action status, around May of 2013. After it was to become a class action, all PM MM would become a part of the suit (unless they opted out). Discovery would begin.

United went ahead and asked the judge, before he gave the suit class action status, if limited discovery could be done first, he said yes. Limited discovery was done and was completed last month.

If the judge sides with the MM, with the limited discovery, UA will be in a tough spot. This means the limited discovery was powerful enough to move it forward. The next step would be total discovery and that is where everyone gets deposed and the true story comes together. That would not be good for UA. This would also include getting a group of you guys deposed and tell your stories. You see where this goes if we get the green light? Not good for UA PR-wise or legally.

Again let's see. The judge could side with UA as well.

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Sep 30, 2013 at 11:01 pm
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by tom911
I have just the opposite view, in that I was promised lifetime Premier Executive status. I have the letter promising that. The UA web site promised that. I didn't agree to negotiate it away to some other specified program level.
If UA had not changed the name of PE in the post-merger program would you still be arguing that you were nt given the PE status you earned? (Assume all of the other changes remain in place and that PE has what are now known as the PG benefits.)
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
... I have just the opposite view, in that I was promised lifetime Premier Executive status. I have the letter promising that. The UA web site promised that. I didn't agree to negotiate it away to some other specified program level.
If UA had not changed the name of PE in the post-merger program would you still be arguing that you were nt given the PE status you earned? (Assume all of the other changes remain in place and that PE has what are now known as the PG benefits.)
And how many times in this thread have we had this ("fruitless") exchange -- that's the reason for a judicial system and while we can state our opinions / desires / wide ... guesses / .... , the only vote/opionion that counts now is the Judge's (unless either side blinks and we have a settlement first).
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If UA had not changed the name of PE in the post-merger program would you still be arguing that you were nt given the PE status you earned?
Yes, I would, as the benefits I worked for over 18 years time would have changed and I was entitled to "lifetime" benefits based on the tier beneifts in 2010. It took me one long time to get to premerger UA million miler. How many years did it take you to reach the premerger UA million miler plateau?

I'm getting the sense you might not be a premerger UA million miler. What benefits do you hope to achieve from this litigation if that is the case?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
You all certainly have the right to try to read this stuff however you want and to try to litigate to get that reading made the correct one. I wish you the best with that. But I really see a lot of "convenient" reading of the promises here. Some claim that you were promised tier 2 but in fact PE went from tier 2 to tier 3 when GS was introduced (well after the existence of the MM program) and claiming that GS isn't part of MP is disingenuous because it absolutely created a new priority tier above you. Some fasten on the "with all benefits included" phrase as key when all that really seems to say is that they promised you full PE and not some PE lite where you didn't get all of whatever PEs were getting in a given year. I really do suggest that you just try to go unemotionally read the letter that Fredd posted above - it is really remarkably clear. They promised you PE. Not the benefits of PE, not whatever PE happened to get in 2003 or 2005 or whenever - they promised you would belong to the PE tier and that you'd be treated as such. There isn't any ambiguity in that letter. As I said above the only possible ambiguity is in what to map PE to. And there you'll have to make an argument that a category is defined by its resultant benefits rather than by its entry criteria in order to make a case for PE being other than PG. Perhaps you can do that, but I predict it will be extremely hard because in pretty much all fields of endeavor categories are defined by their qualification criteria (and I am not talking FF programs here - I'm talking categories in any field such a science). I understand the unhappiness and I agree that UA has in general screwed many of us. But that doesn't change what they promised and what they are doing.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:06 am

This is a perfect example of what usually happens when regimes change, fear rules, and promised benefits must be fought for, but in the end it is not who lies to themselves first in an attempt to be perceived as being correct, or who appears to have deceived, but rather it is he who has the best double-talking attorney that usually prevails.

So ask yourselves, would you lay a few thou at 50 to 1 that you are gonna receive 2 retroactive RPU's for each year that you were a MM flyer, some time in the future?

That's what will separate the TRUE believers from the huddled masses!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by LilAbner
This is a perfect example of what usually happens when regimes change, fear rules, and promised benefits must be fought for, but in the end it is not who lies to themselves first in an attempt to be perceived as being correct, or who appears to have deceived, but rather it is he who has the best double-talking attorney that usually prevails.

So ask yourselves, would you lay a few thou at 50 to 1 that you are gonna receive 2 retroactive RPU's for each year that you were a MM flyer, some time in the future?

That's what will separate the TRUE believers from the huddled masses!
LilAbner, it's fighting for what is right. As you read in the "Million Miler March" article, the outcome of this is going to be much greater than just a group of PM UA MMilers. Also, no one has asked anyone of anything. Life goes on, I was going to say no one has skin in the game, but we have put time, effort and money to get to Million Mile Flyer status - all of us. No one has skin in this suit except the Plaintiff and his lawyer(s). For the rest of us, life goes on.

Originally Posted by pdx1M
You all certainly have the right to try to read this stuff however you want and to try to litigate to get that reading made the correct one. I wish you the best with that. But I really see a lot of "convenient" reading of the promises here. Some claim that you were promised tier 2 but in fact PE went from tier 2 to tier 3 when GS was introduced (well after the existence of the MM program) and claiming that GS isn't part of MP is disingenuous because it absolutely created a new priority tier above you. Some fasten on the "with all benefits included" phrase as key when all that really seems to say is that they promised you full PE and not some PE lite where you didn't get all of whatever PEs were getting in a given year. I really do suggest that you just try to go unemotionally read the letter that Fredd posted above - it is really remarkably clear. They promised you PE. Not the benefits of PE, not whatever PE happened to get in 2003 or 2005 or whenever - they promised you would belong to the PE tier and that you'd be treated as such. There isn't any ambiguity in that letter. As I said above the only possible ambiguity is in what to map PE to. And there you'll have to make an argument that a category is defined by its resultant benefits rather than by its entry criteria in order to make a case for PE being other than PG. Perhaps you can do that, but I predict it will be extremely hard because in pretty much all fields of endeavor categories are defined by their qualification criteria (and I am not talking FF programs here - I'm talking categories in any field such a science). I understand the unhappiness and I agree that UA has in general screwed many of us. But that doesn't change what they promised and what they are doing.
pdx1M - I am assuming you became a 3MM when the two programs combined. I say this because you are a GS for life - for now - and it is possible you got it by not flying a portion, however small, even 10 miles, or 100 or 100,000. Unemotionally, I see you as if you are speaking down from your castle tower window. I would like to see them mess with your "GS for life" and see how you would react.

GS is not part of MP it is an invite only, you don't have to fly "x" amount of miles and you get tiers. It's in none of United's MP brochures. UA executives have told me this statement themselves.

Each one of us has a different benefit of their "Million Mile Flyer" that was important to him/her, and that is fine. For me it was the second tier for life (for me). For others, it may have been benefit "B", etc., now we find ourselves on here fighting over the wording, perceptions, etc. about the former program and it's horrible, this should have been properly handled by UA. I don't think anyone here wants more than what was promised for a lifetime. Right now it is not balanced -

- CO Million Milers in the One Pass Program, received lifetime status at 25,000 miles, it was raised to 50,000 in the new program.
- CO Infinite Elites leapfrogged to the top by going from the original 50,000 tier to the 75,000 tier to, finally, 1K for life, the 100,000 tier! Good for them!

Again I'm happy for the COs, I wish them abundance and happiness. United's best customers, those who were on average 1K (and GS) for ten years got all the lifetime benefits taken away and with the new 75,000 mile tier, we were downgraded in the pecking order.

You once mentioned you were a lawyer. To make the pre-merger UA MM Flyers WHOLE again, the most similar slot would be Platinum. Premier Platinum would have been the most gracious thing UA could have done for the PM MM Flyers. Considering the CO crew increased the benefits of possibly millions and millions of their MM, the majority who quite possibly did not even fly 1MM+ and lumped them together with true pre-merger UA MM Flyers.

At 2MM, add UC membership and that's it. That would be after TWENTY years of flying. But now it is a cluster because people have MP accounts with bloated pseudo-lifetime balances.

You can't un-ring a bell...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 1, 2013 at 4:45 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:22 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Some claim that you were promised tier 2 but in fact PE went from tier 2 to tier 3 when GS was introduced (well after the existence of the MM program) and claiming that GS isn't part of MP is disingenuous because it absolutely created a new priority tier above you.
In point of fact, UA refers to it as the GS program, just as they do the renamed Million Miler Program. These programs are somewhat separate from - and in addition to - the MP program.

Some fasten on the "with all benefits included" phrase as key when all that really seems to say is that they promised you full PE and not some PE lite where you didn't get all of whatever PEs were getting in a given year.
The phrase that has been published on FT literally for years, from a UA statement for employees, is "inclusive of all benefits."

...As I said above the only possible ambiguity is in what to map PE to...
And I as responded above, not everybody accepts the premise that you and UA would wish us to accept. Who came up with this "mapping" phrase anyway? Was it a UA executive or a FT poster?

Notwithstanding UA's obfuscatory efforts to reduce or remove promised lifetime benefits via this "mapping" strategy, some of us can still discriminate between, say, Shinola and other substances of similar color but significantly different composition.

GS is not part of MP it is an invite only, you don't have to fly "x" amount of miles and you get tiers. It's in none of United's MP brochures. UA executives have told me this statement themselves.
There you go. From the lips of the gods to our ears... ^

...To make the pre-merger UA MM Flyers WHOLE again, the most similar slot would be Platinum. Premier Platinum would have been the most gracious thing UA could have done for the PM MM Flyers...
Agreed. ^

You can't un-ring a bell...
No, but to extend your figure of speech to the breaking point, UA could even now ring it in a way to produce more melodious results instead of clangers for some of the longtime customers of PMUA.

Golly, it just struck me that this might even apply to other aspects of UA's current operations.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent;21533264[B
pdx1M[/B] - I am assuming you became a 3MM when the two programs combined. I say this because you are a GS for life - for now - and it is possible you got it by not flying a portion, however small, even 10 miles, or 100 or 100,000. Unemotionally, I see you as if you are speaking down from your castle tower window. I would like to see them mess with your "GS for life" and see how you would react.
I am 1K for life not GS and I earned the vast majority of that 3M miles BIS on UA. And from my perspective 1K is worth quite a bit less today than it was in pmUA days so it doesn't make me happy. But I am getting whatever other 1Ks get so while I can be upset with the devaluations I accept that they are part of the program. And if tomorrow UA announced that starting next year 1Ks would only get 75% bonuses I'd have to accept that because that is what 1Ks would get and I am a 1K. Wouldn't like it, but them's the rules. By the way - on the flip side if tomorrow UA decided to provide some new benefit to 1Ks I'd also expect to get it since that is what 1Ks get and I'm a 1K. Actually I guess they did this when they gave us the yellow handle wraps and I got one. My point has always been that what you and I got was a status level and that any benefit accrue from that. We didn't get the independent benefits as you want to insist. And if you actually read the letter that is very clearly what it says. And no I am not a lawyer and I never claimed to be one. What I am is someone who spent their career designing and researching computer systems in which it is critical to read precisely what a specification says and understand it - no more and no less. So my training and background goes to accurate interpretation of specs and perhaps that makes me a bit hypersensitive to sloppy reading of specs which is why I have consistently in this thread tried to get people to precisely read what was promised. I truly hope folks here get what they want and that they wind up happy about it. I really think UA would be wise to rethink their overall devaluations and their approach to us long term loyalists. And I agree that UA has played very loose with what would be considered fair in a lot of all this. But I maintain that at the moment what you are getting is what you were promised (except the RPUs) and I think you will have a very hard time getting a court to read these "specs" they way you'd like.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3M Lifetime, Mariott Plat for life
At 2MM, add UC membership and that's it. That would be after TWENTY years of flying.
The loss of the UC benefit is what really chaps my rear end. I was at 1.8M miles, after 18 yrs of flying, when the program ended and I was not grandfathered (others were). I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see this reinstated as it was promised in the program.

It's also not an insignificant issue that UA sold tickets based on this incentive and then they did not have to payout to those who made the achievement after the program was altered. In my case, I am now at 2.2M miles and should have been awarded UC for life. Dave
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Time for a separate thread?

All, I think it would be nice if we had a separate thread where only actual updates regarding case status were posted. There are one or two very well-known antagonists lurking who have taken great pleasure in stirring the pot at every opportunity. I am interested in this case but it's difficult to read through countless bickering posts in between actual updates, none of which gain any new ground, quite frankly.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer

All, I think it would be nice if we had a separate thread where only actual updates regarding case status were posted.
-
Considering the fact that there is no court hearings until middle January of next year (three and one-half months), having a separate thread where only actual updates about the case are allowed would result in a very empty thread.
-
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer

There are one or two very well-known antagonists lurking who have taken great pleasure in stirring the pot at every opportunity. I am interested in this case but it's difficult to read through countless bickering posts in between actual updates, none of which gain any new ground, quite frankly.
-
I know what you mean about the occasional heckler. However, a heckler can always be ignored, as they have been ignored so many times in this and other threads.

There are countless million-milers who only recently heard of the class action filed and there are many more each day or week that hear about the case.

It would not be fair to those new folks to restrict their postings to only "actual updates" about a case that is months away from its next scheduled court appearance.
-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.