Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
PLEASE READ FIRST: WIKIPOST and MODERATOR NOTE

MODERATOR NOTE:
Please note: Insensitive or attacking posts, discussion about other posters and their motives, and other off-topic posts/comments are not allowed, per FlyerTalk Rules.

--> If you have a question or comment about moderation, use the "Alert a Moderator" button left of every post, or send a PM. Do not post such comments/questions on-thread. Thank you.

N.B. Please do not alter the above message.

• • • • •

[Please post NLY status updates and relevant Q&A here.]

Plaintiff: George Lagen, on behalf of himself and all others similarly situated
Defendant: United Continental Holdings, Inc. and United Airlines, Inc.

Filed In The United States District Court For The Northern District Of Illinois Eastern Division

Case No. 1:12-cv-04056
Filed: 05/24/2012

Judge Harry D. Leinenweber
Magistrate Judge Young B. Kim

Proposed class: All persons, as of midnight, December 31, 2011, who were members of the Million Mile Program under United Airlines’ Mileage Plus frequent flyer program.

Filings/rulings can be found on www.pacer.gov (requires registration)

12 June 2012 - Amended Class Action Complaint filed
Spring 2013 - Court denies United's request to close case
Spring 2013 - Plaintiff files for suit to become a class action, United asks Judge before he decides if there could be limited discovery (which typically happens after case becomes class-action). Judge allows it.
August 2013 - Depositions/Limited Discovery completed and transcripts were handed over to the court.
22 October 2013 - Pursuant to an order of the Court, both sides filed cross-motions for summary judgment:

Plaintiff contends that he is a United pre-merger Million Miler, that United promised Million Miler fliers certain lifetime benefits on its web site, including two regional upgrades every year and Premier Executive status, which provided certain delineated benefits (e.g., 100% mileage bonus). Plaintiff cites deposition testimony from United stating "lifetime" means: "as long as they were really able to fly … as long as someone is coming on a plane and alive and capable of flying." Plaintiff concludes by stating that United has breached its contract with its pre-merger Million Miler fliers by reducing the lifetime benefits they were promised.

United contends in its motion that Million Miler is part of the MileagePlus program, that United reserved the right to make any changes it wishes to the MileagePlus program, and that the changes it made that plaintiff now complains of are therefore contractually permissible. United does not admit, and does not address, the "lifetime" benefit statements that it made on its website.

23 January 2014 - Judge denies Plaintiff's motion for summary judgment and grants United's cross-motion for summary judgment. Judgment entered in favor of United.

The Judge begins his Opinion with a quote from Job: “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away” and then holds that Plaintiff has not produced any evidence that UA made him an offer to participate in a separate MM program.

The Court noted that: “The sum total of his evidence is vague references to ‘electronic and written correspondence’ from United, which, in both instances postdates his qualification as a Million Mile flyer and was not directed to him; and a 1997 Newsletter from United announcing the creation of the program he could not remember receiving. However the card he did receive from United, admitting him to MililionMile Flyer Program, shows that his new status is clearly a status within the Mileage Plus Frequent Flyer Program, as does the form letters United sent to applicants advising them of their admission to the MillionMile Flyer program. In fact, Plaintiff in his Complaint alleges that the MillionMile Flyer program was part of the Mileage Plus program. He has not produced any document that comes close to substantiating that the programs were separate and distinct."

Bottom line: The Court agreed with United's position that the Plaintiff had not proved the existence of a separate contract between itself and the Million Milers.

Full decision: http://media.wandr.me/MMerOpinion.pdf

20 February 2014

Plaintiff filed a notice of appeal of the trial court's decision. The record on appeal is due by March 13, 2014.

Appeal docs available at:
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-Appeal-filed-2-20-14.pdf
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-letter-of-appeal.pdf
Appellant's (Lagen's) Brief due 4/2/2014

8 September 2014
Oral arguments were heard by a three judge panel. Links to the original MP3 of the Court's recording and also some transcription can be found around post 2350 and for several more following that.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23496499-post2361.html

22 December 2014
Affirmed over a dissent.
http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2014/D12-22/C:14-1375:J:Wood:aut:T:fnOp:N:1474449:S:0
Print Wikipost

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
So you are OK with MM flyers not being eligible for CPUs?
Couldn't care less. At 0 for 17, they are an illusory benefit in any case.

Originally Posted by star_world
Far from it. Merely pointing out that the delivery of "lifetime" benefits most certainly can, and do change in a very practical (and legitimate) way as a business changes over time.

If that's nonsense then there may be a bigger hole in the argument than you realise
It is the difference between a general promise (e.g., club membership where a club remains available) and a specific benefit (e.g., two regional upgrades a year).

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I know I am. And I feel that way about all levels, including MM 1Ks like myself (and non-MM 1Ks too). Let's do away with this joke of CPUs and go back to 'supported' upgrades with 500-mile certificates! ^
^

Originally Posted by colpuck
There is a question of whether or not you were promised benefits generally or specific benefits. Cases succeed and fail on such linguistic turns.
Yes. Two regional upgrades a year is pretty specific to me.

It's not a question of what's true, but what can you prove. Do you have any evidence that supports these assertions? When I buy a ticket, FF miles are never mentioned in the fare.
Well over 30-years of advertisements by the airlines of the frequent flier benefits they will provide to you, if you fly on them. Course of pattern and practice.

If you read my posts I point the CR-1s/RPUs as clearly defined damages. Of course class action attorneys can't eat CR-1s if you get my drift.
Nor can they eat discount certificates on Hertz.

The way it generally works is that the class gets certain non-monetary benefits (e.g., return of RPUs) and the parties agree that the attorneys will separately receive reasonable fees from the defendant in an amount set by the court.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: Concorde Connoisseur, ua 1mm
Originally Posted by Brian

I punish United every day in the marketplace, by withholding my loyalty from them.
[...]
Instead, I fly the airline that is most convenient, with the best service and the best fare for my purposes. That usually means Delta or American. If United is the clear winner, I fly them. They lose all ties, since they don't deserve to win.
^ with you 100%

Although for now I have a slight pref for aa.
Other than ua they still offer upgrade space weeks or months ahead (at
least on some intl routes I'm interested in) where ua has practically zero.

But again this is simple, rational and predictable behavior in a marketplace.
They diminish the rewards for loyalty, and inevitably loyalty diminishes.

It'll be interesting to see what'll be left of airline loyalty programs in a decade or so...
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Article in the Chicago Tribune today on million milers with mention of this litigation:
Airlines brace for a million-miler march

Just a few lines:
One reason United isn't talking is that it's the subject of a lawsuit brought by another Million Miler. George Lagen, a Chicago-based frequent flier, sued United in May after the airline reduced his elite status. United has tried to get the case thrown out, claiming that it has the right to modify its frequent-flier program, but in late January, a federal judge refused to dismiss the case.

Lagen's case is one of several lawsuits against United resulting from changes that occurred after it merged with Continental Airlines and began trimming the benefits of its combined frequent-flier program. But the Million Miler dustup is the most closely watched, not just among frequent travelers but also within the airline industry. Although incremental devaluations of frequent-flier programs aren't unusual, this marks the first time that a major airline has made such dramatic downgrades for its most established customers. If United prevails in court, it will almost certainly embolden other airlines to take similar steps.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Interesting snippet Tom of that Chris Elliot article in the Chicago Tribune ... this piece caught my eye -

=========

If you don't like some of the recent changes to your airline loyalty program, talk to Mike Croswell. He's a United Airlines "Million Miler" who assumed that his three decades of devotion to the airline would be reciprocated after he stopped being a frequent flier.

He assumed wrong.

"The money I spent chasing Million Mile status is without a doubt the poorest investment of my career," says Croswell, who lives in Aspen, Colo., and joined United's frequent-flier program, MileagePlus, in 1983. "I have zero benefits that were promised to me."

Million Milers are, as the name suggests, air travelers who have given their long-term loyalty to one airline. In exchange for flying a million miles, they're typically offered lifetime "elite" status that includes access to upgrades, preferred treatment and other perks reserved for an airline's top customers.

But as airlines begin to aggressively restructure their frequent-flier programs, some veteran air travelers who have retired but were depending on the benefits they worked for while they were still frequent fliers have found that their airlines are no longer treating them like the valued customers they thought they were.

Croswell says that his benefits have evaporated since United's merger with Continental. Gone are many of the upgrades and other perks, and his boarding pass doesn't even note his "Million Miler" status anymore.

"Imagine putting money in a savings account, and the day you go to redeem the promised return, they say, 'Sorry, we changed the rules. Your money is worth nothing now,'" he says. "I feel betrayed."

United Airlines did not respond directly to Croswell's criticisms and would not provide a representative of its MileagePlus program for an interview. But Charles Hobart, a spokesman for the airline, said that United's loyalty program is "very generous to customers who have been loyal to us in the past."

etc, etc.

=========

That one piece alone will cost UA more in bad PR in a fortress hub, than giving all MM'ers the 2 x annual CRIs they clearly promised in writing would have cost.

UA fighting this is madness on the PR front.

Do NOT promise MILLION MILERS things on your own website that you later state was not a promise in any way! And remove a "LIFETIME" benefit all MMs were promised in writing for years on end. It just will not fly.

Last edited by ozstamps; Sep 28, 2013 at 1:58 am
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ozstamps
United Airlines did not respond directly to Croswell's criticisms and would not provide a representative of its MileagePlus program for an interview. But Charles Hobart, a spokesman for the airline, said that United's loyalty program is "very generous to customers who have been loyal to us in the past."[/I]
What he should have said was "customers who have been loyal to us in the past 2 minutes (and dropping)"
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Quote:

Originally Posted by Always Flyin

You just want to argue nonsense for the sake of argument and I have neither the time nor the desire.

As to the CPU "benefit", however, at 0 for 17 this year for me, it is not much of a benefit for a Gold anyway.

So you are OK with MM flyers not being eligible for CPUs?
I would give it up for 2 regionals and 100% mileage bonus as 1P status gave.

But it is a silly question as CPU was on PMUA. In addition to CR1 (RPU)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Great article - and why this lawsuit is so much more important than just to the pre-merger UA Million Mile Flyers. This is going to have ripple effects across industries promising LIFETIME benefits to their customers.

If the judge sides with UA, the system will fall apart; consumers will not believe a company promising lifetime benefits. I don't see how there would be any consumer confidence, since a company, promising LIFETIME benefits, can change it's promises whenever.

"LIFETIME" means exactly that. If we lose, I will respect the judge's decision, but it will be such a sad moment.

As for the United Club example about the no alcohol or closing down some clubs. That is different and they know it. Lifetime Club membership did not promise benefit "A: There will always be a club in cities a,b,c, etc"; "B: Unlimited free alcohol in every club for a LIFETIME."; "C: Hours will ALWAYS be 9-10"

You bought a LIFETIME membership to an airline CLUB, not a membership with certain promised benefits. You also paid what $300?

I gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to UA to become a Million Mile Flyer with the anticipation of the LIFETIME PROMISED BENEFITS that came with it. Most important to me (just myself) was that it came with Premier Executive status which was second tier in the Mileage Plus Program for the two+ decades I flew with UA.

There were clearly defined LIFETIME benefits in the Million Miles and More Program: LIFETIME BENEFIT A, LIFETIME BENEFIT B, LIFETIME BENEFIT C - all taken away more than a year ago. Terrible.

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Sep 27, 2013 at 10:59 pm
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
There were clearly defined LIFETIME benefits in the Million Miles and More Program: LIFETIME BENEFIT A, LIFETIME BENEFIT B, LIFETIME BENEFIT C - all taken away more than a year ago. Terrible.
While I really do respect your very polite posts in this thread why do you insist on this hyperbole. From above in the thread what was on the web for years was:

Rewarding One Million Miles and Beyond
If you have flown one million, two million or three million miles, or more, on http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ngue.gifUnited, we congratulate you on these incredible milestones. To show how much we appreciate your remarkable loyalty, there are different levels of rewards. We are delighted to offer the following to our very best customers:
1 Million Mile Rewards
When you have flown one million lifetime base flight miles on United and United Express, you are rewarded with some exclusive benefits including:
Premier Executive® status for life. Learn about the benefits (hyperlink)
Two (2) Regional Upgrades at the end of every year
Three (3) Systemwide Upgrades to use for a one-class, one-way upgrade on United or United Express flights to any destination we fly worldwide, subject to terms and conditions.
So: your Lifetime Benefit A was PE status for life and your Lifetime Benefit B was 2 Regional Upgrades at the end of every year. (The SWUs were a one time thing that you already got.) If we can agree that these were A and B, then clearly UA dropped B and there is real question as to whether that was legal - I think it shouldn't be as do you. The remaining question then is not about benefits - it is about whether PE for life should translate to PG for life in the new program or perhaps PP. That is the only real question that the suit can address beyond the Upgrades. They promised you a status level that was named PE which no longer exists so the best they can do is to give you some status level that does now exist and there are 2 possible choices - PG or PP. In the interest of focusing all the general angst around this issue I really wish folks would realize that given the text of what pmUA promised - this is the question.

There are 2 ways to decide what PE should be:
- By qualification definition: i.e., to be a PE you had to fly 50K and the equivalent now is PG.
- By implied benefits: PE gave you certain rights (e.g., 100% bonus) and PP provides benefits closer to those.

Personally I think of tiers as defined by their qualifications since their associated benefits can and have changed over the year but I accept that the other alternative is what many here believe. In either case, this entire issue really comes down to only these 2 issues regarding pmUA's promises

the regional upgrades and the PE to new program mapping

All the rest of the stuff really isn't relevant.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Ww -- what an excellent summary of the whole situation!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AADULtArer
"Imagine putting money in a savings account, and the day you go to redeem the promised return, they say, 'Sorry, we changed the rules. Your money is worth nothing now,'" he says. "I feel betrayed."
Imagine putting your money into a savings account, where the rules are stated that they can be changed at any time.....and so on...

Im sorry for the people who chased this stuff. I have Enron stock to my credit.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by pdx1M

There are 2 ways to decide what PE should be:
- By qualification definition: i.e., to be a PE you had to fly 50K and the equivalent now is PG.
- By implied benefits: PE gave you certain rights (e.g., 100% bonus) and PP provides benefits closer to those.
United could have found a way to create a new Mileage Plus program in which everyone benefited and no one lost anything. I am saddened that they did not do that.

I guess, since the United management believed that elites were over entitled, United decided to take away some benefits. Unfortunately, pre- merger United Million Milers and Premier Executives seem to have lost the most. As a result, United lost a lot of trust - and a number of very frequent flyers.

Now, a court may decide if what United did was within their rights. More likely, there will be a settlement.

Hopefully, a return to the "Friendly Skies" may signify a return to a more friendly attitude toward elites and some new approach to dealing with the concerns set out in this lawsuit. (Well, I can dream, can't I?)
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
United could have found a way to create a new Mileage Plus program in which everyone benefited and no one lost anything. I am saddened that they did not do that.
I did not claim that the choices UA made here were moral, "friendly", or business "savvy". It might have been smart for them to have actually done a one time "gift" of some sort to welcome all the long term customers to the new-UA (miles, couple of upgrades, whatever). Certainly I, as a long time senior manager, would have considered doing that. We did it for internal purposes when some major corporate changes happened and it generated good will far beyond its monetary value. They clearly chose to take, for the most part, the low road and there are ample threads here discussing whether those choices have weakened the business performance of the resulting company. The path they chose saddens me as well and it has cost UA a decent amount of business from me. All I was trying to do here is to frame the actual question regarding the MM suit amid a lot of often over-the-top angst.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
I gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to UA to become a Million Mile Flyer with the anticipation of the LIFETIME PROMISED BENEFITS that came with it. Most important to me (just myself) was that it came with Premier Executive status which was second tier in the Mileage Plus Program for the two+ decades I flew with UA.
In reality Premier Executive was the top tier in the 80's until they created the Premier Executive 1K sometime in the early 90's I believe. So as we see our loyalty getting lower and lower on the totem pole you can only think of what Continental did with the Infinite Elites that at the time probably flew a lot LESS miles. And even in the merger gave them a promotion. So Continental set a precedent of elevating their most loyal fliers by always making them top tier. I guess their answer was when they took over United they were going to keep that promise to Infinite Elites but screw the United Million Mile fliers by demoting them.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:05 am

I keep hoping that this lawsuit, through discovery or otherwise, will shed some light on the process by which some of these MM decisions were reached by UA. Were these the recommendations/ideas of an inter-airline working group which the executives simply signed off on or did senior management direct the lower levels to cut back on MM benefits and this is what they came up with?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
For those who wish to give United a bellyache, a few dozen (or more) emails to analysts following the stock from Million Mile and 1k flyers who have ended their loyalty to United over this and United's operational issues would probably have an outsized effect.

Noting this thread, it's clear that there is going to be some increasing scrutiny of United's financial delivery moving forward... and getting into the heads of the analysts who follow the stock is an entirely different way to apply pressure to management to get it's act together.

A series of emails describing why you shifted loyalty and how much you travel could have quite the influence, if it is done with patience and level heads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.