Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
PLEASE READ FIRST: WIKIPOST and MODERATOR NOTE

MODERATOR NOTE:
Please note: Insensitive or attacking posts, discussion about other posters and their motives, and other off-topic posts/comments are not allowed, per FlyerTalk Rules.

--> If you have a question or comment about moderation, use the "Alert a Moderator" button left of every post, or send a PM. Do not post such comments/questions on-thread. Thank you.

N.B. Please do not alter the above message.

• • • • •

[Please post NLY status updates and relevant Q&A here.]

Plaintiff: George Lagen, on behalf of himself and all others similarly situated
Defendant: United Continental Holdings, Inc. and United Airlines, Inc.

Filed In The United States District Court For The Northern District Of Illinois Eastern Division

Case No. 1:12-cv-04056
Filed: 05/24/2012

Judge Harry D. Leinenweber
Magistrate Judge Young B. Kim

Proposed class: All persons, as of midnight, December 31, 2011, who were members of the Million Mile Program under United Airlines’ Mileage Plus frequent flyer program.

Filings/rulings can be found on www.pacer.gov (requires registration)

12 June 2012 - Amended Class Action Complaint filed
Spring 2013 - Court denies United's request to close case
Spring 2013 - Plaintiff files for suit to become a class action, United asks Judge before he decides if there could be limited discovery (which typically happens after case becomes class-action). Judge allows it.
August 2013 - Depositions/Limited Discovery completed and transcripts were handed over to the court.
22 October 2013 - Pursuant to an order of the Court, both sides filed cross-motions for summary judgment:

Plaintiff contends that he is a United pre-merger Million Miler, that United promised Million Miler fliers certain lifetime benefits on its web site, including two regional upgrades every year and Premier Executive status, which provided certain delineated benefits (e.g., 100% mileage bonus). Plaintiff cites deposition testimony from United stating "lifetime" means: "as long as they were really able to fly … as long as someone is coming on a plane and alive and capable of flying." Plaintiff concludes by stating that United has breached its contract with its pre-merger Million Miler fliers by reducing the lifetime benefits they were promised.

United contends in its motion that Million Miler is part of the MileagePlus program, that United reserved the right to make any changes it wishes to the MileagePlus program, and that the changes it made that plaintiff now complains of are therefore contractually permissible. United does not admit, and does not address, the "lifetime" benefit statements that it made on its website.

23 January 2014 - Judge denies Plaintiff's motion for summary judgment and grants United's cross-motion for summary judgment. Judgment entered in favor of United.

The Judge begins his Opinion with a quote from Job: “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away” and then holds that Plaintiff has not produced any evidence that UA made him an offer to participate in a separate MM program.

The Court noted that: “The sum total of his evidence is vague references to ‘electronic and written correspondence’ from United, which, in both instances postdates his qualification as a Million Mile flyer and was not directed to him; and a 1997 Newsletter from United announcing the creation of the program he could not remember receiving. However the card he did receive from United, admitting him to MililionMile Flyer Program, shows that his new status is clearly a status within the Mileage Plus Frequent Flyer Program, as does the form letters United sent to applicants advising them of their admission to the MillionMile Flyer program. In fact, Plaintiff in his Complaint alleges that the MillionMile Flyer program was part of the Mileage Plus program. He has not produced any document that comes close to substantiating that the programs were separate and distinct."

Bottom line: The Court agreed with United's position that the Plaintiff had not proved the existence of a separate contract between itself and the Million Milers.

Full decision: http://media.wandr.me/MMerOpinion.pdf

20 February 2014

Plaintiff filed a notice of appeal of the trial court's decision. The record on appeal is due by March 13, 2014.

Appeal docs available at:
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-Appeal-filed-2-20-14.pdf
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-letter-of-appeal.pdf
Appellant's (Lagen's) Brief due 4/2/2014

8 September 2014
Oral arguments were heard by a three judge panel. Links to the original MP3 of the Court's recording and also some transcription can be found around post 2350 and for several more following that.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23496499-post2361.html

22 December 2014
Affirmed over a dissent.
http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2014/D12-22/C:14-1375:J:Wood:aut:T:fnOp:N:1474449:S:0
Print Wikipost

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin

Legally, it has to do with whether you had vested benefits or not.

Those who had earned a MM were legally vested and those who did not are not.

Remember, once you are a MM, there is a separate set of specific promises made. Prior to making MM, UA retained the right to make whatever changes it wanted in the program.

It is conceptually no different than being in the military for 19-years and complaining you get no pension. Prior to 20-years, you get nothing. Once hitting 20, you do.

For me, the best settlement would be to carve out pre-merger UA Million Milers, give them two regional upgrades a year and give them all the benefits Premier Exec had at the time the benefits were withdrawn (Star Gold status, 100% RDM bonus, etc.). Of course, they would have to retroactively provide the regional upgrades (so give four a year until the gap is covered when none were issued) and bonus RDMs.

Frankly, it wouldn't cost UA that much to do this and it would save them from the bashing they take from anyone I can get to listen. Who knows? They might even get some good will out of it and defectors might come back.
-

I like your idea/settlement suggestion.

In fact, I like it so much, I might copy your post and post it in this thread about as often as I post the two breached regional upgrades. I might even post it more often than I post the breached upgrades.

Maybe UA will see this and take your suggestion. That could (maybe) end the lawsuit and, as you wrote, some defectors might return to UA.

image-

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 10, 2013 at 2:52 pm Reason: spelling/image
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM

Remember, once you are a MM, there is a separate set of specific promises made. Prior to making MM, UA retained the right to make whatever changes it wanted in the program.

It is conceptually no different than being in the military for 19-years and complaining you get no pension. Prior to 20-years, you get nothing. Once hitting 20, you do.

For me, the best settlement would be to carve out pre-merger UA Million Milers, give them two regional upgrades a year and give them all the benefits Premier Exec had at the time the benefits were withdrawn (Star Gold status, 100% RDM bonus, etc.). Of course, they would have to retroactively provide the regional upgrades (so give four a year until the gap is covered when none were issued) and bonus RDMs.

Frankly, it wouldn't cost UA that much to do this and it would save them from the bashing they take from anyone I can get to listen. Who knows? They might even get some good will out of it and defectors might come back.

Maybe.
This is exactly the case. Those who right there like Monsieur Baze were not legally vested and that is the issue. For me, I personally believe anyone who was in the PMUA MPlus program gunning to be a MMile Fler should be included. What I am hoping or is for UA out of good will grandfather those who were close, IF anything happens; right now this is all up in the air.

I would do what Baxe did, write to the Plaintiffs lawyers showing support and tell them not to forget the ones close to MM. Keep it simple.

Originally Posted by tom911
And it's not just the material on the web site. I still have my 2010 welcome letter spelling out the perks:

It still surprises me that one poster here says those are worth about as much as a rock in a box and that UA can do anything they want to do with my lifetime benefits. It's just very difficult to buy into that policy after this letter promising exactly the opposite.
Tom, at the end of the day, those who talk nonsense, t's all noise. Don't listen to anyone because they have no skin in the game. It's just "blah, blah, blah" - like Charlie Brown's teacher. What matters is what the Judge rules. I am hoping it become class certified.

Cross your fingers.

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

I like your idea/settlement suggestion.

In fact, I like it so much, I might copy your post and post it in this thread about as often as I post the two breached regional upgrades. I might even post it more often than I post the breached upgrades.

Maybe UA will see this and take your suggestion. That could (maybe) end the lawsuit and, as you wrote, some defectors might return to UA.

-

Agreed -

Originally Posted by greg99
I tend to be a bit of a cynic, but I suspect that defining the proposed class as solely those individuals who were already MM on 12/31/11 is not really driven by the quality of the legal arguments being better around their claims than those who were not MM on 12/31/11.

I would hazard to guess that the proposed class was defined in that fashion to facilitate easier settlement by the parties.

The lawyers have no incentive to fight the latter battle, because they want to get paid early, and the class representatives don't care about the rest of the affected population, because they're part of the defined class likely to get taken care of. The rest of the MP public is basically being told to go away and be quiet.

Greg
Greg, everything you said above is not true. It has to do with crossing the threshold - once a passenger crosses the million mile mark, they have legally fulfilled the requirement to be a Million Mile Flyer and engaged with UA in a separate contract apart from Mileage Plus. What I am hoping is for UA to honour those who were close to the MM mark. That's of course this sides with the MMile Flyers. This has nothing to do with lawyers or the Plaintiff (remember, he is not our class representative until this becomes a class action).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 10, 2013 at 2:52 pm Reason: multi-quote should be used/image
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by greg99
If the goalposts could be moved for people who hadn't reached MM, despite flying as many as 999,999 miles, why couldn't the benefits be changed for those who had flown as little as ...
What about someone who had only flown 1000 miles but who knew in his heart that in 25 years or so he's make it to a millin?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:20 am

How about giving the claimants/class (however that is eventually defined) a one-time, binding choice: the original, pre-merger UA MM benefits or the new benefits (e.g., spouse status, etc.)? Believe or not, I think quite a few would take the second choice (if for no other reason than to keep a spouse happy).
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
How about giving the claimants/class (however that is eventually defined) a one-time, binding choice: the original, pre-merger UA MM benefits or the new benefits (e.g., spouse status, etc.)? Believe or not, I think quite a few would take the second choice (if for no other reason than to keep a spouse happy).
They can already get that: opt out of the class when the class is certified.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

For me, the best settlement would be to carve out pre-merger UA Million Milers, give them two regional upgrades a year and give them all the benefits Premier Exec had at the time the benefits were withdrawn (Star Gold status, 100% RDM bonus, etc.).

Of course, they would have to retroactively provide the regional upgrades (so give four a year until the gap is covered when none were issued) and bonus RDMs.

Maybe.
I hope UA are pushed to do this kind of thing.

Going forward, getting a million is a lot easier, but a few years back it was still pretty hard for most flyers. 100% UA, no Star partners, no credit card bonuses, no COS bonuses. A million REAL miles. .

I personally spent a great deal of my money to get there, well before the guillotine dropped 2 years back.

United made me written promises and I'd like to see them meet them.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ozstamps
IGoing forward, getting a million is a lot easier, but a few years back it was still pretty hard for most flyers. 100% UA, no Star partners, no credit card bonuses, no COS bonuses. A million REAL miles.
Note that it's now back to that!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I hope UA are pushed to do this kind of thing.

Going forward, getting a million is a lot easier, but a few years back it was still pretty hard for most flyers. 100% UA, no Star partners, no credit card bonuses, no COS bonuses. A million REAL miles. .

To be technically correct, those who flew a lot of segments had a lot of 500-mile minimums thrown in there.

This does not defeat your "All were BIS' argument, but at least lay full transparency out there. (To be fair, considering your locale, you were in all likelihood true BIS).

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Note that it's now back to that!
I think his point (more like a jab) was that for many of us here (pmCO, like myself), we were "inflated" up until the adjustment, and will have it easier than others to get there due to the previous boost.

These are in the same vein as the threads about not giving government Y fares upgrades, or disdain concerning the 1Ks who earn on MRs.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 9, 2013 at 10:52 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
United made me written promises and I'd like to see them meet them.
Have you considered taking them to small claims (or your equivalent) court in Australia? Would anticipate they wouldn't spend the $ to fight it ... would establish a great precedent!! Have you considered this?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Going forward it isn't easier to get to MM, it's all BIS. Yes, there was the one-time true up where we got a bump towards the next level, but now we're back to BIS only for the rest of the miles needed to make that next level. You can include COPA flights, so that makes it a bit easier for a % of people.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Have you considered taking them to small claims (or your equivalent) court in Australia? Would anticipate they wouldn't spend the $ to fight it ... would establish a great precedent!! Have you considered this?
For small claims court, he would have to show damages.

Originally Posted by tom911
And I do recall the judge specifically addressing that:
You forgot to quote the rest:

"Of course, as this case proceeds, it will be Plaintiff’s burden to prove (not plead) that a contract exists between Plaintiff’s proposed Million Miler class and United that differs from the Mileage Plus contract United argues is the contract Plaintiff seeks to enforce. In order to make this showing, Plaintiff will need to provide the Court more than mere allegations."

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
-
"Of course, as this case proceeds, it will be Plaintiff’s burden to prove (not plead) that a contract exists between Plaintiff’s proposed Million Miler class and United that differs from the Mileage Plus contract United argues is the contract Plaintiff seeks to enforce. In order to make this showing, Plaintiff will need to provide the Court more than mere allegations."
-
-

Here is an excellent piece of "evidence" confirming that the contract for MM was different. This screen shot discusses "lifetime" benefits that applied only to MM fliers and not to the general frequent flier population.

As most readers know, UA has not honored this written lifetime commitment.
image-

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm Reason: wrong word/image
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
To be technically correct, those who flew a lot of segments had a lot of 500-mile minimums thrown in there.

This does not defeat your "All were BIS' argument, but at least lay full transparency out there. (To be fair, considering your locale, you were in all likelihood true BIS).
It wasn't like you received 500-miles for free. You simply had a segment that was somewhat less than 500-miles and they upped the actual flight miles from that to 500, so it is only the difference between the actual flight miles and 500-miles that was an artificial bump.

Frankly, there aren't all that many segments that are less than 500-miles, and those that are aren't a whole lot less than 500-miles, so I think it is practically irrelevant.

Besides, if someone made MM on 500-mile segments, they would have flown 2,000 of them. Glad it wasn't me.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
MINUTE entry before Honorable Harry D. Leinenweber:Status hearing held on 9/10/2013. Cross motions for summary judgment with supporting briefs to be filed by 10/22/2013. Responses to be filed by 11/21/2013. Reply briefs due by 12/20/2013. The court will rule orally on 1/16/2014 at 09:00 AM.Mailed notice (wp, ) (Entered: 09/10/2013)
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It wasn't like you received 500-miles for free. You simply had a segment that was somewhat less than 500-miles and they upped the actual flight miles from that to 500, so it is only the difference between the actual flight miles and 500-miles that was an artificial bump.

Frankly, there aren't all that many segments that are less than 500-miles, and those that are aren't a whole lot less than 500-miles, so I think it is practically irrelevant.

Besides, if someone made MM on 500-mile segments, they would have flown 2,000 of them. Glad it wasn't me.
They were not BIS. That was the point I made to refute these MM-lite comments. "Practically irrelevant" or not - some folks here have wanted the exact point when they passed 1MM BIS.

Last edited by aacharya; Sep 13, 2013 at 10:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.