Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Thanks for that info. No, I did not think about all of that. I guess people being people, we tend to get angry about what hurts us personally first. Since I'm in good shape upgrade wise w UA, I've had other things to concentrate my anger on with them (mm benies, Rude CS, 1K line (phone and airport). I am not moving to AA only because I don't think they are better for my use. For someone else though they may be perfect. I'm very happy with BA right now and I realize they are partners w UA, But it's PSBL to keep 1K on UA and direct travel to BA as well (I'll be happy to give up the miles on UA for the service)
No problem! Thanks again for what you did. AA works for me out of LAX, the only two TPAC routes they fly are usually the only ones I need! I have to connect at NRT everytime I go with UA. There are some intra-china flights that I take that would be better served if I went to skyteam but DL's program is just not worth the switch to get better service on 2 hour flights on CZ around China.

Originally Posted by rowingman
From F on AA using GoGo (free for the next year as a gift from AA for loyalty). As a former customer of PMUA, I always thought United generally hates their customers and wished they would just go away and stop bothering them, so I find it amusing to see MP members figuring it out and joining AA. I am at least 99% on upgrades over the last five years as EXP. Can anyone from UA say that? From any fare purchased?

Ever since witnessing a SFO gate agent deride a frantic father for creating a scene when UA lost his seven year old daughter with a missed connection, offering no information, I would rather crawl than fly UA.

Welcome to AA, where the staff actually seems to be grateful to help you out and have you as a customer.
Thanks for the welcome! I dipped my toe into the AA world back in March only because UA cut a frequency that they used to have to LAS for some reason and I refused to fly WN so I booked AA and bought up to F even on that short of a flight. I was very impressed with the way their LAX elite line was laid out compared to the cluster that is T6 UA. Just a plain old metal detector in the eilte security screening area ^ Not to mention the flight was on a 738 which looked like new equipment. Real plugs in F, and the seats looked nicer than anything I have flown in while in UA domestic F. Then I found out there were showers at the AC so now I am sold! I never bought a membership to the UC but still got in there for the majority of my flights but I will be sure to get a membership tot he AC prior to my flight next week. I know there are the mad dogs out there but so far I have been able to avoid booking them.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have more than that, even as I understand you have your opinions and your own personal experiences.

A recommendation without applicability, as nowhere have I done what you suggest above.

It may, if only there was any merit in your post's suggestion in your sentence prior to the above one.

Nowhere have I claimed anything about the experiences of "every elite" being monolithic in nature. When false suggestion, as in your post above, is the basis of the entire paragraph above or of a position, that seems to indicate poor position to acknowledge in public what is objective and not. No surprise that there is going to have to be agreement to disagree, when those who doubt objectivity are not interested in objectivity and transparency as much as interested in some sort of defense effort of the status quo.
Wow. You can definitely wordsmith on a plane far higher than my own!

I'll take one part of your post and let's leave it at that: 'No surprise that there is going to have to be agreement to disagree...'
Old May 23, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
There are some intra-china flights that I take that would be better served if I went to skyteam but DL's program is just not worth the switch to get better service on 2 hour flights on CZ around China.
+1 As a *A person this is the one area I end up lacking in flight coverage as well. There are several routes in China served by CZ and MU, which are both ST now versus being able to get a flight on CA/*A. I think the merger of MU and Shanghai causing Shanghai to exit *A was also not helpful. I just can't see myself putting a lot of other flying into an ST airline beyond flights in China where I can't fly CA though. If I do go out of network I think OW is more likely in terms of overall coverge and premium Asian airlines like CX/KA.
Old May 23, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Welcome UEF part deux

No problem! Thanks again for what you did. AA works for me out of LAX, the only two TPAC routes they fly are usually the only ones I need! I have to connect at NRT everytime I go with UA. There are some intra-china flights that I take that would be better served if I went to skyteam but DL's program is just not worth the switch to get better service on 2 hour flights on CZ around China.

Thanks for the welcome! I dipped my toe into the AA world back in March only because UA cut a frequency that they used to have to LAS for some reason and I refused to fly WN so I booked AA and bought up to F even on that short of a flight. I was very impressed with the way their LAX elite line was laid out compared to the cluster that is T6 UA. Just a plain old metal detector in the eilte security screening area ^ Not to mention the flight was on a 738 which looked like new equipment. Real plugs in F, and the seats looked nicer than anything I have flown in while in UA domestic F. Then I found out there were showers at the AC so now I am sold! I never bought a membership to the UC but still got in there for the majority of my flights but I will be sure to get a membership tot he AC prior to my flight next week. I know there are the mad dogs out there but so far I have been able to avoid booking them.
This is likely to draw a rebuke on the UA forum given that it is AA specific, but hey, the water is warmer over here. Mad Dogs are not so bad. In 3F as I type flying over Georgia on a DFW-DCA due to DCA weather. Read up on FEBO in seat selection (another diff from UA). Also, E and F on MD80s have slightly more room than A and B. I will take an AA Mad Dog over any UA flight. Welcome again. Now back to hot towels, warm nuts, and the hot cookies my doctor won't let me eat. Wait until you fly a new Sky Interior 737 on AA.
Old May 23, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Last thought

Should also mention that for the very odd occurrence you don't upgraded as EXP, 21A on the Mad Dog is two side exit row. Very spacious. EXPs get free drinks and snacks, even when seated in Y. Just show your card. I believe another difference from UA. Enjoy.
Old May 23, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by rowingman
From F on AA using GoGo (free for the next year as a gift from AA for loyalty). As a former customer of PMUA, I always thought United generally hates their customers and wished they would just go away and stop bothering them, so I find it amusing to see MP members figuring it out and joining AA. I am at least 99% on upgrades over the last five years as EXP. Can anyone from UA say that? From any fare purchased?

Ever since witnessing a SFO gate agent deride a frantic father for creating a scene when UA lost his seven year old daughter with a missed connection, offering no information, I would rather crawl than fly UA.

Welcome to AA, where the staff actually seems to be grateful to help you out and have you as a customer.

As I said to UNITEDEF, the upgrade argument does not work on me. Your 99%' I'm 29/30 (same thing). You pointing out the GOGO, now that's a reason right there to switch to AA. Please don't get me wrong, I'm as angry at UA as anybody and certainly not making excuses for there behavior since 3/3. There is no excuse. I got the EXPLAT match buT I'm just not ready to give up yet on UA 100%. There are problems with all 3 1/2 legacy carriers and none of them are worth bragging about IMO. For now, I plan to keep my domestic flights w UA, My TPAC w SQ (who I would never make 1K without) and all my travel in/out of Dubai w EK (which is half my travel) Where UA is losing my business is TATL - I'm taking my new EXPLAT AA card and going over to BA (I don't use upgrades on those routes and prefer keeping my business off us carriers. When I fly LH, UA get half. So let AA get half of my BA revenue, as long as I don't have to sit on one of there (or any American carriers planes)
Old May 23, 2012, 5:27 pm

Respect, to quote Ali G, it is why they make different flavors of ice cream

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
As I said to UNITEDEF, the upgrade argument does not work on me. Your 99%' I'm 29/30 (same thing). You pointing out the GOGO, now that's a reason right there to switch to AA. Please don't get me wrong, I'm as angry at UA as anybody and certainly not making excuses for there behavior since 3/3. There is no excuse. I got the EXPLAT match buT I'm just not ready to give up yet on UA 100%. There are problems with all 3 1/2 legacy carriers and none of them are worth bragging about IMO. For now, I plan to keep my domestic flights w UA, My TPAC w SQ (who I would never make 1K without) and all my travel in/out of Dubai w EK (which is half my travel) Where UA is losing my business is TATL - I'm taking my new EXPLAT AA card and going over to BA (I don't use upgrades on those routes and prefer keeping my business off us carriers. When I fly LH, UA get half. So let AA get half of my BA revenue, as long as I don't have to sit on one of there (or any American carriers planes)
BA is decent in J and incredibly cool in F. Give AA a try in J or F (while F lasts) JFK-LHR. AA was years ahead with NGBC, which I find is just fine. It is not lie flat, but it is 180 degrees. 100% of AA TATL has it. Is UA there yet with its new J? Honest question, I don't know the answer given my UA aversion.

AA's new 777W starts February JFK-LHR. New F and J product. AA PJs are decent in AA TATL F, as is the mattress cover and turn down service.
Old May 23, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by c502cid
I suppose. So you think unhappy employees wont be a re-do of UA employees of 4 years ago? Where does this all go, I think I've seen this movie before.

Roll your eyes all you want, but this isn't greener grass, it's called a honeymoon.
Yup. Wait till US Air gets their hands on AA. And people thought things were bad at COdbaUA. The ain't seen nothing yet. USdbaAA :
Old May 23, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
+1 As a *A person this is the one area I end up lacking in flight coverage as well. There are several routes in China served by CZ and MU, which are both ST now versus being able to get a flight on CA/*A. I think the merger of MU and Shanghai causing Shanghai to exit *A was also not helpful. I just can't see myself putting a lot of other flying into an ST airline beyond flights in China where I can't fly CA though. If I do go out of network I think OW is more likely in terms of overall coverge and premium Asian airlines like CX/KA.
Actually BR will join *A and that offers a great alternative for intra-Asia and US-Asia flights. They are also upgrading their TPAC fleets with lie flat BC seats that put UA's to shame.
Old May 23, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Actually BR will join *A and that offers a great alternative for intra-Asia and US-Asia flights. They are also upgrading their TPAC fleets with lie flat BC seats that put UA's to shame.
BR will be nice, but it was the lack of intra-China flights beyond CA I was mostly referring to. They get outnumbered on China domestics with both MU and CZ being in ST, and with Shanghai leaving *A during the merger with MU.
Old May 23, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by majortom
My last minute fares are rarely Y/B or even M. I almost never purchase more than a day in advance - often buy on the way to the airport (well, I used to do that, with the magic that is SHARES, that is a big risk now). Given the ToDs sales, I think I have had 1 upgrade in my last 10 flights, so no, I do not like the changes.
That's a significant problem. The new UA system is predicated on the notion that last-minute business-fare buyers are forced to buy very expensive Y/B fares and because of this will get the accompanying benefits. I also think the F holdback routines are tuned for business markets and don't work well for leisure markets.

I am not a fan of UDU (never was), and think their new priorities make loyalty meaningless.
Though not literally true, it definitely is correct in direction. If you're the right class of customer (price insensitive), they will try to buy your loyalty. If not, they will take it but will try not to "overpay" for it.

Their new system reminds me of why I hated Ted (and despite having a house in Orlando, frequent conferences in Las Vegas and living in LA never flew it).
As someone who books last minute with load factors as high as they are, upgrades matter to me in one of two ways: either I get one, or someone in an E+ seat gets one and I can get their old E+ seat. Given that Ted had no First Class there were no upgrades that meant that the full E+ seats remained full. United's current system ensures that there are no E+ seats (cheap sales in advance and at the kiosk) and that there are no upgrades (again, usually sold-out thanks to ToDs) for me or to free and E+ seat.
If E+ is indeed selling out in this way, they should be expanding their E+ sections to make more money. The problems would come if you're flying on routes where E+ is very popular vs other routes where E+ is less popular. They won't expand the section because it will cause that equipment to be less profitable on the other segments it flies.

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Good points. UA does have the actual numbers, while we don't—it would be interesting to see what those "higher percentages" are that UA Insider referenced as a counterpoint to majortom's experiences.

Below is Shannon's quote, bolding mine:
What could be happening is that Golds, Plats and 1Ks are getting E+ aisles while the silvers are either getting E+ middles or staying in their E- aisles. For Shannon's statement to be literally true the former would have to happen in order for all the statements to be true and consistent.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 23, 2012 at 11:33 pm Reason: merge
Old May 23, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Yeah that rumor has been around a few years now. It does nothing for intra-china flights. All of their mainland destinations are covered. Their only contribution is the LAX - TPE direct. Back in the day my dad flew them on a revenue ticket in C once and they donwgraded him into Y without compensation. When my dad asked about any other type of accommodation for his inconvenience their answer was sorry if you don't like it you don't have to fly . I am sure he could have got a partial refund but it wasn't worth his time. Not impressed.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:18 pm

CFO Rainey,

I thought I'd post up with my small beans, chump change story relative to most others on FT. I've been 2P since 2003/2004. My wife has been 2P on and off most of that time as well. We have not been on anything other than United since around 1997, IIRC.

The E-+ seating lottery for 2Ps has lost your guaranteed business of ours in favor of anything more direct and less expensive. I'm sure leisure elites like ourselves aren't a great profit maker on paper, but I'm sure we subsidize those otherwise empty seats and fuel costs that help keep you in business.

For the first time in 15 years, my wife stepped onto other metal, Southwest, on a recent trip BOI-PHX. She always asked me why take United with stops and longer travel time. I have no answer for her any longer...
"You're out.℠"

boiflyer
Old May 23, 2012, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by star_world
Why have you chosen to interpret his comments as referring to you specifically? We seem to be over-run here with people (from Silvers to 1K / GS) jumping at the chance to say that the comments MUST apply to them, and then are suitably outraged. I just don't get the mentality.

After reading your long letter I can only conclude that your complaint (besides wanting him to take back his comment about "you") is that as a Silver elite you can't reserve E+ seats in advance, after a letter that focuses exclusively on your purchasing F / C fares. Is this it?

Less really is more when trying to make a point to executives.
Isn't it interesting that everyone seems to think these remarks are directed at them. Contrary to your take, I think this shows how personal these remarks are being construed and the depth of the damage they have caused.

[bolding mine]
Old May 23, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
A friend sent me this earlier today....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.