Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I understand you have your opinions and your own personal experiences.
I have more than that, even as I understand you have your opinions and your own personal experiences.

Please do not try and tell others that your experience is universal and that everyone should be dissatisfied with UA because of your personal experience.
A recommendation without applicability, as nowhere have I done what you suggest above.

That does a disservice to anyone who may read (and give any credibility to) your opinion.
It may, if only there was any merit in your post's suggestion in your sentence prior to the above one.

How can you in any way, shape, or form say that your comments are 'objective'? I would need some more background from you and understanding of how you believe you are in a position to make objective statements about what 'every elite' is experiencing on United since the merger.
Nowhere have I claimed anything about the experiences of "every elite" being monolithic in nature. When false suggestion, as in your post above, is the basis of the entire paragraph above or of a position, that seems to indicate poor position to acknowledge in public what is objective and not. No surprise that there is going to have to be agreement to disagree, when those who doubt objectivity are not interested in objectivity and transparency as much as interested in some sort of defense effort of the status quo.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 23, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Old May 23, 2012, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Again, last time I visited there was no split at IAD. I stand in the long line with the 2Ps. Of course I try to avoid, but not always possible.
There is actually a slight split at IAD (and has been for several months TMK). The entrance to the 1K and 1P/2P lines is served by a single line matron and are immediately adjacent to each other; 1K/C/domestic F to the right, 1P/2P to the left (I don't recall seeing signage as to Plats--I assume with 1Ks). No-status pax get sent all the way down to the left IIRC.

Granted, the two lines mostly feed into the same set of counters, though they have been labeling the rightmost ones (just to the left of the "Special Services" counter and beyond that the GS/Int'l F counters) as "1K/Business" via the lighted signs over the counters. I don't think anyone or anything stops pax from the 2P/1P line from walking the couple of extra steps to those 1K/C counters, but presumably their lines may be longer to get there than the 1K one.
Old May 23, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by exerda
And I wouldn't have a problem with that--hey, if they want to offer discounted F (or Y/B/M) fares at the last minute, fine and dandy--if the buy-ups were offered consistently to elites..
I haven't yet figured this out, but I am more and MORE certain that there is a REASON they are not offered to elites.

And, that reason isn't a "glitch". Something is "missing" in UAI's posts on the topic. It is never addressed directly and always just seems a bit too cagey for my tastes.

Maybe it's just the paranoia being brought on as an overentitled UA elite. Gosh, I hope that won't have an impact on my experience at the other AAirline.

Dave
Old May 23, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 2P, PassPlus Flex, LAX Customer of the Year for 2006, UAL Shareholder
Am I "Over-Entitled"

I had to get it off my chest and send a letter to Mr. Rainey. Here is a link to that letter:

http://keepingtheskiesfriendly.blogspot.com

It will probably just meets its end in a shredder, but I do hope Mr. Rainey has been overwhelmed by letters from us "over-entitled."
Old May 23, 2012, 2:57 pm

Location: Sandpoint,Idaho- previously- Colorado, NYC, New England, SC
Programs: United Millionmiler 1/Star Alliance Gold, National Emerald Executive for Life, Best Western Platinum
Originally Posted by andersjt
I had to get it off my chest and send a letter to Mr. Rainey. Here is a link to that letter:

It will probably just meets its end in a shredder, but I do hope Mr. Rainey has been overwhelmed by letters from us "over-entitled."
Wonderful, poignant, polite ,logical REAL letter from another longtermloyal PMUA flier.....
Old May 23, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM

Wow: just read the blog. Amazing, thoughtful...^^
Old May 23, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I don't buy that upgrades are THAT much easier on AA.
First I wanted to say thanks for your cancellation of UA tickets. The response you posted from UA was very informative and yes I got that part about them calling you back past your scheduled time and that you were up late. Didn't think anything of it as I thought it was par for the course for UA management. Just curious though do you know how upgrades work on AA? As a newly minted EXP I am ecstatic as to how their program works. In case you don't know, basically EXP is top tier unlike 1k with GS above us. As EXP you get the CPU equivalent on every flight. The 1P and 2P equivalents aren't automatically upgraded unless they request it because they have to have 500 mile stickers like UA in the old days. So as an EXP you have a better shot at getting upgraded even if you buy your ticket after your upgrade window and within the GLD or PLT upgrade window and because not every GLD or PLAT is going to upgrade on your flight since they are limited in the number of stickers they receive. Unless they want to buy extra stickers they are limited to 2,000 upgraded miles for every 10,000 flown or 20% of all their flights. On top of that their F cabin on their domestic mainline are at least 16 seats compared with 8 on the 319, 12 on the 320 and their CR7's have 9 instead of 6 seats. Plus I have read somewhere on the AA forum that sometimes their CSR's would reroute them to make sure their upgrades clear assuming the passenger is willing to go through the trouble. I think the odds of getting an upgrade are much easier on AA than UA. Will let you know when I take my first flight as EXP next week!
Old May 23, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA1K

amazingly written letter...sadly, i feel UA will do nothing.
Old May 23, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Great letter, if he is smart he will pick up the phone and call you to discuss.
Old May 23, 2012, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat

Why have you chosen to interpret his comments as referring to you specifically? We seem to be over-run here with people (from Silvers to 1K / GS) jumping at the chance to say that the comments MUST apply to them, and then are suitably outraged. I just don't get the mentality.

After reading your long letter I can only conclude that your complaint (besides wanting him to take back his comment about "you") is that as a Silver elite you can't reserve E+ seats in advance, after a letter that focuses exclusively on your purchasing F / C fares. Is this it?

Less really is more when trying to make a point to executives.
Old May 23, 2012, 3:49 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Back in the 'good old days', Larry Kellner would have picked up the phone and called him right away. There are many, many ex-CONS here that received those calls, including myself.

But that was then and this is now.
Old May 23, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold

Really thoughtful letter.
Old May 23, 2012, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Really thoughtful letter.
I agree, well done.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
First I wanted to say thanks for your cancellation of UA tickets. The response you posted from UA was very informative and yes I got that part about them calling you back past your scheduled time and that you were up late. Didn't think anything of it as I thought it was par for the course for UA management. Just curious though do you know how upgrades work on AA? As a newly minted EXP I am ecstatic as to how their program works. In case you don't know, basically EXP is top tier unlike 1k with GS above us. As EXP you get the CPU equivalent on every flight. The 1P and 2P equivalents aren't automatically upgraded unless they request it because they have to have 500 mile stickers like UA in the old days. So as an EXP you have a better shot at getting upgraded even if you buy your ticket after your upgrade window and within the GLD or PLT upgrade window and because not every GLD or PLAT is going to upgrade on your flight since they are limited in the number of stickers they receive. Unless they want to buy extra stickers they are limited to 2,000 upgraded miles for every 10,000 flown or 20% of all their flights. On top of that their F cabin on their domestic mainline are at least 16 seats compared with 8 on the 319, 12 on the 320 and their CR7's have 9 instead of 6 seats. Plus I have read somewhere on the AA forum that sometimes their CSR's would reroute them to make sure their upgrades clear assuming the passenger is willing to go through the trouble. I think the odds of getting an upgrade are much easier on AA than UA. Will let you know when I take my first flight as EXP next week!
Thanks for that info. No, I did not think about all of that. I guess people being people, we tend to get angry about what hurts us personally first. Since I'm in good shape upgrade wise w UA, I've had other things to concentrate my anger on with them (mm benies, Rude CS, 1K line (phone and airport). I am not moving to AA only because I don't think they are better for my use. For someone else though they may be perfect. I'm very happy with BA right now and I realize they are partners w UA, But it's PSBL to keep 1K on UA and direct travel to BA as well (I'll be happy to give up the miles on UA for the service)
Old May 23, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Welcome to AA United EF

Originally Posted by UnitedEF
From F on AA using GoGo (free for the next year as a gift from AA for loyalty). As a former customer of PMUA, I always thought United generally hates their customers and wished they would just go away and stop bothering them, so I find it amusing to see MP members figuring it out and joining AA. I am at least 99% on upgrades over the last five years as EXP. Can anyone from UA say that? From any fare purchased?

Ever since witnessing a SFO gate agent deride a frantic father for creating a scene when UA lost his seven year old daughter with a missed connection, offering no information, I would rather crawl than fly UA.

Welcome to AA, where the staff actually seems to be grateful to help you out and have you as a customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.