Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

Be careful what you wish for, a new regime could just as easily be worse for elites...
For 1Ks and GS, hard to imagine anyone could make things WORSE?

$smi$ek and Amigos will be gone after 2 more Q of bad figures. They'll be in Chapter 11 otherwsie.

Hopefully they'll then hire someone who can untie the knots these clowns have made.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ozstamps
For 1Ks and GS, hard to imagine anyone could make things WORSE?

$smi$ek and Amigos will be gone after 2 more Q of bad figures. They'll be in Chapter 11 otherwsie.

Hopefully they'll then hire someone who can untie the knots these clowns have made.
Not to fan the flames here, but isn't that what many were saying about Tilton, even though a number of us (including Channa, notably) tried to warn you repeatedly about the PMCO "system?"
Old May 23, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by njcommodore
The game has changed. The loyalty programs of the 90s are GONE.

The game has never changed, the airlines are just still figuring out how to play it, and they have a long way to go. CO has zero idea how to play the full service international airline role, and that is showing right now. They may or may not figure it out, who knows.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
under reported fact that there ARE Elites from AA and DL switching to UA,
What? There is a trickle compared to those going the other direction. I actually don't know any personally, and i know of a .... ton of folks who are neither FTer's or 1K's who are in mass exodus because not just the FF program has cratered, but so has the airline in general.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:35 am

After reviewing the presentation again, and thinking about the changes over the past 12 months, I am 100% certain that Mr. Rainey was not referring to 1K's with his statement.

2P's (primarily), and 1P's (to a lesser extent) have borne the brunt of the changes.
Sorry to disagree, but it is the million-milers (BIS) that took the biggest hit from the new UA management.

Take a look at the million-mile thread in the UA forum if you want confirmation.

BIS million-milers flew UA equivalent to about forty times around the world. Star alliance partners did not count for the original million-milers of UA. In other words, all flights had to be on UA aircraft in order for a customer to be a million-miler on the PMUA program.

What did the million-milers get from the new UA management for their promised "lifetime" benefits, for their loyalty, time and money spent?

They got severe demotions to those promised "lifetime" benefits.

Moreover, they were furnished with canned and/or false statements from the new UA management (or staff) when inquiries were made concerning the breached promised "lifetime" benefits.

While all MP members took a hit, the million-milers, who relied on promised "lifetime" benefits, were thrown under the tracks, so to speak, by the new UA management.
-
Old May 23, 2012, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

After reviewing the presentation again, and thinking about the changes over the past 12 months, I am 100% certain that Mr. Rainey was not referring to 1K's with his statement.
Well, since 1K's don't "cost" UA as much in perks as do golds and silvers, we'll have to agree to disagree. And as far as bearing the brunt of changes, did UA have a dedicated Silver call line they junked? Dedicated Silver boarding and check in lines? Did Silvers lose meal choice preference? UA moved 1K more towards Silver than they moved Silver towards 1K.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM Hyatt Globalist (Lifetime) AA ExPlat (real), Lifetime UniClub (not from the 2MM).
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Didn't UA close the red carpet after the initial 1K/GS/F boarding? CO left the blue carpet open during all of boarding, allowing elites to board whenever we chose. I'll take 10-15 more minutes in the club over being forced to get there early.
Nope. It was only used for 1K/GS/F passengers, so it was always clear anytime after. That meant that I could walk up at any point without having to wait. Now all "elites" use the blue carpet, which means it there is no clear boarding lane (as there are always enough Silver/Gold/Platinum using the blue carpet, and GM/Kettles using the other side that neither is free).
Old May 23, 2012, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by desperationsearch
Worse for Elites???

What could they do?

Promise us upgrades and not deliver? Wait, they've done that.
Not credit mileage correctly? Wait, they've done that.
Make it excruciating to deal with an irrops change? Wait, they've done that.
Get the employees so mad that they hate their jobs and us? Wait, they've done that.
Lose our reservations? Wait, they've done that.
Lie to us? Wait, they've done that.
Tell us every broken promise is a "glitch" that will take over a year to fix? Wait, they've done that.
Belittle us as over-entitled? Wait, they've done that.
Remove our access to dedicated, excellent phone agents? Wait, they've done that.
Use bait and switch tactics? Wait, they've done that.
Sell the benefits they've promised us to any once-a-year flyer with an few extra $20s? Wait, they've done that.

Short of strap us to the outside of the plane I doubt there is more a worse regeime could do. And, frankly, I doubt one could find a worse regeime. Would Lorenzo take over again?
Global Entry for free?
Channel 9?
Extending E+ fleet wide? (If they only made this one change, that would be enough for me to dedicate the majority of my flying to UA.)
Continuing many of the other elite friendly policies (flexibility with award miles for example)?
New service to places I want to travel?
Unmatched route network, getting better and better?
In flight wifi starting in August? (I concede, they are late to the game here)
Improved boarding process?
100% success rate with upgrades to F? (yes, my experience only)
The 787? (Maybe I am a geek, but this does get me excited)

Last edited by LarkSFO; May 23, 2012 at 8:47 am
Old May 23, 2012, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Not to fan the flames here, but isn't that what many were saying about Tilton,
I do find this irony hilarious. When I started seeing "Tilton was alright" type post, I laughed, literally.

FWIW, UA has been on the down since Tilton, it's just gotten worse. I hopped ship 3 years ago over his crap.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Sorry to disagree, but it is the million-milers (BIS) that took the biggest hit from the new UA management.

Take a look at the million-mile thread in the UA forum if you want confirmation.

BIS million-milers flew UA equivalent to about forty times around the world. Star alliance partners did not count for the original million-milers of UA. In other words, all flights had to be on UA aircraft in order for a customer to be a million-miler on the PMUA program.

What did the million-milers get from the new UA management for their promised "lifetime" benefits, for their loyalty, time and money spent?

They got severe demotions to those promised "lifetime" benefits.

Moreover, they were furnished with canned and/or false statements from the new UA management (or staff) when inquiries were made concerning the breached promised "lifetime" benefits.

While all MP members took a hit, the million-milers, who relied on promised "lifetime" benefits, were thrown under the tracks, so to speak, by the new UA management.
-
OK, I'll go read that thread.

I thought that MM'ers just lost the two annual CPU's, but I will go learn more.

(And, yes, I will concede that as UA reviewed the numbers they probably determined that they were being overly generous to MM'ers in return for the amount of value the airline receives from this segment, just like they were being overly generous to 2P's and 1P's...)
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
... the under reported fact that there ARE Elites from AA and DL switching to UA
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
What? There is a trickle compared to those going the other direction. I actually don't know any personally, and i know of a .... ton of folks who are neither FTer's or 1K's who are in mass exodus because not just the FF program has cratered, but so has the airline in general.
+1
Perhaps chinatraderjmr means status matching which is quite different than "switching".
I recently was "Status Matched" but to Platinum after UA claimed that my EXP was the equivalent to PP.
We flew one roundtrip SFO-DEN on UA. And even though we are moving to DEN at the end of the month, I have no intention of flying UA to/from DEN again any time soon. Indeed, I booked our SFO-DEN flight next week on F9.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
I do find this irony hilarious. When I started seeing "Tilton was alright" type post, I laughed, literally.

FWIW, UA has been on the down since Tilton, it's just gotten worse. I hopped ship 3 years ago over his crap.
I hate to be such a contrarian, but I think UA was actually improving tangibly under Tilton.

Despite the fact that PMCO had such a stellar reputation, they had been largely coasting on the considerable goodwill generated in the Gordon Bethune days.

With a few notable exceptions, virtually everything Bethune's successors have done diminished the product at PMCO, while under Tilton, the PMUA product tangibly improved.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; May 23, 2012 at 8:53 am
Old May 23, 2012, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Global Entry for free?
Channel 9?
Extending E+ fleet wide? (If they only made this one change, that would be enough for me to dedicate the majoruty of my flying to UA.)
Continuing many of the other elite friendly policies (flexibility with award miles for example)?
GE - ^
CH9 - given how it is increasingly turned off, no real improvement
E+ - ^
More elite unfriendly changes than friendly changes
There isn't a single place I want to go that the competition doesn't have options
When W-Fi is actually on board, they get a ^
You really regard fixing a boarding process they initially broke on their own accord something positive????
My UG rate is worse than it was pre-merger
I won't be riding anybody's 787 in steerage if they install 17 inch seats.

YMMV.

Last edited by halls120; May 23, 2012 at 8:58 am
Old May 23, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
Perhaps chinatraderjmr means status matching which is quite different than "switching".
I recently was "Status Matched" but to Platinum after UA claimed that my EXP was the equivalent to PP.
We flew one roundtrip SFO-DEN on UA. And even though we are moving to DEN at the end of the month, I have no intention of flying UA to/from DEN again any time soon. Indeed, I booked our SFO-DEN flight next week on F9.
DEN777: ()

When your spite for a company damages your own self interests, then I think you are taking it too far...

Take a breather, let things settle down. Depending upon your travel patterns, UA will probably be your best DEN option, and it will only get better over the next couple of years.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:52 am

Global Entry for free?
Channel 9?
Extending E+ fleet wide? (If they only made this one change, that would be enough for me to dedicate the majoruty of my flying to UA.)
The topic was what could be worse, but OK, I'll bite:

Global Entry for free? - Doesn't help domestic Transcon travelers
Channel 9? - spotty availability - can't rememebr the last plane I flew where it was announced - none this year
Extending E+ fleet wide? So are the other carriers - perhaps late to the game as you say but not a differentaitor
Continuing many of the other elite friendly policies [such as awards] ? Have you tried booking a trip for a family of four, one paid, three award. Find three award seats anywhere. Find a time when award seats are available when the paid fare isn't double the norm. Try finding standard 1st availability for three on transcon or east to Hawaii. Try getting your family into e+ with you when they're on an award and yours is a paid 1K supposedly entitled to that benefit.
New service to places I want to travel? Show me an airport only served by COdbaUA. Not a differentaitor
Unmatched route network, getting better and better? Same as above
In flight wifi starting in August? I'll believe it when I see it.
Improved boarding process? In who's delusional mind?
100% success rate with upgrades to F? On what routes?
The 787? With COdbaUA's sardine can interior design?
Old May 23, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM Hyatt Globalist (Lifetime) AA ExPlat (real), Lifetime UniClub (not from the 2MM).
Originally Posted by pdx1M
The thing I don't get with the UA benefit reductions for 1Ks is that most of them are not monetary.
I agree completely. What is funny is that for all intents and purposes they have made Premier Platinum equivalent to 1K for most people.
  1. No fees to standby.
  2. No Same Day Changes Fees
  3. No phone booking fees.
  4. No close in award booking fees.
  5. Free mileage recredit.

Given how badly they have devalued GPUs, the only 1K-exclusive benefit left is not worth that much.

Last edited by majortom; May 23, 2012 at 10:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.