Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:24 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Haven't flown anything but TG C, and it was medium haul, not TPAC, but I for one was underwhelmed by the experience. Perhaps my expectations were too high after posts like chitownflyer and others, but the hard product with lie flat on UA is quite a bit better.

The one and only segment in C on Asiana was a step up, but still hard product not as good as UA lie flat seats.

EmailKid
Have you ever flown LH or SQ F? Their new F & C product seats are amazing, and even their older F or C seats are good. What differentiates them is their amenites on the plane( caviar, fine champagne, 5 course meals), and on the ground( Frankfurt Lufthansa First Class Terminal).
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
You mean just like Smisek is doing now, right?
Interesting thought...now that you mention it...you might just be right about that...I was actually thinking about Rainey
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
You mean just like Smisek is doing now, right?
Not my point at all...? $misek went way too far in forcing the PMCO culture on PMUA, and now looks very tone-deaf to the needs of PMUA elites.

I don't *think* Parker will be that short-sighted.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not my point at all...? $misek went way too far in forcing the PMCO culture on PMUA, and now looks very tone-deaf to the needs of PMUA elites.

If US takes over AA, then we will find out, won't we?

Time will tell if Smisek went too far or not. Despite your incessant complaining (), you are still here, right?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Smisek took a page out of Parker's playbook from the US-HP merger. Not only did Parker force the HP culture on US East employees and elites, he went ahead and ripped all of the closets (and between 4-10 seats) out of F on the A321's and the A320's. And eventually he started charging all elites for "choice seats" (with no extra legroom) in the front section of coach.

For those of you who think that Parker knows how to execute a merger and run an airline in a customer-friendly way, just go onto the US forum and do a search for "Shares," "closets," and "choice seats," and you'll see how great an airline US is. Shortly after the merger, Doug Parker was quoted in the press as saying something along the lines of "If there is one group of customers we can charge high fees to, it's Chairman's Preferred's." It's just a different way of referring to US's best customers as "over entitled."

If the US forum seems like a safe haven of tranquility right now, it's probably because the remaining US elites have been beaten into submission.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
If the US forum seems like a safe haven of tranquility right now, it's probably because the remaining US elites have been beaten into submission.
Just as we are.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SS255

Shortly after the merger, Doug Parker was quoted in the press as saying something along the lines of "If there is one group of customers we can charge high fees to, it's Chairman's Preferred's." It's just a different way of referring to US's best customers as "over entitled."
Well US Air has hardly become the leading domestic carrier as a result.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
Have you ever flown LH or SQ F? Their new F & C product seats are amazing, and even their older F or C seats are good. What differentiates them is their amenites on the plane( caviar, fine champagne, 5 course meals), and on the ground( Frankfurt Lufthansa First Class Terminal).
I can't comment on SQ but I would disagree with your evaluation of the old C seats on LH. And old is far more relevant than new as LH has barely rolled out the new C (zero planes that fly here to SFO). They are horrific angled seats that cause you to slowly slide off when fully reclined. The IFE is also mediocre compared with UA's international business class. The food in C is nothing special, either and did not find the service to be better than UA (if anything it is worse because they take 3 hours to serve a meal, and sometimes an hour just to get drinks out). F is really not relevant - most businesses won't pay for F if C is offered and most non-US airlines don't fill their F cabin with upgraders and mileage users.

No question DL, UA and AA lounges are mediocre compared with non-US carriers, but among the US carriers there is no clear winner.

Yes, it would be nice if UA treated all its C/F customers like SQ but apparently UA is willing to cede the paid C/F to SQ and its ilk and simply fill its cabins with upgraders or those flying on negotiated corp fares.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
Does anyone else feel over entitled?

Greetings!

I have been following this forum for several months and have been very impressed by the useful information supplied by the regular posters. Thanks for the education as well as the entertainment.

In reading the posts I have come to the conclusion that I am an over entitled infrequent flyer. Some background info:

UA customer for 25 years
BIS of 930k at 12/31/11
Lifetime Mileage of 1MM after conversion on 1/1/12
Still below 1MM BIS today and will probably not reach that level for several years.
Estimated lifetime revenue to UA of $100,000 - nearly all flights international "last class"
Mrs. OverEntitled receives MM companion benefit with lifetime BIS of only 30k
Only paid travel is once a year trip to Africa with CPU for domestic portion
Usually take 1 award trip per year with Mrs. overEntitled using credit card miles

I can't see how I've earned *Gold status for life. Consequently, I'm very grateful for what I've received and completely sympathize with those on this forum who feel that their elite status has been devalued by including the likes of me. Last year I was upgraded to Business Class on a flight from Europe to Africa because I was * Gold even though I was on a K fare. I didn't ask for it, they just gave it to me when I went to the * Alliance lounge.

Many thanks to United Airlines and all their dedicated employees for the great service and many kindnesses to me over the years. As you can see, I didn't deserve them. Yes there have been a few problems but these were the exception, not the rule.

And in the spirit of the season, I wish you all a Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by overEntitled
Greetings!

I can't see how I've earned *Gold status for life. Consequently, I'm very grateful for what I've received and completely sympathize with those on this forum who feel that their elite status has been devalued by including the likes of me. Last year I was upgraded to Business Class on a flight from Europe to Africa because I was * Gold even though I was on a K fare. I didn't ask for it, they just gave it to me when I went to the * Alliance lounge.

And in the spirit of the season, I wish you all a Merry Christmas!
Hey,
I can totally understand how you feel. Next time, if your wife and you get
upgraded, simply give your seats to other people in Y and you will feel much
better. I wish you a Merry Christmas!!!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by overEntitled
UA customer for 25 years
BIS of 930k at 12/31/11
Lifetime Mileage of 1MM after conversion on 1/1/12
Huh, well, in about the same amount of time, I have barely more than 500,000 lifetime miles. So I'd say that if I *had* traveled 1 million miles in that time, I would feel like I'd have traveled way too much in the last quarter century, and stayed way too loyal to UA, and so therefore, I would feel perfectly entitled to *G benefits.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:32 am

Speaking of being "over entitled"

-
The article is a little dated but it is still in effect:

After reading the article/SEC filing, it becomes very clear who the "over entitled" person is:

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/120417/ual8-k.html
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Mar 12, 2013 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
-
The article is a little dated but it is still in affect:

After reading the article/SEC filing, it becomes very clear who the "over entitled" person is:

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/120417/ual8-k.html
-
^
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Continental Common Sense...

I remember in the 90s, CO was such a turn-around story. Bethune basically stuck to the simple principles of having reliable and clean planes and keeping their business passengers happy. It seemed to work and CO was successful.

What went wrong with the merger? Did they just lose the common sense? Or, the UA crowd is simply too hard to please? Or, the common sense sort of went away with Bethune?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by username
I remember in the 90s, CO was such a turn-around story. Bethune basically stuck to the simple principles of having reliable and clean planes and keeping their business passengers happy. It seemed to work and CO was successful.

What went wrong with the merger? Did they just lose the common sense? Or, the UA crowd is simply too hard to please? Or, the common sense sort of went away with Bethune?
The common sense went away when the BoD fired Larry K for declining to pursue a merger. Bethune was an aviator and a leader - today's airline executives (including ours) are neither.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.