Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PushingTin
It's like my third time with this visa.. and its a 5 year visa....
Doesn't matter - UA don't seem to track Visas. Despite having a multi-year US visa I can never check-in online for flights into the US, even though I've already used my current visa 10+ times.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:17 pm

Identical situation ... going to Brazil with US Passport. Passport info comes up correctly during OLCI, but can't checkin on domestic leg due to visa verification for international flight

But the error message is far from helpful. "Please review the corresponding information documents ..."

Originally Posted by PushingTin
What kind of hacks me off is that I can't check in for my CONUS flight because of the TATL.

Last edited by malgudi; Apr 24, 2015 at 2:23 pm
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
This is not a boarding pass.....

I cannot do OLCI for my flight from DCA to SCL via IAH tomorrow. I get the "this is not a boarding pass", message. My passport and trusted traveler information are coded in my profile and also in my reservation. Not a big deal but I know I can do OLCI on some other carriers when flying to a non visa country.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Orion
....My passport and trusted traveler information are coded in my profile and also in my reservation. .....
When was the last time was you passport checked by an UA agent. If it has not been recent, you will get this message.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:09 am

My passport is always checked by an agent. I have never been able to check in online for international travel on UA. Even the kiosk says, "See agent".
Old May 7, 2015, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When was the last time was you passport checked by an UA agent. If it has not been recent, you will get this message.
Irrelevant for countries with Visa / reciprocal entry fee requirements @:-)

Was able to checkin for both PMCO and PMUA until my flight to PEK.

Then all of sudden, TWO years of NO online checkin for int'l

Then, out of the blue, able to checkin online again.

Same name, same passport, same stupid UA
Old May 8, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
My experience on resolving a TINABP from UA to SK, excerpted from my post at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lications.html

Essentially, the lesson learned in March was don't OLCI on UA until SK -22 h. Someone was able to print a usable SK BP at UA Ithaca but I couldn't even get UA EWR or even SK EWR to do it!

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Outbound LAX-EWR-OSL-CPH:

Part 1 (at home)
1a. OLCI UA @ -24 h. Got 2 PDF BPs (LAX-EWR-OSL) + 1 TINABP (OSL-CPH).
1b. TINABP wording has changed since my last complaint. Now it says, "Your connecting BPs cannot be processed online or at an airport kiosk." and "Please proceed directly to the UA ticket counter at your originating airport to obtain your BPs and check any baggage that you may have." (Abbreviations mine.) My 2014 complaint was "Agent tried kiosks anyway and won't do more." and "LAX kept denying it was their duty and sent me to the next point."
1c. At SK -22 h, got my OSL-CPH seat. OLCI denied due to not starting with SK.

Part 2 (LAX check-in)
2b. So I went on to claim my "entitlement" as directed by the TINABP. Air Serv agent punched a few keys and said there was a "security check" so I couldn't get the BP there.
2c. Got elevated to UA agent, who really tried but couldn't get it to print.
2d. Got elevated to UA supervisor, who punched a few more keys. I re-explained the TINABP wording change between 2014 and 2015. She couldn't give me a reason, but suspected that it was because I checked in too early (way before SK -24 h). The only way to confirm was to uncheck me on all 3 segments, which we both agree was too risky (losing seats).

Part 3 (during the trip)
3a. At LAX CS desk post-TSA, still couldn't print. (This was SK -19 h.)
3b. At EWR CS desk (it was now SK -12 h), still couldn't print.
3c. C-to-B bus denied. Went outside security to Terminal B SK counter. They looked up my SK PNR. Still couldn't print! (This wasn't SHARES any more!)

Part 4 (OSL)
4a. After Schengen passport control, security barely let me through with the TINABP and bag tag.
4b. After security, I was totally lost and couldn't find SK CS desk. First thing I eventually saw was SK Lounge. I clarified I wasn't seeking admission, just needed a BP. They weren't busy, so they did it for me. Finally a BP!

Part 5 (CPH)
5a. Belt stopped and no bag! In the SAS bag office queue I found out everyone reporting lost bags was from UA EWR-OSL. The bags later turned out when the next SK OSL-CPH arrived.
5b. During the queue I talked to a fellow UA pax and saw her thermal UA kiosk-printed SK OSL-CPH BP printed in ITH! Sounds like the LAX supervisor (2d) was right! Somewhere between UA and SK's computer systems, OLCI at UA would cause a "freeze" (a TINABP not even SK EWR could solve) that you can't print until at SK origin.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:34 am

When I checked in at DCA on Friday for my trip to SCL I waited at the kiosk for thirty minutes for the next available agent. There was only one working the kiosks and the line at the counter was very long. It took about a minute for her to verify my information. Then my boarding passes printed.
For my return from SCL I checked in at a kiosk with no problem.
Old May 9, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: Dulles Airport Traveler's Aid Volunteer, hopefully future United IK member
Does anyone know if UA is the only airline where you can't check in online due to agent need to see documents? It is not me of course but the family and family friends I have helped check in online at home, all got boarding passes. They are all International Airlines( Brussels, British, Lufthansa, Emirates). They still had their documents checked at the counter.

It is beyond idiotic for that rule to exist. The whole benefit of getting checked in online is to limit the time spent at the Check in area. Unless you are flying International late at night or early afternoon at IAD, the check in counters at IAD for International are completely backed up. I am not sure about the Domestic side but would imagine the same. If that will happen to me in the near future, I will just arrive before the huge wave. I love being super early for flights. I would rather relax on the concourses than rushing through security and to the gates. It makes the whole trip go on a bad note.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:29 am

Three travelers on PNR - International returning to US. During automatic OLCI boarding passes for two pax are generated but the 3rd gets the TINABP email -

This is not a boarding pass. You are checked-in, but we are unable to provide any boarding passes for your itinerary via united.com.
I tried to reprint this morning with united.com but got the same email. Passport was scanned with the United app less than two weeks ago and worked for the outbound leg of the itin.

How much extra time is needed at the airport when this happens?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by skiflyer
Three travelers on PNR - International returning to US. During automatic OLCI boarding passes for two pax are generated but the 3rd gets the TINABP email -

(no online checkin for you, proceed to airport)

I tried to reprint this morning with united.com but got the same email. Passport was scanned with the United app less than two weeks ago and worked for the outbound leg of the itin.

How much extra time is needed at the airport when this happens?
Typical UA

And no, once you get "go to airport", you're done. I've tried via app, mobile site, even at airport kiosk at AA terminal in DFW, and it was a no go until I saw an agent

Had a flight to Austria, so obviously no OLCI for UA flight to IAD. Why:

U.S. citizens do not need an entry permit (visa) to stay in Austria as either tourists or on a business trip for a period of up to three months but please note: as a passport must be valid 3 months after the last day of stay in Austria or the Schengen states, your U.S. passport must be valid for a period of at least 6 months (3 months under the visa waiver program + 3 months) and you are not allowed to take up any employment there.
Austria is part of Schengen countries, so I could go practically anywhere in Europe and proceed to Austria for more than 90 days, which is what UA employee at DFW claimed was the reason I could not do OLCI

Now back to question how much earlier to get to airport without OLCI:

you don't mention airport, and that will make a difference, as some are better organized than others @:-)

If you have status / flying Biz you can go to Elite checkin lines and it will be a normal process with the exception of having to show your passport.

For the record, I was able to do OLCI with Swiss in Prague, though I didn't get my UA BP until I was at Swiss airport.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:55 am

Thanks for the info. United.com says the pax is checked-in but I see from past posts that may not be the case in a TINABP situation.

The email doesn't say anything about verifying documents so maybe its the extra security check.

If this is being caused by a passport check I wonder if it could have been avoided if we had foregone the automatic check-in and instead used the mobile app which has the option to scan the passport.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:39 am

United.com says the pax is checked-in but I see from past posts that may not be the case in a TINABP situation.
That's what I used to think

Read carefully, it sort of sounds like you're checked in, but you're not. Recall that from domestic segment that did NOT show me on u/g list despite word that implied I was checked in.

Never once was it the dreaded SSSS, just UAL.com incompetence.

The email doesn't say anything about verifying documents so maybe its the extra security check.
No, it does not, and trust me, those long two or three years when UA did not allow me to checkin online despite being able to do this with CO and UA premerger, I got plenty of opportunities to read the text (and watch u/g list clear without me ever getting on it).

If this is being caused by a passport check I wonder if it could have been avoided if we had foregone the automatic check-in and instead used the mobile app which has the option to scan the passport.
IIRC I read where an app :-: may :-: have allowed this, but this is UA, and things just happen for no reason. No reason I could not do online checkin for several years, and then all of sudden with same documents was able to do it for a couple of years
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Read carefully, it sort of sounds like you're checked in, but you're not. Recall that from domestic segment that did NOT show me on u/g list despite word that implied I was checked in.
Thanks again for the detailed info. I double checked and this is what I found.

The email text says - "Airport check-in required..."

The attached pdf document text says -

"You are checked-in, but we are unable to provide any
boarding passes for your itinerary via united.com.
Here is how to obtain your boarding pass(es)."

I'm guessing it means that they have marked the pax as "checked-in" for seat count but not for boarding pass issued.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:32 am

I'm guessing it means that they have marked the pax as "checked-in" for seat count but not for boarding pass issued.
Again, as an elite and many time 1K, I would NOT show up on u/g list until airport checkin, which was infuriating as it destroyed any chance of u/g.

To me this indicates I was :-: NOT :-: checked in, though they may have had the info for "head count."

Very odd, as way back about 15 years ago I was able to checkin online AND print BP with KLM (when CO was part of SkyTeam) for a MAD-AMS-IAH flight, something UA seems to be unable to do with regularity in 21st century

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.