Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:00 am

Sometimes United needs to see your passport first before you are eligible for online boarding passes. Also it's not available for all countries and all routes as many have visa requirements as well.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:45 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
If its not security related, they probably need to verify your travel docs. Does your destination require a visa?
Europe.

Checked in online last two or three times. Including arriving in BRU as I am doing this time.

Originally Posted by stevneil
Sometimes United needs to see your passport first before you are eligible for online boarding passes. Also it's not available for all countries and all routes as many have visa requirements as well.
They saw my passport many, many times, last about a month ago.

Had no problem in February flying to Ecuador either.

This is .bomb at work.

And apparently Pre Check is independet of UA, as that has been issued, while BP has not
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: I have a frequent flyer account with pretty much any airline to exist. Usually use AA and OW.
Although I am flying American, I still have the same problems. I called customer Service, and they said that the problem is due to my father's last name(it doesn't fit on the info page). Do you think this is legitimate?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
My passport is on file and has been used and seen many times by United personnel

2 weeks ago I checked in for CHS-EWR-HKG-SIN - no issues, electronic boarding passes and not a single person asked to see my passport prior to Singapore immigration

Last week, I was going CHS-IAD-SFO-YVR - I checked in, no electronic boarding passes, only email and print. Every single GA asked for and looked at my Passport

Kinda weird, the difference between the 2 trips
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
My passport is on file and has been used and seen many times by United personnel

2 weeks ago I checked in for CHS-EWR-HKG-SIN - no issues, electronic boarding passes and not a single person asked to see my passport prior to Singapore immigration

Last week, I was going CHS-IAD-SFO-YVR - I checked in, no electronic boarding passes, only email and print. Every single GA asked for and looked at my Passport

Kinda weird, the difference between the 2 trips
wait, you got asked for your passport before boarding, CHS-IAD and IAD-SFO on segments in your YVR itinerary? Canada does require a passport check at boarding for segments to/from Canada, and it should definitely be checked at check in, either by a kiosk if using that, an agent if checking in with them, or on the app (first time using a given passport, you need to take a photo, if not, you can select one on file). But in 10+ years of flying UA transborder, almost always with a connection on UA, I've never been asked for a passport at gate/boarding except for the specific segment to/from Canada.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
wait, you got asked for your passport before boarding, CHS-IAD and IAD-SFO on segments in your YVR itinerary? Canada does require a passport check at boarding for segments to/from Canada, and it should definitely be checked at check in, either by a kiosk if using that, an agent if checking in with them, or on the app (first time using a given passport, you need to take a photo, if not, you can select one on file). But in 10+ years of flying UA transborder, almost always with a connection on UA, I've never been asked for a passport at gate/boarding except for the specific segment to/from Canada.
Yes, I got asked in CHS, IAD and SFO for my passport. First time, normally it has only been the actual flight to Canada. This is my first flight since Nexxus, not sure if that flagged something. Whole trip was a friggin mess, so I am chalking it up to crazy crap Tuesday. Also, first time I couldn't get electronic boarding passes for CHS and IAD flights as well.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:18 am

I checked in online this morning for YYZ-ORD-STL (all flights on UA) and got the same thing, I wasn't able to print or get a mobile boarding pass. But, I have received mobile boarding passes many times for international flights, including to and from YYZ, using the same passport, so I am not sure why I got it, the only thing different this time is my CPU cleared for the YYZ-ORD leg. Anyone know why? 7 AM flight tomorrow, last thing I want to do is spend time in line at the check in counter.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I have complained here before that I have problems on return flights into Panama, where I am a legal resident but not a citizen. No OLCI and the kiosks at the airport give the yellow screen and require the agent to confirm my resident card.

Those problems disappeared for exactly three trips since September, but again I just got the TINABP. Very frustrating.
I now understand what's happening. This only happens when I try to check in online for return trips starting in STL, which are always on UAX. Return trips starting with mainline UA flights allow me to check in online.

Does anyone know if this should matter or why? Are these different systems somehow?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Has UA changed the document for "This is not a boarding pass"? This is not the first time I have had one of these emailed to me but the format is very, very different. It does assure me I am checked in.

I checked in through the app LHR-SFO-SAN and it said it would email me my boarding passes. No boarding passes appeared on the app so went to the email and received "This is not a boarding pass document".

Not sure if this makes any difference but I was offered the ability to choose an earlier flight but as I think this is my last ride on the UD of the 747 kept the same flight.

I can see my name on the UG list for the SFO-SAN leg (showing selected seat) so presume it is all okay, but I am unable to see some of the flight details for the LHR-SFO flight such as where the aircraft is coming from.

Has UA changed the format for "This is not a BP"? Or is this a different situation?

Ad always, thank you for any guidance/input
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

Has UA changed the format for "This is not a BP"? Or is this a different situation
Yes, the format of the email when you have the dreaded SSSS is very different to the email when they need to verify the travel documents.

Also, note the SSSS applies to all legs you are flying even if the SSSS is not on the subsequent BPs - this was news to me as I assumed once I had been through the additional security once (in LHR) this would suffice, but I also had to undergo additional security on the second leg (in SFO) and this was far more intensive. Also, TSA-pre does not apply when you have SSSS.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Aug 4, 2017 at 1:47 pm Reason: Update for the additional security check on the second leg of the flight
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA GS
One the lottery again. no BP = SSSS tomorrow.
Like clockwork once a year and always out of Canada to US.
Hate that it has to be some UA IT bug as I never get it on my 50+ returns from other countries.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
One the lottery again. no BP = SSSS tomorrow.
Like clockwork once a year and always out of Canada to US.
Hate that it has to be some UA IT bug as I never get it on my 50+ returns from other countries.
I fly to YYZ several times a year, and in the last two years, have gotten 3 or 4 times out of YYZ. It's not just UA though...at least once, or maybe twice was also AC. CATSA claims it is the airline doing it, not them (yeah...right...why have I never had it with TSA, then). My trusted traveler number (I'm Nexus) has been in every reservation. And only me, not my companions on the trips I've been with them on.

SSSS is also well worse in Canada then anything I've ever experienced with TSA. One of the times, I was told they were done with me, all good, and had to ask 4 times...yup, 4 times, before they would give me my BP back. Another, they didn't even mention anything...just grabbed the BP out of my hand. I knew what was going on...the poor person in front of me, who also had SSSS, didn't though.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:07 am

I am getting a cannot process check in error for my flight from BCN-IAD-AUS tomorrow. I was able to check in my wife and daughter on the same reservation. Had no problem checking in all three through the app on the outbound.

Is is this likely just a need to check documents or am I going to get SSSS?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stampchez

Is is this likely just a need to check documents or am I going to get SSSS?
What does the message say? I've noticed that the message will have verbiage about needing to verify travel docs or a general we are unable to check you in if it is SSSS related.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
What does the message say? I've noticed that the message will have verbiage about needing to verify travel docs or a general we are unable to check you in if it is SSSS related.
it says unable to complete the check in process. Please proceed to the airport for assistance.

I called and the agent did not see any errors that could be corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.