Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Check In Question

I have a flight tomorrow going from SFO-IAH-LHR.

SFO-IAH departs at 10:40, while the IAH-LHR departs at 18:30. Since I'm within the 24 hour window of the first flight, will I be eligible to also check in for the second leg? The reason I'm asking is:

1) I want to select my E+ seat for the second leg, however United is trying to charge me
2) I'd like to check the status on an upgrade ( GPU), and see where I am on the list.

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You can check in.

You won't be on the upgrade list until you check in.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:06 pm

Thanks, I was able to check in, however my name is not on the upgrade list on the last leg. First leg cleared about a week ago. Also, on the email I got from united, it says "This is not a boarding pass"
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Then you're not checked in for the INTL leg.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
They may need to check your passport at the airport to check you in.

I've never tried it before, but I believe the United App has a feature where they can take a photo of your passport for checkin. You can give that a try.

You should be able to select your E+ seat though. If the website wont let you, you can call in.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:33 pm

Thanks! What about my upgrade on the IAH-LHR segment? I don't see my name on the upgrade list. I'd rather check in now, rather than at the airport in order to increase my chances.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
You have to checkin before your name will be added to the list. This isnt to say that you can't still get upgraded before it is transferred to gate control. (see: GPU questions/CPU questions)

As for checkin, you can try what I suggested, otherwise, you have to wait til you get to the airport.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:51 pm

As an FYI- I was able to scan my passport on the mobile app, and add it to my reservation. This allowed me to check-in for the Int'l flight, and I now see my upgrade status. Issue resolved ^
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:11 am

Great, good to know the app actually works
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
How do you get it to scan it? I have 2.0.20 app version on my iPhone and I don't see where I can get a scan feature to come up.

Trying to do a OLCI for tomorrow. It has my passport info in there, but after I try to check in I get the

Attention
One of more travelers on your reservation are not eligible to receive boarding passes.

This is for India, is there somewhere I that I have to put my VISA information?

My DEN-EWR flight GPU hasn't cleared, and I'll be pissed if check-in time is what kills me- or is that even relevant for GPUs? I guess it would be the time it was applied and fare class and run before any CPUs would clear. I don't think I'll get the upgrade anyways.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:50 pm

PushingTin: you should see an option to scan your passport (by taking a photo of it) when you check in for your flight.

This post has a picture of what it looks like:
https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/co...nited-app.aspx
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:07 pm

I already have one saved and I never get an option to scan it.

ETA: I told it to input another passport and then it let me scan another passport, so I was able to scan it in. Still no luck getting checked in. I assume it is a visa, not a passport issue.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:50 pm

What kind of hacks me off is that I can't check in for my CONUS flight because of the TATL. My DEN-EWR has been F0 for over a week, but there is one seat now.

I wasn't expecting this GPU to hit on that leg and I don't know if it will be mine when I can actually check in-I got an email at T25 that I had been added to the UGL. But the last F seat is sitting there for TODs. I understand that UA wants to sell seats, but this isn't a free CPU, I'm using a GPU.

But the OLCI point is that because I can't check in, I don't know.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin
What kind of hacks me off is that I can't check in for my CONUS flight because of the TATL.
Welcome to my world

It is my understanding that you need a visa to visit India, and until someone at UA sees the visa, you can't check in, and don't get on domestic standby list.

I've traveled via China, which also requires visa, but has 72 hour Transit WithOut Visa program. I've been able to walk to DAL to check in, including the last time a month ago despite dead brain AA subcontractor who said it cannot be done. Of course with UA pulling out of DAL, no longer an option

In your case, I am guessing the only way to try to snag the U/G is to go to airport to check in by showing them your visa. Or some other passport that does not require a visa.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:41 am

Never mind, its F0. Last F seat is gone with out anyone upgrading. Maybe it was sold, maybe someone SDC, maybe it was a TOD.

It's like my third time with this visa.. and its a 5 year visa....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.