Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by BThumme
Does precheck have any effect with the SSSS does anyone know?
Alas pre-check does not seem to obviate SSSS. I've gotten in twice leaving YYZ, using the trusted traveler GE/Nexus machines, then getting the thorough patdown.

And, of course it goes without saying, if you have SSSS you'll find no point in going to the pre-check line.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
UA's doing this thing is rather ridiculous.

I infrequently fly VS, but I have no problem doing PYOB on a computer when flying VS from IAD-LHR on a DL ticket and having what looks like a 10-month visit to the UK. Nor do I hit a UA type stumbling block when flying on one-way VS tickers from LHR to the US. This all as a US citizen traveling only on US passports without ILR/visas for stays in the UK longer than 6 months.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PHL_flyer
Annoying, have this problem today in NRT for flight tomorrow. The two funny things are 1) I just flew outbound to NRT 5 days ago so they have my doc. 2). 1K desk can't tell me why I can't get a BP. You'd think if they needed docs the 1K desk could see that and say "they need to see your docs"
Just an update on what finally happened at NRT.... I never was able to complete OLCI (though I did appear on the upgrade list and did get the upgrade, ahead of reaching the airport).

My boarding pass at the counter printed the dreaded SSSS, and bag tag (since I was already at the counter) printed PPBM (positive passenger bag match). Which btw i thought all international flights required PPBM for everyone, but that's a different thread perhaps.

The funny thing is:

1) counter agent still couldn't explain why I could not do OLCI, even with PPBM and SSSS appearing.
2) *Never* had to show my passport to *any* UA personnel, including counter person who took my bag. Didn't have to scan it.
3) No difference in main NRT security line, went right through with absolustely no hassles.
4) Club agent couldn't explain why I could not do OLCI
5) The ONLY place SSSS had any impact was at boarding. After scanning BP, there is another security person who directed me off to the side. All they did was the swab test of hands, shoes, and bag. 45 seconds total.

Pretty non-eventful. I suggested to UA that they should at least return a reason if OLCI is not available. And don't send me reminder emails that OLCI is available, if you know I am not able to.

Ah well, done ranting. Sorry.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Alas pre-check does not seem to obviate SSSS. I've gotten in twice leaving YYZ, using the trusted traveler GE/Nexus machines, then getting the thorough patdown.

And, of course it goes without saying, if you have SSSS you'll find no point in going to the pre-check line.

Just an update on what finally happened at NRT.... I never was able to complete OLCI (though I did appear on the upgrade list and did get the upgrade, ahead of reaching the airport).

My boarding pass at the counter printed the dreaded SSSS, and bag tag (since I was already at the counter) printed PPBM (positive passenger bag match). Which btw i thought all international flights required PPBM for everyone, but that's a different thread perhaps.

The funny thing is:

1) counter agent still couldn't explain why I could not do OLCI, even with PPBM and SSSS appearing.
2) *Never* had to show my passport to *any* UA personnel, including counter person who took my bag. Didn't have to scan it.
3) No difference in main NRT security line, went right through with absolustely no hassles.
4) Club agent couldn't explain why I could not do OLCI
5) The ONLY place SSSS had any impact was at boarding. After scanning BP, there is another security person who directed me off to the side. All they did was the swab test of hands, shoes, and bag. 45 seconds total.

Pretty non-eventful. I suggested to UA that they should at least return a reason if OLCI is not available. And don't send me reminder emails that OLCI is available, if you know I am not able to.

Ah well, done ranting. Sorry.
This sounds identical to my return flight last year from ARN-EWR (and then on). I was expecting a through pat down at checkin in but was through normally, and then there was one more united boarding pass check where I was directed to the side. Guy looked in my bag really quick, patted me down, took maybe a minute. It was a problem for the women with their purses that took a while.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:11 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.3; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JWR66Y) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Hasn't it always been true that you can't OLCI with SSSS? I think the concern is that it would be too easy to Photoshop the SSSS out...
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 21A
Hasn't it always been true that you can't OLCI with SSSS? I think the concern is that it would be too easy to Photoshop the SSSS out...
It's mostly been true that you can't OLCI when SSSSed, but none of my situations of OLCI failing with CO/COdbaUA have anything to do with being selected for haraSSSSment.

The TSA became aware of photoshopping out the SSSS quite some time after SSSS was already being photoshopped out or names were photoshopped on non-SSSS boarding passes. TSA at its usual.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Small data point: I just did OLCI for SAT-SFO-NRT tomorrow and it went through just fine even though I haven't flown internationally with UA since 9/2012.

I do have my TTN number from GE in my profile though, not sure if that might have something to do with it.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Small data point: I just did OLCI for SAT-SFO-NRT tomorrow and it went through just fine even though I haven't flown internationally with UA since 9/2012.

I do have my TTN number from GE in my profile though, not sure if that might have something to do with it.
It seems to work ok LEAVING USA but not when coming back to the USA (from Asia).
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Aha...I didn't know what PPBM was...I got that along with SSSS last time. I was surprised to find that on a YYZ-DEN-NRT itinerary, my checked bag was opened and searched by the TSA in DEN. You would think they would trust CATSA (the Canadian TSA), since they're definitely more professional.

Last edited by astroflyer; Oct 23, 2013 at 8:54 pm Reason: fixed quote tags
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:49 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.3; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JWR66Y) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Originally Posted by 21A
It's mostly been true that you can't OLCI when SSSSed, but none of my situations of OLCI failing with CO/COdbaUA have anything to do with being selected for haraSSSSment.

The TSA became aware of photoshopping out the SSSS quite some time after SSSS was already being photoshopped out or names were photoshopped on non-SSSS boarding passes. TSA at its usual.
Really? I can't be sure for absolutely every.airline, but I'm pretty sure SSSS has always resulted in OLCI locked out in every situation I've seen. I don't think there has been at any point any airline that will issue an SSSS boarding pass online (maybe that's even in the rules, that an agent has to check ID in person or something?)

Photoshopping names is obviously a different and well-known issue (http://www.dubfire.net/boarding_pass/)...

I do believe the most direct answer to phl_flyer's question as to why they were unable to check in is that they were (for whatever silly reason) an SSSS selectee, and you can't check in online when you have been flagged for secondary.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have a trip next year that is BUR-SFO-JFK // EWR-YUL (separate reservations). I'll have about seven hours in NY during the interstitial period, and I'd like to spend as much of that in the city as possible. Trouble is that by that time I'll have a new passport that UA has never seen before, and I'm worried that I'm gonna get the dreaded "NOT A BOARDING PASS" and have to head to EWR obnoxiously early (read: arriving, god forbid, before my flight is actually boarding). My question is: if I am unable to check in online, will a kiosk or agent at BUR, SFO, or JFK be able to check me in for the EWR-YUL reservation?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I have a trip next year that is BUR-SFO-JFK // EWR-YUL (separate reservations). I'll have about seven hours in NY during the interstitial period, and I'd like to spend as much of that in the city as possible. Trouble is that by that time I'll have a new passport that UA has never seen before, and I'm worried that I'm gonna get the dreaded "NOT A BOARDING PASS" and have to head to EWR obnoxiously early (read: arriving, god forbid, before my flight is actually boarding). My question is: if I am unable to check in online, will a kiosk or agent at BUR, SFO, or JFK be able to check me in for the EWR-YUL reservation?
I believe no. I had tried the same thing, albeit at much smaller airports. Maybe there is an extremely competent member and willing to help, but I had tried this from MBS to FNT to get my issue cleared up and they said no since it was at a different airport.

Maybe they were right, maybe they were just being lazy and said that.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Flying MCI-KWI tomorrow and I am unable to complete OLCI/iPhone check-in. I figured this was because of it being intl, and needing a visa (or VoA in my case), so I grabbed the BPs when I flew out of DEN earlier this evening.

Just tried to do OLCI and still receive the message about needing to check-in at the airport. Shouldn't the agent verification of the passport have allowed me to OLCI? If not, I'm guessing I will never be able to OLCI?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
OLCI QUESTION

When I do OLCI, I am always asked if I wanted auto-check in for return flight ........any
advantage or disadvantage? Thanks, Ms. Steppie

Last edited by steppie; Jan 4, 2014 at 8:30 am Reason: wrong place for post......talking about domestic ,sorry
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by steppie
OLCI QUESTION

When I do OLCI, I am always asked if I wanted auto-check in for return flight ........any advantage or disadvantage? Thanks, Ms. Steppie
Once checked-in some travel changes are hardier to make. So if considering return changes you may not want auto-check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.