Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
"This is not a boarding pass" is more related to "selective" security screening. I am currently on NRT-EWR and encountered this. When I received my BP at the airport it had the infamous "SSSS" and when scanned the scanner beeped and indicated "selective". I also noticed that the GA scanning BPs had a handwritten list of about 6 seat assigments entitled "selective". My seat was on the list.
Oh jolly. Can I be SSSS'ed even with TSA Pre-Check?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by RJNYC
You mean qualified for TSA Pre-Check? Yes.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, in fact I don't get my Pre-Check when making my domestic connections. 'Tis the season'
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Gold
Wasn't able to get a boarding pass for HKG-SFO on the 5th . I haven't used the passport in a few months with United so wondering if this is a SSS deal
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum/*G (pmCO Plat, once upon a time), ZE President's Circle, Marriott Gold, AA, BT, DL, PS
I've had the yellow screen of death issue a few times now when flying EWR > FRA > TLL, but not when connecting to more "familiar" places like BRU or NCE. And each time the agent had never heard of Estonia and insisted on reading through each page of the TIMATIC screen while pawing through my passport looking for the visa that is of course not required. Had the same passport in the (pmCO) system for some time, too.

On the plus side, have gotten Pre-Check each of these instances, making up some of the time spent explaining that TLL is in Schengen and not, say, Russia
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SOORBraves
Wasn't able to get a boarding pass for HKG-SFO on the 5th . I haven't used the passport in a few months with United so wondering if this is a SSS deal
Let us know what happens.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you haven't flown with UA for awhile this is likely the "we need to see your passport once in awhile" nuisance rather than the SSSS, but it could be either.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:47 pm

Probably is the case, but it's not like it's been six months or so since I've used it with United. Regardless , will let post back here even if just a need to see your passport deal.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Received "This is not a Boarding Pass" at OLCI for my flight to China tomorrow. Is the issue that UA hasn't seen my Chinese Visa before? Passport name/information is stored in my profile, and both match my ticket. I have traveled internationally before on this passport with UA.

Is there any work around? Or just deal with it at the airport?
Airport - issue is the visa, which they seem to have to check each time. (Have to admit I can understand why, given China sometimes issues multiple entry, sometimes double, sometimes single, but with a time to enter - they have no way to know absent country specific coding if a previously checked visa is still valid).
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:28 pm

It turned out to be SSSS didn't notice any different didn't get any special pat down or anything at HKG. First time I've gotten it though. I was able to checkin and get a boarding pass for my domestic flight out of SFO granted on a different carrier.

Last edited by SOORBraves; Dec 4, 2014 at 7:52 pm
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:57 am

Never mind got the secondary search at the boarding gate at HKG. Nothing though when I connected to my later domestic flight at sfo
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never mind got the secondary search at the boarding gate at HKG. Nothing though when I connected to my later domestic flight at sfo
Are you Pre-check and if so did you get it for your domestic connection?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
Are you Pre-check and if so did you get it for your domestic connection?
No pre check . I am flying back to HK next week on United from San Diego of course connecting in SFO ill be interested to see if I get it again or if it was a one time deal
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got "This is not a boarding pass" for tomorrow's MCO-IAH-EZE trip. At least this time they indicated why. They need to verify that I've paid Argentina's reciprocity fee.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SwisherTown
You mean qualified for TSA Pre-Check? Yes.
Turns out that they needed to confirm that I had a PRC Visa. No SSSS and had Pre-Check. No problems checking in online on the return. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.