Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Once checked-in some travel changes are hardier to make. So if considering return changes you may not want auto-check in.
Good to know......I seem to be always changing my return flights.....thanks
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Just got this for the first time. Flew an Asian trip late last year, so it isn't a doc check.

I got thru all the questions and it said that it couldn't print out my BP, and it listed me by name even though I'm the only one on the itinerary- so it seems its a personal thing. The whole thing looked different than I remember.

Called the 1K line and she had no idea, just that I'd have to check in at the airport.

I've gotten Global Entry since my last overseas trip. This trip is DEN-EWR-BOM then a week later I BOM-DXB on EK do a trade show and then head DXB-IAD-DEN. Does that kind of routing (not my first BOM trip, but my first to DXB) raise flags or something.

Not many upgrades available, I hope I don't lose out due to tie-breaker check-in time.

AND I just got en email about my CPU

We are not yet able to confirm your request for an upgrade on your flight from Denver, CO (DEN) to New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty). While your upgrade request will no longer appear in your reservation, you will automatically be added to the upgrade standby list after you complete check-in and receive your boarding pass for this flight
All kinds of funkyness.....

Last edited by PushingTin; Mar 1, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:37 am

If you are flying on a combined Lufthansa/United Itinerary I can check in for all the flights via Lufthansa.com am I right? When I get to Barcelona the agent has all of the boarding passes of all segments.

I remember once in CDG on a Delta/Alitalia flight they had an area where you could pickup your next boarding pass that was already printed. That was a nice touch for connecting customers.

Why is it that on Lufthansa I can print my boarding pass without any problems but United wants you to scan your Passport once every six months at a kiosk?

So whats the point for entering in your Passport Info? I would think United could verify that you have a valid passport using the data provided in your profile so all the agent has to do is look over the passport but then it would print "DOCS OK". "API OK".
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
FYI, this weekend I was able to resolve this issue and get fully checked in by an agent at an airport not involved in the itinerary.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Just got this for the first time. Flew an Asian trip late last year, so it isn't a doc check.

I got thru all the questions and it said that it couldn't print out my BP, and it listed me by name even though I'm the only one on the itinerary- so it seems its a personal thing. The whole thing looked different than I remember.

Called the 1K line and she had no idea, just that I'd have to check in at the airport.
Last time my wife got this was on CVG - EWR - BOM - that was the return portion of the round trip. The email she got with the this is not a boarding pass message had the reason (don't remember the exact wording, but something along the lines of document verification). Even though she has gotten that type of email before, it never had the reason. So that was new for her, might want to check if you notice it there?

On the other hand, the outbound portion she was able to check in online for BOM-US - a first since she had her green card. So something changed for the better with that process.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Got SSSSed today EWR to HNL (and could not do OLCI). I am doing the island hopper tomorrow from HNL to GUM with 5 stops, then on to HKG. Printed out boarding passes on arrival at HNL and got one BP for each segment (7 total!)... all with SSSS. Holly crap... what on earth might this entail?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Flying PDX-SEA-YVR today, and got the dreaded 'This is Not a Boarding Pass' card for the second leg (UA code share on AC metal.

The fine print on my card reads: "Please proceed directly to the United ticket counter at your originating airport to obtain your boarding passes and check any baggage that you might have."

I went to the desk in PDX and was told this is not my 'originating airport' for the non-boarding pass. I'll have to sort this out in SEA, and it will be interesting to see whether I have to go to the ticketing o....er pre-security, or whether this can be sorted out near the gate, or even in the United Club.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Flying PDX-SEA-YVR today, and got the dreaded 'This is Not a Boarding Pass' card for the second leg (UA code share on AC metal.

The fine print on my card reads: "Please proceed directly to the United ticket counter at your originating airport to obtain your boarding passes and check any baggage that you might have."

I went to the desk in PDX and was told this is not my 'originating airport' for the non-boarding pass. I'll have to sort this out in SEA, and it will be interesting to see whether I have to go to the ticketing o....er pre-security, or whether this can be sorted out near the gate, or even in the United Club.
Agents at any airport can resolve it. I did it last weekend. Agent specifically told me that any airport can deal with it. You got a bad agent.

EDIT: Maybe AC is the issue, though.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Agents at any airport can resolve it. I did it last weekend. Agent specifically told me that any airport can deal with it. You got a bad agent.

EDIT: Maybe AC is the issue, though.
Both PDX agents (at check in and in the UC told me) "We don't have the software" to check an AC pax in, although UA handles AC flights to YVR.

At SEA, I asked at the gate upon arrival and the agent who was getting ready to board the return flight to PDX, said 'I can't help you.' She pointed me to the Customer Service desk where there were four agents and no pax. The first reply was 'We'll be at the desk for the AC flight in 20 minutes.' It was only when I asked whether the non-BP would get me into the United Club that an agent agreed to issue a real boarding pass.

The half-glass of Miller Genuine Draft that I'm now quaffing was hard won, but I did persevere!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
This is not a boarding pass: SK codeshare

Just a question and a complaint about UA's IT system.

I booked BOS-SFO-ORD-LHR-CPH on ual.com

BOS-SFO-ORD-LHR is on UA metal

LHR-CPH is an codeshare (UA number, SK metal)

Online check-in gives me a "This is not a boarding pass" for LHR-CPH.

It says:
1. Your connecting boarding passes can not be processed online or at an airport kiosk.
2. Please proceed directly to the United ticket counter at your originating airport to obtain your boarding passes and check any baggage that you may have.
Is this true? Even the kiosk at the airport can not give me a boarding pass for the SK flight? Damn. Even the kiosk will give you an NH and LH BP (granted, they don't work and you have to exchange them at the transfer desk).
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:47 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Are you in an exit row seat for LHR-CPH?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:24 am

This is not a boarding pass: SK codeshare

I don't have personal experience traveling on SK, but are you able to check in for LHR-CPH on the SK website using your SK PNR? (That's what I would have tried on LH.)
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:26 am

I had the same issue on ATL-ORD-CPH. When I checked in I wasn't given a boarding pass on ORD-CPH and was forced to check in with SK in ORD.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
I had that note for a trip earlier this year EWR-ua-NRT-nh-HKG for the NH flight. The agents at EWR couldn't do anything about NH BPs and said I had to wait until the xfer desk at NRT.

-dan
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last time this happened to me I wound up with an SSSS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.