FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:30 am
Hipplewm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
wait, you got asked for your passport before boarding, CHS-IAD and IAD-SFO on segments in your YVR itinerary? Canada does require a passport check at boarding for segments to/from Canada, and it should definitely be checked at check in, either by a kiosk if using that, an agent if checking in with them, or on the app (first time using a given passport, you need to take a photo, if not, you can select one on file). But in 10+ years of flying UA transborder, almost always with a connection on UA, I've never been asked for a passport at gate/boarding except for the specific segment to/from Canada.
Yes, I got asked in CHS, IAD and SFO for my passport. First time, normally it has only been the actual flight to Canada. This is my first flight since Nexxus, not sure if that flagged something. Whole trip was a friggin mess, so I am chalking it up to crazy crap Tuesday. Also, first time I couldn't get electronic boarding passes for CHS and IAD flights as well.