Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hughw
... I ran through the check-in again on my IOS 8 iPhone App and received a similar message, but along with that there was an invitation to add her passport by taking a picture of it with the iPhone camera. Sure, I said. The camera turned on...there were brackets to properly locate her passport in the camera window....it snapped....asked me to confirm the info on the passport...then said it would take up to five minutes to verify. Lo and behold, after about 3 or 4 minutes, it said passport was verified and we were able to pull up a mobile boarding pass and print out a paper one.

Score a few points for Apple, UA, and technology in general!!!!!
Also available for the Android phones.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by hughw
Score a few points for Apple, UA, and technology in general!!!!!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Also available for the Android phones.
UA, Apple, scanned photos, AirBnB ...

doesn't excuse UA from locking me out of online checkin for three years despite flying international and scanning passport at least four times a year

Probably won't be able to checkin online for another three after this post
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid

doesn't excuse UA from locking me out of online checkin for three years despite flying international and scanning passport at least four times a year

Yeah, I don't exactly get a warm, fuzzy feeling trusting Apple with any of my data.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC

Probably related to the fact your name on the reservation does not match the passport letter by letter when compared to the machine-readable part. At least that is my problem - I do have a middle-name, however the middle-name is not listed in the machine-readable part at the lower end of the passport.

So whenever I have a reservation that has the middle-name in it (when booked through united.com as my middle-initial is stored in my profile) I am unable to checkin online, however when it is not (booked on an OTA) the checkin works like charm...obviously the photo of your passport helps in this situation.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors

I suffer the same fate - holding an EU passport, a U.S. ARC, and GE, all of which are in my profile and the passport scanned by UA again and again. Yet on routine trips not only do I get "this is not a boarding pass" and inviting me to use a kiosk, but then when using a kiosk I get a big yellow screen which a UA employee has to clear by using their badge. It's PITA to get an employee's attention at a kiosk. And then it pulls up several pages of TIMATIC which they don't even bother to read.

Exactly what is the purpose of this charade? Are they truly too scared to programmatically figure out that someone with an EU passport and ARC can freely enter all EU countries, as well as USA and most countries in Asia that aren't PRC?

It also means that LH can never check me in, either.

ETA and there is no mismatch of any information in passport, ARC and GE with my ticket information or reservation information.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by djohannw
Probably related to the fact your name on the reservation does not match the passport letter by letter when compared to the machine-readable part.
Nope.

As noted in other threads, I was able to check in with both PMUA and PMCO using same passport.

Then one day magically was able to check in online

We'll see if trend continues in November
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've received "This is not a Boarding Pass" once and when the agent gave me my BP it had the dreaded "SSSS" on it.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Won't let me check in for a BOM flight tomorrow. They saw this passport a few weeks ago and they have seen my Visa for there a few times, once this year. Is it that you always have to check in in person for VISA required countries? I have a multi year/entry for India, previously I had only single year ones and I can understand that they want to see it then, but they've seen this visa before.

I tried to check in on the app and it didn't prompt me to photograph anything.

Last edited by PushingTin; Nov 29, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Won't let me check in for a BOM flight tomorrow. They saw this passport a few weeks ago and they have seen my Visa for there a few times, once this year. Is it that you always have to check in in person for VISA required countries? I have a multi year/entry for India, previously I had only single year ones and I can understand that they want to see it then, but they've seen this visa before.

I tried to check in on the app and it didn't prompt me to photograph anything.
When was the last time you updated your app? You may have an earlier version that doesn't include the passport / photo aspect of the process. Just thinking out loud...
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
When flying to South Africa last month I got a 'this is not a BP'. When I went to the airport they could not figure out why. The system gave no instructions to the agent on what he was supposed to check. SA does not require Visa's for US citizens entering for less than 90 days. My return was on the sale PNR, so UA had my return info. There are definitely bugs in the UA system that does this...
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cargojon
When was the last time you updated your app? You may have an earlier version that doesn't include the passport / photo aspect of the process. Just thinking out loud...
2.0.19? Says there are no updates.... iphone5

My trusted-traveller/pre-check number has fallen out of all my itineraries. Something happened back in sept/oct were it fell out of my profile and was lost in all my ticketed itineraries. I've had to call and get it applied back to my profile, checked it online and confirmed it's there- but any old itinerieries I have to have them put it back in manually.

Good thing that they have found a way to sell upgrades to kettles at a discount to what it is offered to 1Ks, but they can't keep a number in the system.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Received "This is not a Boarding Pass" at OLCI for my flight to China tomorrow. Is the issue that UA hasn't seen my Chinese Visa before? Passport name/information is stored in my profile, and both match my ticket. I have traveled internationally before on this passport with UA.

Is there any work around? Or just deal with it at the airport?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing you can do about it.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RJNYC
Received "This is not a Boarding Pass" at OLCI for my flight to China tomorrow. Is the issue that UA hasn't seen my Chinese Visa before? Passport name/information is stored in my profile, and both match my ticket. I have traveled internationally before on this passport with UA.

Is there any work around? Or just deal with it at the airport?
No work around for UA or any other carrier. The chinese Visas are typically only for a year.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"This is not a boarding pass" is more related to "selective" security screening. I am currently on NRT-EWR and encountered this. When I received my BP at the airport it had the infamous "SSSS" and when scanned the scanner beeped and indicated "selective". I also noticed that the GA scanning BPs had a handwritten list of about 6 seat assigments entitled "selective". My seat was on the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.