Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you want to know about 737-900 (739)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you want to know about 737-900 (739)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by audio-nut
DEN-PVR flt 537 and 1944 on 6APR, the 739 seat map doesn't match anything on ua.com or seatguru. Is that usual? ...
As UA has multiple 739 seating configurations and may it times swap a 738, UA uses a hybrid seat map until closer to departure (a few days)

Does this flight have seat back IFE?
As some configurations have DirecTV and some don't, you will not know until closer to departure. They all will have PDE which provides entertainment options to the user's personal device (smartphone, tablet, computer, ...)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Does this flight have seat back IFE?
I was on a 739 on ORD-SFO that had DirecTV but the return 739 did not have it. However, you will be let known that by an email that United sends before your flight about the entertainment. I don't recall if that email is sent one day or two days before the flight. My return flight email showed that there would be no DirecTV. Naturally, that can always change if they need to swap one plane for another due to some delays.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Is 25B blocked, as viewed from flight status seat map?

I am puzzled that seat 25B is occupied/blocked on App’s flight status seat map. When I go to seat map through “printing boarding pass/change seats,” this seat is available. What is going on?
Thanks,
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I am puzzled that seat 25B is occupied/blocked on App’s flight status seat map. When I go to seat map through “printing boarding pass/change seats,” this seat is available. What is going on?
Thanks,
It's blocked for accommodation, but the block is able to be selected through via the check-in process. This is standard for the accommodation blocks (7DE, 23BC, 25BC on 737s).
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm on a flight SFO-PHX on a 737-900. I'm in economy, and selected seat 21F. Rear exit row, so I can recline and the person in front of me can't.

I notice (on seatguru) that two of the F seats don't recline (5 A&B). I don't want to risk ending up in one of those seats.. I'm happy with my exit row seat.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2019 at 12:32 am Reason: split post
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
..I'm on a flight SFO-PHX on a 737-900. .....

I notice (on SeatGuru ) that two of the F seats don't recline (5 A&B).
Don't believe everything Seatguru says, it was once a great resource.

The might be a small reduction in the recline, but they do recline

Row 5 is not that bad and does have some recline - probably as much as an E+ seat
JetBunny likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2019 at 12:39 am
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Don't believe everything Seatguru says, it was once a great resource.

The might be a small reduction in the recline, but they do recline
The worst thing about those seats is lavatory proximity. For some reason, those lave are the worst in the fleet for odor distribution. The 739 is the one plane where I prefer to sit farther back.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Having done PHX-SFO in Row 5, it's fine. Not quite as nice as the other rows, but still miles better than Y unless the middle is empty.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
Having done PHX-SFO in Row 5, it's fine. Not quite as nice as the other rows, but still miles better than Y unless the middle is empty.
Sitting in 5B on DEN-MCO on a 739 at this very moment and the recline may be a hair less than the others but I have no complaints. Looking over at 5E, I can see that the recline is about 5" or so... maybe a bit more. I am very comfy here.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Sitting in 5B on DEN-MCO on a 739 at this very moment and the recline may be a hair less than the others but I have no complaints. Looking over at 5E, I can see that the recline is about 5" or so... maybe a bit more. I am very comfy here.
Interesting. I know 5B backs against the lav whereas 5E is to the bulkhead. I was in 5E with few complaints; it sure beat the "earlier" flight I was originally on that was delayed 4h40 due to late inbound
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
Interesting. I know 5B backs against the lav whereas 5E is to the bulkhead. I was in 5E with few complaints; it sure beat the "earlier" flight I was originally on that was delayed 4h40 due to late inbound
I have learned over time that these seats are just fine. Yes 5A and B back up to the lav, but the recline is at the worst only a hair less than the other seats in F. I had this same fear in the past, but as I gained the experience in these seats, I realized they are not bad at all. It will be nice when they replace these F seats on the 737/738/739 fleet with the ones that are used in the 739MAX and the Airbus fleets.

I would definitely sit in any F seat on any plane vs. sitting even in the best E+ seats.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As some configurations have DirecTV and some don't, you will not know until closer to departure. They all will have PDE which provides entertainment options to the user's personal device (smartphone, tablet, computer, ...)
Is "DirecTV" synonymous with PTV?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:39 pm

Is "DirecTV" synonymous with PTV?
"DirecTV" is 100+ "live" TV channels and a selection of 6 movies, it uses a seatback screen (It had been a fee based system in Economy but is now free) . TV channels are limited to when the flight is CONUS (over the continental U.S.A.)
There is also PDE (wifi delivered entertainment for your personal device -- smartphone, tablet, computer,....)
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Here is an interesting data point to consider: I was flying from ORD to EWR in 5A (First Class). The flight was a lunch flight. Due to a combination of turbulence on departure and a seemingly inexperienced crew, meal service began less than one hour prior to arrival (that would be to wheels down-not just down to 10,000). The flight attendants began handing out towels at T-1 to arrival. I received my food when the aircraft was well into descent and almost at 10,000. All passengers in the first four rows received lunch. Myself and Mr. 5B also received lunch. However, by the time we hit 10,000 feet, 5E and 5F had not received lunch. The inexperienced flight attendant seemed supericially apologetic and offered each of those passengers $25 E-Cert of 1,000 miles... oy.

TL;DR, On a short flight with meal service, sit in the first few rows to guarantee time to eat. I don't know if this is isolated or if it happens frequently.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
If you are sensitive to odor, do not pick 5A. There must be some leak between the lavatory and the wall. Ugh it smells so bad...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.