Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by John_Montana
Thanks again! Sorry for all of the questions but I'm still a bit confused.

Are you saying that I could confirm an upgrade now (if we split) and need to keep manually checking to confirm the other? I'm confused because we are waitlisted together now, won't that automatically upgrade us to R if it becomes available?

Finally, if I do split our reservation, will the upgrades happen automatically since we are wait listed now, or do I need to call and request something be done manually?

Cheers!
No problem, we bicker a lot on here so it's fun to help new folks with questions we now take for granted

In theory, it should auto-clear you if it became R2, but let's just say UA systems have "challenges" doing this. And it won't upgrade one of you with R1 since you're on a 2 person reservation.

You'll need to call in regardless once you split. Again, I'd request that they upgrade your companion (just tell them your companion's PNR, don't even mention yours), and wait for the next R slot to open up for yourself.

If the agent won't clear you, hang up and call again...#1 rule!
Old May 25, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No problem, we bicker a lot on here so it's fun to help new folks with questions we now take for granted

In theory, it should auto-clear you if it became R2, but let's just say UA systems have "challenges" doing this. And it won't upgrade one of you with R1 since you're on a 2 person reservation.

You'll need to call in regardless once you split. Again, I'd request that they upgrade your companion (just tell them your companion's PNR, don't even mention yours), and wait for the next R slot to open up for yourself.

If the agent won't clear you, hang up and call again...#1 rule!
Ok thank you, I'm starting to understand! I enabled expert mode and see the R1 & RN1 availability. (*btw- I can't believe I didn't know about expert mode despite 2+ years of 1K status & 1 year of Platinum!)

If I opt to keep our reservation combined, will we be split regardless when auto-checkin kicks in at 8pm tonight? (so I should just split now?)
Old May 25, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Ok thank you, I'm starting to understand! I enabled expert mode and see the R1 & RN1 availability. (*btw- I can't believe I didn't know about expert mode despite 2+ years of 1K status & 1 year of Platinum!)

If I opt to keep our reservation combined, will we be split regardless when auto-checkin kicks in at 8pm tonight? (so I should just split now?)
No worries - if you didn't spend time on FT (or dig around in your account settings), it would be easy to miss

Not sure how it works w/instruments vs. going for a CPU with respect to splitting (I'm sure someone can jump in to clarify). Honestly, that R seat could be snapped up at any minute...I'd just get the split over with now and snatch it up. It will then be F3R0...most likely R won't pop open again until just before T-24.
Old May 25, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No worries - if you didn't spend time on FT (or dig around in your account settings), it would be easy to miss

Not sure how it works w/instruments vs. going for a CPU with respect to splitting (I'm sure someone can jump in to clarify). Honestly, that R seat could be snapped up at any minute...I'd just get the split over with now and snatch it up. It will then be F3R0...most likely R won't pop open again until just before T-24.
Ok, good advice. I just split the reservation myself, and called UA to request the R upgrade for my companion. She's now confirmed in R, and I still wait-listed. The UA Agent suggested I check 4 hours prior to departure for R class availability, because R & F are "leveled out" at that time. He said I could then bypass the airport upgrade list, assuming an R comes available. (if this is all true, I'm sure it's not news to many, but this is all news to me){

I'm going to keep checking for R Class availability, probably annoying my GF on our last day of vacation, and hope to get an upgrade for myself.

Cheers!
John
Old May 25, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ok, good advice. I just split the reservation myself, and called UA to request the R upgrade for my companion. She's now confirmed in R, and I still wait-listed. The UA Agent suggested I check 4 hours prior to departure for R class availability, because R & F are "leveled out" at that time. He said I could then bypass the airport upgrade list, assuming an R comes available. (if this is all true, I'm sure it's not news to many, but this is all news to me){

I'm going to keep checking for R Class availability, probably annoying my GF on our last day of vacation, and hope to get an upgrade for myself.

Cheers!
John
Smart move - she can deal with the annoyance to ride in a flat bed for 10 hours

And don't wait til 4 hours out, start checking at about T-24.5.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Apologies for the quick last-minute question posted from my phone without the ability to do a bunch of previous reading and research--

Is the split-at-check-in thing specifically limited to CPUs or does it affect PNRs with two non-status pax waitlisted with RPUs?

Basically, I'm trying to surprise a non-status friend and his new wife on their honeymoon with an upgrade. No R space now (departure in 2 days) but several F seats so hopeful they'll open up.

I don't want to tell the friend and ruin the surprise (and get his hopes up and then dashed if the upgrade doesn't go through, but obviously I'd need to warn him about declining the split at check-in if it's going to ask (definitely do NOT want to split the PNR and have one person upgraded and the other not on their honeymoon!). He doesn't fly much, so that would be confusing and also potentially ruin the surprise.

If it's going to try to split the PNR, maybe it's best to skip trying to upgrade, which would be a bummer but probably for the best. Thoughts?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jackal
Apologies for the quick last-minute question posted from my phone without the ability to do a bunch of previous reading and research--

Is the split-at-check-in thing specifically limited to CPUs or does it affect PNRs with two non-status pax waitlisted with RPUs?

Basically, I'm trying to surprise a non-status friend and his new wife on their honeymoon with an upgrade. No R space now (departure in 2 days) but several F seats so hopeful they'll open up.

I don't want to tell the friend and ruin the surprise (and get his hopes up and then dashed if the upgrade doesn't go through, but obviously I'd need to warn him about declining the split at check-in if it's going to ask (definitely do NOT want to split the PNR and have one person upgraded and the other not on their honeymoon!). He doesn't fly much, so that would be confusing and also potentially ruin the surprise.

If it's going to try to split the PNR, maybe it's best to skip trying to upgrade, which would be a bummer but probably for the best. Thoughts?
I'd guess that R opens up very shortly before T-24 and you can swoop in then. Not sure what the deal is with splitting and whether it askes, etc.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:56 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)

Read the thread WIKI at beginning of thread. It gives a good discussion.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by mkr
Read the thread WIKI at beginning of thread. It gives a good discussion.
Jackal, who is more than minimally aware of the wikis here, I assure you, is asking something not covered above.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:15 am
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Jackal, who is more than minimally aware of the wikis here, I assure you, is asking something not covered above.
OK, then don't read the WIKI.

This information may help...from the UA website: I hope it helps.

"Priority within 24 hours
New waitlist requests for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure. At 24 hours from departure, waitlists will expire and automatic processing of upgrades, per the priority listed above, (by Premier status) will continue. As customers check in, they will be placed on an airport upgrade standby list. This standby list will clear after check-in is closed, and is based on Premier status and fare class."

So the way I read it, since they are not Premier members, they will not be placed on the upgrade waitlist for the airport when they check in, because that is for CPUs. Since neither is Premier, they should not be split.

Here is the link to the entire information. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...aspx#cpriority

Of course, you can also try to buy the upgrades with reward miles from your 1K account. UA likes people to use their miles. They will inherit your status as their sponsor.

Last edited by mkr; Jun 26, 2014 at 1:45 am Reason: add more info and link
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'd guess that R opens up very shortly before T-24 and you can swoop in then. Not sure what the deal is with splitting and whether it askes, etc.
That's what I'm thinking. Ugh, it's a 5am departure. Guess I'll set my alarm early...

Originally Posted by mkr
This information may help...from the UA website: I hope it helps.

"Priority within 24 hours
New waitlist requests for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades can be made until 24 hours prior to departure. At 24 hours from departure, waitlists will expire and automatic processing of upgrades, per the priority listed above, (by Premier status) will continue. As customers check in, they will be placed on an airport upgrade standby list. This standby list will clear after check-in is closed, and is based on Premier status and fare class."

So the way I read it, since they are not Premier members, they will not be placed on the upgrade waitlist for the airport when they check in, because that is for CPUs. Since neither is Premier, they should not be split.
I don't know if I'm reading it that way. They're not Premier, but they would be traveling on an RPU and thus he inheriting my 1K status, at least for the upgrade waitlist request, so AFAIK, they'd be waitlisted just like any elite.

I guess my question is, is the airport check-in SHARES's problem with upgrading 2 people on the same PNR a relic of a bad programming job specific to upgrading an elite plus a companion (where the companion is being upgraded because he/she is listed as a companion of the elite), or is it just wholly incapable of dealing with two people on one PNR?

If the former, then because both upgrades are supported with their own instrument, maybe it'll keep them together. If the latter (which is what I'm suspecting is the case), then I'd guess it's still going to be dumb and ask them if it wants the PNR to be split.

All in all, I think mgsinc's idea of waiting until R actually opens and then sniping the upgrade is probably the best course of action...
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:44 pm
mkr
Suspended

That's what I'm thinking. Ugh, it's a 5am departure. Guess I'll set my alarm early...

I don't know if I'm reading it that way. They're not Premier, but they would be traveling on an RPU and thus he inheriting my 1K status, at least for the upgrade waitlist request, so AFAIK, they'd be waitlisted just like any elite.

I guess my question is, is the airport check-in SHARES's problem with upgrading 2 people on the same PNR a relic of a bad programming job specific to upgrading an elite plus a companion (where the companion is being upgraded because he/she is listed as a companion of the elite), or is it just wholly incapable of dealing with two people on one PNR?

If the former, then because both upgrades are supported with their own instrument, maybe it'll keep them together. If the latter (which is what I'm suspecting is the case), then I'd guess it's still going to be dumb and ask them if it wants the PNR to be split.

All in all, I think mgsinc's idea of waiting until R actually opens and then sniping the upgrade is probably the best course of action...
I'm confused. Have you already put them on the RPU waitlist? If so, did you double-check with reservations to make sure they are there?

If you have not already put them on the RPU waitlist, there may already be others on the RPU waitlist with higher priority status. I do not understand how waiting until R opens up shortly before T-24 and then attepting "sniping the upgrade" will help you because I understand that reservations strictly will not force this through, precisely because others may already be on the RPU waitlist.

Blame this on UA for not being clearer about this process. They also promised to repair the auto-splitting, but have not.

In my opinion, I think you should inform your friend what you are attempting, and explain the nuances, without making any promises to him.
I think he would be pleased at what your are attempting, regardless of whether the upgrade comes through.

You COULD go ahead now and split the reservations. Then go attach the RPU to each separate reservation. That way if the sweep upgrades one, but not the other, they won't be autosplit, and then they can call reservations and decline the RPU an get their E seats back together.

Do you know if they already have seat assignments?

Like I suggested, maybe you can just upgrade them with miles.

Also, make sure your friend doesn't change his departure time and not tell you.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
I'm confused. Have you already put them on the RPU waitlist? If so, did you double-check with reservations to make sure they are there?

If you have not already put them on the RPU waitlist, there may already be others on the RPU waitlist with higher priority status. I do not understand how waiting until R opens up shortly before T-24 and then attepting "sniping the upgrade" will help you because I understand that reservations strictly will not force this through, precisely because others may already be on the RPU waitlist.

Blame this on UA for not being clearer about this process. They also promised to repair the auto-splitting, but have not.

In my opinion, I think you should inform your friend what you are attempting, and explain the nuances, without making any promises to him.
I think he would be pleased at what your are attempting, regardless of whether the upgrade comes through.

You COULD go ahead now and split the reservations. Then go attach the RPU to each separate reservation. That way if the sweep upgrades one, but not the other, they won't be autosplit, and then they can call reservations and decline the RPU an get their E seats back together.

Do you know if they already have seat assignments?

Like I suggested, maybe you can just upgrade them with miles.

Also, make sure your friend doesn't change his departure time and not tell you.
You don't seem to fully grasp the question that Jackal was asking, or the technical issues it presents. And some of your suggestions, like using miles, make absolutely no sense at all.

I think the sniping plan makes the most sense given the combination of concerns that Jackal has.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:28 pm
mkr
Suspended

You don't seem to fully grasp the question that Jackal was asking, or the technical issues it presents. And some of your suggestions, like using miles, make absolutely no sense at all.

I think the sniping plan makes the most sense given the combination of concerns that Jackal has.

I understand what he is trying to do. He wants to surprise upgrade with RPUs his friend and wife for their honeymoon. He does not want them to be split reservations at checkin on the chance they could end up in different seats. I simply suggested he involve his friend in advance (since it is his honeymoon) to explain the nuances. He can do what he wants about talking to his friend. It is his friend, not your friend or my friend.

I also suggested splitting the PNRs ahead of time (implies talking with the friend, of course) but keeping the same seats, to see what happens with the RPU upgrades. But I do not think it is fair to try to jump the waiting list of others who may be waitlisted with RPUs. From what I understand, the Reservations agents are unable to actually see the waiting list of others waiting for upgrades. I understand that they have been strictly told by UA to not force upgrades because of the waiting list.

The problem with splitting is that it also involves the possibility of problems with IRROPS, which needs to be considered.

IMHO, it would be wise to check to see how full the flight is for E, to avoid any problems of them not being able to sit together. He can do that by calling Res. and explaining the situation. As we know, the seat map does not tell the whole story.

Using miles from his account to upgrade them may be available, given his Premier status. If available, it likely takes priority over RPUs on the waitlist and he won't have to take a chance on the RPUs. Of course, he may not want to spend the miles. That is his decision. I simply offered my opinion, which is all that it is. And you have your opinion.

Last edited by mkr; Jun 26, 2014 at 2:53 pm Reason: clarity, change the word guarantee to likely
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
I understand what he is trying to do. He wants to surprise upgrade with RPUs his friend and wife for their honeymoon. He does not want them to be split reservations at checkin on the chance they could end up in different seats. I simply suggested he involve his friend in advance (since it is his honeymoon) to explain the nuances. He can do what he wants about talking to his friend. It is his friend, not your friend or my friend.

I also suggested splitting the PNRs ahead of time (implies talking with the friend, of course) but keeping the same seats, to see what happens with the RPU upgrades. But I do not think it is fair to try to jump the waiting list of others who may be waitlisted with RPUs. From what I understand, the Reservations agents are unable to actually see the waiting list of others waiting for upgrades. I understand that they have been strictly told by UA to not force upgrades because of the waiting list.

The problem with splitting is that it also involves the possibility of problems with IRROPS, which needs to be considered.

IMHO, it would be wise to check to see how full the flight is for E, to avoid any problems of them not being able to sit together. He can do that by calling Res. and explaining the situation. As we know, the seat map does not tell the whole story.

Using miles from his account to upgrade them may be available, given his Premier status. If available, it guarantees First and he won't have to take a chance on the RPUs. Of course, he may not want to spend the miles. That is his decision. I simply offered my opinion, which is all that it is. And you have your opinion.
Not splitting was one of the basic constraints. Jackal knows how this all works - he was asking a very specific, technical question about how to accomplish something. I know you're trying to be helpful, but it's confusing to include all this general, unrelated information in this context.

As for the miles, I have no idea what on earth you're talking about, but suffice it to say that mileage upgrades don't work the way you think they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.