Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demkr
What I don't understand is why upon split upon checkin, atleast 5 people seperate between myself and my companion. Anyone have insight as to why this occurs?

Not that it matters anyway, I'm "only" a 1K and thus upgrades are hard.
That should not be. They are always right behind you on the outbound. The inbound though is when they drop lower...usually the last at that premier level.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by demkr
For my Silver companion and Myself this year, we made sure to book one-ways instead of RTs just to not have to worry about this-- and then we'll split at check-in if not upgraded by then
So the interesting thing, was I thought that this solution worked out the best. But from over a year in that boat (with my wife on the record), I don't believe that approach maximises the upgrade possibilities - actually, i'm sure it doesn't.

If you book one-ways and BEFORE upgrade windows, you split the reservation (listing the other passenger as the companion - i'm not certain if you can do this), that is the best approach to maximising upgrades.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Yeah, definitely the best approach.
As stated above, I was seemingly passed up many times on CPUs with a companion. That most likely was because I was a party of two, and the CPU [invisible] bucket was at 1 or less, every single time. Only after I split the record was I upgraded and then shortly after, my wife was upgraded, and presumably if we DIDN'T split, neither would have received the upgrade.

Which is why on several of my flights over the last year, my wife and I would get skipped on the outbound leg, but actually clear (albeit one at at time, and we would rarely get seats together) since the records only contain one person.

Obviously, it varies dramatically based on cabin types and how many seats are available, but it's actually best with COdbaUA to have only one person on a record when seats are tight - but of course you can definitely end up in different cabins and most likely will end up in seats not next to each other.

This is one of the stupid reasons I'm leaving UA - their systems are horribly complex and awful - the agents probably have no clue about any of this (one agent gave me a hard time when I wanted to have my Y seat in the middle and my companion in the aisle, in case I cleared, the best seat remained) and there is no simple solution around these systems - basically, we all 'deal' with their limited systems in one way or another...and frankly, if i'm going to spend my money on an airline, it will be one that I don't have to deal with. It's sad, but it's taken me more than a year and half to figure that out with CO's systems...

-jeremy
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:35 pm
mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
We are a family of 4, and are about to book tickets for a couple of vacations.

I am a 1K, my wife and elder Son a Silver and my younger soon a non-elite.

We don't mind splitting ourselves in groups of 2 (1 parent + 1 child). A lot more peaceful if we do that

Anyways, what's the best strategy to book and / or split?
- Should I book all 4 on the same PNR?
- Should I book me (1K) and non Elite on one, and the 2 silvers on another?
- Should I book all 4 on the same PNR, get E+ seats and then split?

Even if 2 of the 4 people got upgrades, we'll be happy.

Any suggestions on the best way to approach this?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by mp2
We are a family of 4, and are about to book tickets for a couple of vacations.

I am a 1K, my wife and elder Son a Silver and my younger soon a non-elite.

We don't mind splitting ourselves in groups of 2 (1 parent + 1 child). A lot more peaceful if we do that

Anyways, what's the best strategy to book and / or split?
- Should I book all 4 on the same PNR?
- Should I book me (1K) and non Elite on one, and the 2 silvers on another?
- Should I book all 4 on the same PNR, get E+ seats and then split?

Even if 2 of the 4 people got upgrades, we'll be happy.

Any suggestions on the best way to approach this?
At the 1K window, you can get at most two upgrades, so you'll want to split into 2+1+1.

Although your two silvers could get E+ seats at checkin, you can guarantee them good E+ seats now (and ones probably all together) by booking all four on your PNR initially (also join united.com club if you haven't already).

Then I'd split off the two silvers, since they have a chance to get upgraded on their own. Keep your younger son on your reservation. In the best case, you and your younger son will get upgraded at T-96. And your wife and elder son might pick up upgrades as silvers. You could theoretically get all four upgrades. (I might also ask the checkin or gate agent if you could get the two silvers listed on the upgrade list at your status level, though it probably won't happen. It might if you and your younger son have already received upgrades.)

Also note that since you're 1K, your companion upgrade (if within 24 hours) will process at before all Plats but after all 1Ks. Whether your companion is non-elite or silver won't help him/ her. (Or at least I don't think it will. It would make sense that if you had a non-elite companion and another 1K had a silver companion that the silver would take priority. I don't think United's systems are that smart though.)

Anyway, there's no harm in splitting after you've gotten all your E+ seats. Just don't split off your non-elite from your PNR.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
At IAH terminal C this morning, they couldn't check me in without splitting. I begged them to find another way, but they couldn't resolve it. I finally relented and of course my companion wasn't listed for the upgrade and, by the time I added him at the gate, he was 10 slots behind me.

It may have been due to an IRROPS rebooking (I had initially declined the split, but then our flight was cancelled and I had the 1K desk rebook--perhaps the Do Not Upgrade flag was still stuck in the record from our old flight or something).

I'm a bit disappointed for two reasons:
-lounge access for my companion in BOM -- if it's a contract lounge, I may not be able to guest him (I need to look into what the BOM lounge situation is), and
-cpu on the return domestic EWR-IAH segment

Still waiting for some long-promised resolution to the CPU system...I was hoping it would resolve some of these issues...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
I'm a bit disappointed for two reasons:
-lounge access for my companion in BOM -- if it's a contract lounge, I may not be able to guest him (I need to look into what the BOM lounge situation is), and
Would have being on a single PNR made a difference here?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Would have being on a single PNR made a difference here?
Yes; it has been my experience that companions on the same PNR show *G on their boarding passes as well, so they have been allowed access to lounges without me needing to specifically list them as my guests.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Just wish to reconfirm..

My wife (1K) will travel with our son's family of 5 none of them have status. All six are in E+ outbound and inbound. If my wife choose to split the reservation into 2+4, I gather the 4 will all keep their pre-assigned seats on the outbound. But they will also keep their E+ seats on the inbound unless there is a IRROP? Two years ago we had a similar situation, after I was upgraded at the gate on the outbound, in the return flight other members of my party each get their own PNR and are moved to E-.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:57 am
mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by bigwings8
At the 1K window, you can get at most two upgrades, so you'll want to split into 2+1+1.

Although your two silvers could get E+ seats at checkin, you can guarantee them good E+ seats now (and ones probably all together) by booking all four on your PNR initially (also join united.com club if you haven't already).

Then I'd split off the two silvers, since they have a chance to get upgraded on their own. Keep your younger son on your reservation. In the best case, you and your younger son will get upgraded at T-96. And your wife and elder son might pick up upgrades as silvers. You could theoretically get all four upgrades. (I might also ask the checkin or gate agent if you could get the two silvers listed on the upgrade list at your status level, though it probably won't happen. It might if you and your younger son have already received upgrades.)

Also note that since you're 1K, your companion upgrade (if within 24 hours) will process at before all Plats but after all 1Ks. Whether your companion is non-elite or silver won't help him/ her. (Or at least I don't think it will. It would make sense that if you had a non-elite companion and another 1K had a silver companion that the silver would take priority. I don't think United's systems are that smart though.)

Anyway, there's no harm in splitting after you've gotten all your E+ seats. Just don't split off your non-elite from your PNR.
Awesome. Thanks a lot for this. Will try this approach out during a trip in early March^
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Just wish to reconfirm..

My wife (1K) will travel with our son's family of 5 none of them have status. All six are in E+ outbound and inbound. If my wife choose to split the reservation into 2+4, I gather the 4 will all keep their pre-assigned seats on the outbound. But they will also keep their E+ seats on the inbound unless there is a IRROP? Two years ago we had a similar situation, after I was upgraded at the gate on the outbound, in the return flight other members of my party each get their own PNR and are moved to E-.
Yes, in my experience, they'll also keep their seats on the inbound unless there's an IRROP. In most cases these systems are "once you have it you keep it." Some people may remember the glitch at the beginning of 2013 where 1K status was awarded to a number of members who had flown a flight within the first couple days of January. I was supposed to be silver but ended up 1K for a few days because of the glitch. My upgrades on both legs cleared while I was 1K and remained even after the glitch had been fixed.

It's also probably not that important to you, but I don't think you can split into 2+4. I think you can split people off one at a time, so it would be 2+1+1+1+1. (Though again, I don't think it will matter to you in this case.)
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bigwings8
Yes, in my experience, they'll also keep their seats on the inbound unless there's an IRROP. In most cases these systems are "once you have it you keep it." Some people may remember the glitch at the beginning of 2013 where 1K status was awarded to a number of members who had flown a flight within the first couple days of January. I was supposed to be silver but ended up 1K for a few days because of the glitch. My upgrades on both legs cleared while I was 1K and remained even after the glitch had been fixed.

It's also probably not that important to you, but I don't think you can split into 2+4. I think you can split people off one at a time, so it would be 2+1+1+1+1. (Though again, I don't think it will matter to you in this case.)
Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Interesting Companion Return Upgrade After Split on Outbound

There may be other data that show this result but I haven't found it yet and I've read a lot of pages in this thread.

Companion (Silver) and I (Gold) booked on same reservation. On outbound I split. Neither of us upgraded but it was properly split as we have 2 separate PNR's now.

Stayed 5 nights which brought us to 48 hours. At 48 hours I got email of confirmed upgrade. Then my companion said he got an email of upgrade confirmed as well. But he's only Silver and I thought that when splitting on outbound, your companion loses my higher priority.

But I can confirm we are on completely separate itineraries and both upgraded at 48 hours on return.

Only thing noteworthy is that I missed outbound flight and ended up rebooking on other airline. My companion went as planned. UA cancelled out the outbound without affecting the return.

Thoughts? Is it possible companions are now keeping priority on return even when splitting on outbound?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
I also hate the auto-split. Why is it so hard to keep two pax on one PNR?
Sorry if this has already been covered, but it's a SHARES thing, a rather annoying one, at that. Ran into it at US they they switched from Sabre to SHARES. One of the many shortcomings of SHARES that can drive agents --- and customers --- crazy.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by scruffair
There may be other data that show this result but I haven't found it yet and I've read a lot of pages in this thread.

Companion (Silver) and I (Gold) booked on same reservation. On outbound I split. Neither of us upgraded but it was properly split as we have 2 separate PNR's now.

Stayed 5 nights which brought us to 48 hours. At 48 hours I got email of confirmed upgrade. Then my companion said he got an email of upgrade confirmed as well. But he's only Silver and I thought that when splitting on outbound, your companion loses my higher priority.

But I can confirm we are on completely separate itineraries and both upgraded at 48 hours on return.

Only thing noteworthy is that I missed outbound flight and ended up rebooking on other airline. My companion went as planned. UA cancelled out the outbound without affecting the return.

Thoughts? Is it possible companions are now keeping priority on return even when splitting on outbound?
Last month on a flight to hawaii, me and my companion split PNRs at checkin on the outbound and she retained my silver benefits of free bag and E+ at checkin on the return and got put on the upgrade list.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum

Today's latest PNR splitting experience flying PSPIAH as a Silver (formerly 1K) with wife.

Reservation booked yesterday less than 24 hours out. Flight was booked 4/6 at checkin. Ambiguous wording when going thru prompt to check in...only my name appeared during select travelers to upgrade. Doesn't make sense to me because it added my wife to the upgrade list even though she wasn't listed in "select travelers to upgrade".

Split PNR put me at #1 and wife as #6. #'s 2/3 and 4/5 had same last name and from conversation at gate were traveling together. So why did they stay in order but we didn't? I figured what would happen is what typically happens because SHARES is useless...only one of us would get the upgrade even though I was #1 and theoretically wife should have been #2. Companion benefit never works for me clearing in advance and usually results in us sitting apart even though two seats end up being open in the end. #2 could be on a lower fare class, checked in later etc....they might as well say add companion at gate rather than give the impression that by booking together you are eligible to upgrade yourself and said companion if you are next on list and two seats are open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.