Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:15 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes that's a downgrade. Did they give you a BP for 53K?
Nope. But my reservation on .bomb now shows Economy and 53K, so it's clearly in the system. And I have a screenshot of it. And my original BP for 10A. And a photo of that. If there's anything I learned on FT, it's to document everything.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by QBK
Nope. But my reservation on .bomb now shows Economy and 53K, so it's clearly in the system. And I have a screenshot of it. And my original BP for 10A. And a photo of that. If there's anything I learned on FT, it's to document everything.
^
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Following are responses that I received in the past from customer service after downgrades from first class (CPU upgrades) where I was confirmed, had a first class boarding pass, and was downgraded at the gate.

One wonders if they just make this stuff up or if there is some truth to the inconsistency. After multiple additional attempts with customer service and UA Insider, I just gave up on these.

First case:
Thank you for contacting United Airlines Corporate Customer Care.

It is very disappointing to learn that you were unseated from your First Class seat on your flight yesterday. I apologize for the negative impression this situation created.

You were given a complimentary upgrade to First Class based on your Premier status and it is an automated process prior to flight departure. However, if a passenger with a higher status arrives at the gate, they have higher priority for the 1st Class seat and are manually accommodated. Additionally, as a U.S. air carrier, federal transportation regulations require that United accommodate specific seating requested through the Federal Air Marshal program. Unfortunately, all of these circumstances can sometimes require that we change your seat assignment with little or no advance notice. Because airlines are prohibited by law from disclosing the presence of a Federal Air Marshal on board any flight, we may not be able to provide you with a full explanation of the precise cause.

As a tangible expression of our gratitude for your interest in United Airlines, I would like to provide you with an Electronic Travel Certificate which will arrive via separate email. Please allow at least 3 days for processing. The terms and conditions are clearly printed on the certificate and I am certain you will find it easy and convenient to use. The certificate can be redeemed on united.com. Included will be the PIN to be provided when it is redeemed for future travel. It is valid for one year from the date of issue and may be applied towards the purchase of revenue air transportation to any of United Airlines.
-- This was a transcon and the travel cert was $75. The only thing in this one that makes sense is the FAM excuse, but I especially liked the manual accommodation for higher status pax.

2nd Case:
Downgraded on a transcon where I was told at the gate that it was due to a plane change, although it was scheduled and flown as an A319.
First email from customer service:
We regret that you didn't get the seat you expected on flight 925 on February 23, 2012, and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We make every effort to honor our guests' seat requests, but unfortunately, due to potential operational changes or **changes to guest lists**, we are not able to guarantee seat assignments. I'm sorry that this time we could not provide the seat you had reserved and I can imagine the frustration you felt as a result.

We are able to fulfill our guests' seat requests the majority of the time, and we hope to be able to do so for you in the future. Thank you for being a loyal and valued 1K member.

The customer that replaced you in your upgraded seat was a full fare First Class customer.
2nd response after pointing out they didn't address the downgrade...
I'm sorry if you didn't understand my last email to you in reference to the reason you were downgraded. The downgrade you experienced had nothing to do with a plane change (I'm sorry you were misinformed); the seat was given to a "PAID full fare first class customer". The system upgraded you before the customer checked in. Since it was a complimentary upgrade, the system pulled it and awarded it to the PAID customer. I'm sorry you didn't get the upgrade on this flight and as a 1K customer, I'm sure you understand this system better than most. Your comments have been shared with our airport operations manager who will focus on specific training areas to ensure our agents deliver the high level of service you deserve.
So the lesson here is that they can/will oversell to a full fare passenger and downgrade you, lie to you about the reason (plane change), and offer no compensation at all.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:21 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by QBK
A question for the more experienced.

1. I was on UA870, SYD-SFO, on an H fare confirmed into R with a GPU at booking.
2. 870 went MX. I was rebooked onto UA840 SYD-LAX in confirmed C (not R), in seat 10A. Boarding pass for 10A was issued personally by UA representative at the transfer desk. I boarded and settled down in 10A.
3. Another passenger arrived with a BP for 10A. We were very polite, and referred it to the purser. After 10 minutes, a FA showed up and told me I was being downgraded to 53K in Y (I saw that one coming), and ground staff would be there to explain the situation.
4. Ground staff had no idea what was going on, confirmed via radio that I had been downgraded, but maintained (nicely, and apologetically) that he couldn't say anything about compensation.

So what do you think? Downgrade compensation because I was rebooked in C before being downgraded? Or will UA succeed in weaseling out of it?
I thought I'd close the loop on this one. I emailed 1Kvoice with a succinct description of the incident and attached a photo of my original C BP. Got a response in 24 hours apologizing and promising a $1500 ecert, which arrived about 6 days later.

So, well done UA. And good luck to those who find themselves in this situation in the future -- sometimes there IS a happy ending.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Amex Platinum
Smile Holding a Business Seat, I was Downgraded - What to Do?

I thought that I've seen everything in air travel, but nothing prepared me for what happened last week.

Holding a business/first class reservation (A class), I walked into the airport, checked-in luggage and received a boarding pass showing a business class seat. (The same seat was showing on the United app on my phone).

When boarding, the agent scanned the pass, but the computer beeped angrily. "You're not on the passenger list", she proclaimed, "wait here, please". She proceeded to board everyone else, while I'm still smiling, certain that everything will be soon resolved.

But later, with everybody on board and I'm still at the gate, the agent curtly told me that I wasn't on the passenger list. If I wanted to fly, she added, there's one seat in the last row in economy.

"But I paid for a business class seat on this flight," I protested. "Well, do you want to fly or not?" She responded coolly. So I flew three hours in economy.

Now -- what are my options? Have you ever heard about such incident? What should I ask United for compensation? More importantly -- how can I prevent it from happening in the future?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:06 pm
Suspended

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...3-new-low.html

just 1 of many that will pop up if you do a search. You didnt go thru a rare situation Welcome to the New UA
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:10 pm

Once the boarding pass is printed, the computer automatically pulls the flight coupon and your status changes to checked-in. This RARELY changes -- usually in the case of IRROPS in which you're miraculously able to make your original flight. Even then, whether it's autorobot or a manual change, your original flight is left protected. So it's quite a strange situation. Did you book the flight with a UA flight number, or that of another airline?

Last edited by Bagels; Feb 4, 2014 at 9:25 pm Reason: explained better in later post
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYC_Girl
.... Now -- what are my options? Have you ever heard about such incident? What should I ask United for compensation? More importantly -- how can I prevent it from happening in the future?
There are a couple of reasons this can happen -- very rare but still can happen. Can include oversold mistake, FAM, ..... hard to tell what to do to prevent in the future but if it happens again (very unlikely) at the gate request a Service Director and ask for "GG OVS DOWNGRADE"

On a paid fare you should be refunded the fare difference plus compensation based on flight mileage
GG OVS DOWNGRADE

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $1,000
4001+ miles $1,500
At this point, call 1K reservations and request compensation.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Just throwing this out there, but by any chance were you flying LGA-ORD tonight?

[Oops... Saw you flew last week. The reason I ask is because there was a very angry downgraded pax on UA695 LGAORD tonight loudly complaining about her situation to anyone within earshot ]
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bagels
If you contact UA, you're entitled to the difference between the fare paid and the fare flown, but the fare flown is calculated at full Y. You're also entitled to a one-way, one-class confirmed upgrade if this was a domestic flight. You can ask for mileage or a voucher for good will as well. Personally, I'd press for a large refund...
That may be how United would like to calculate it, but I would stand firm that the *minimum* cash refund is the difference between the paid fare and the *discounted* economy ticket available on the date of purchase (United will be able to look that up; I often screenshot the "basic" price of a rental car/plane ticket/etc when I purchase an upgreded one, just for this purpose). I don't know what the restrictions were on the A-fare, but unless OP actually took advantage of any change/refundability options, it really isn't valid consumer practice to pretend that OP would have purchased a full-fare ticket instead.

Agree with everything else, United *should* compensate above and beyond that out of goodwill, and should have their own curt conversation with the GA who was rude about a situation of her own company's making.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What was your seat assignment? Non-bulkhead aisle perhaps?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Amex Platinum
Smile

Ha, ha! No, that wouldn't be me :-). As much as I like comfort, I like to keep things in perspective. We have enough self-righteous folks out there already...

Originally Posted by EWR764
Just throwing this out there, but by any chance were you flying LGA-ORD tonight?

[Oops... Saw you flew last week. The reason I ask is because there was a very angry downgraded pax on UA695 LGAORD tonight loudly complaining about her situation to anyone within earshot ]
Ha, ha! No, that wouldn't be me :-). As much as I like comfort, I like to keep things in perspective. We have enough self-righteous people out there already...

Thanks for all your advice and sympathy!

I just called United about another matter, and when that matter was concluded, I asked in my sweetest voice: "could you remind me which class I flew last week?" "Sure," she said, "you flew Y class, which is full fare economy".

I thanked her and hanged up, realizing that somebody had corrected the record retroactively. I have the email itinerary plus the boarding pass (hooray for paper!), so I'd be curious to see if anyone claims that I didn't hold a confirmed first/business class seat.

I'll contact United with the details and update you on the compensation (or the trial date...).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 5, 2014 at 6:34 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYC_Girl
.... I just called United about another matter, and when that matter was concluded, I asked in my sweetest voice: "could you remind me which class I flew last week?" "Sure," she said, "you flew Y class, which is full fare economy".

I thanked her and hanged up, realizing that somebody had corrected the record retroactively......
very easy for any agent to see ticket history include fare class and seat assignments
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Please have a look at your receipt and see what the fare basis that UA says you purchased was. I recently ran int a similar issue and UA claims I purchased an economy seat despite the fact that every screen shown to me prior to purchase said I had purchased a first class seat. Also have a look at the thread linked above and this one. I'd bet you ran into the same problem as that discussed in the other two threads. Please do let us know if that is the case.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Gg ovs downgrade

I've received this compensation ($500 transcon) after upgrading with miles, then being downgraded.

GG OVS DOWNGRADE

This would make a nice tattoo, but where?

On UA 806 SFO JFK yesterday, I observed a fellow traveller downgraded to coach, after two passengers were assigned the same seat up front. I mentioned downgrade compensation to him during the flight; it was apparent that the gate agents didn't offer it! Here's hoping that he'll be able to prove the version of events that I observed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.