FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:10 pm
musing

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Following are responses that I received in the past from customer service after downgrades from first class (CPU upgrades) where I was confirmed, had a first class boarding pass, and was downgraded at the gate.

One wonders if they just make this stuff up or if there is some truth to the inconsistency. After multiple additional attempts with customer service and UA Insider, I just gave up on these.

First case:
Thank you for contacting United Airlines Corporate Customer Care.

It is very disappointing to learn that you were unseated from your First Class seat on your flight yesterday. I apologize for the negative impression this situation created.

You were given a complimentary upgrade to First Class based on your Premier status and it is an automated process prior to flight departure. However, if a passenger with a higher status arrives at the gate, they have higher priority for the 1st Class seat and are manually accommodated. Additionally, as a U.S. air carrier, federal transportation regulations require that United accommodate specific seating requested through the Federal Air Marshal program. Unfortunately, all of these circumstances can sometimes require that we change your seat assignment with little or no advance notice. Because airlines are prohibited by law from disclosing the presence of a Federal Air Marshal on board any flight, we may not be able to provide you with a full explanation of the precise cause.

As a tangible expression of our gratitude for your interest in United Airlines, I would like to provide you with an Electronic Travel Certificate which will arrive via separate email. Please allow at least 3 days for processing. The terms and conditions are clearly printed on the certificate and I am certain you will find it easy and convenient to use. The certificate can be redeemed on united.com. Included will be the PIN to be provided when it is redeemed for future travel. It is valid for one year from the date of issue and may be applied towards the purchase of revenue air transportation to any of United Airlines.
-- This was a transcon and the travel cert was $75. The only thing in this one that makes sense is the FAM excuse, but I especially liked the manual accommodation for higher status pax.

2nd Case:
Downgraded on a transcon where I was told at the gate that it was due to a plane change, although it was scheduled and flown as an A319.
First email from customer service:
We regret that you didn't get the seat you expected on flight 925 on February 23, 2012, and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We make every effort to honor our guests' seat requests, but unfortunately, due to potential operational changes or **changes to guest lists**, we are not able to guarantee seat assignments. I'm sorry that this time we could not provide the seat you had reserved and I can imagine the frustration you felt as a result.

We are able to fulfill our guests' seat requests the majority of the time, and we hope to be able to do so for you in the future. Thank you for being a loyal and valued 1K member.

The customer that replaced you in your upgraded seat was a full fare First Class customer.
2nd response after pointing out they didn't address the downgrade...
I'm sorry if you didn't understand my last email to you in reference to the reason you were downgraded. The downgrade you experienced had nothing to do with a plane change (I'm sorry you were misinformed); the seat was given to a "PAID full fare first class customer". The system upgraded you before the customer checked in. Since it was a complimentary upgrade, the system pulled it and awarded it to the PAID customer. I'm sorry you didn't get the upgrade on this flight and as a 1K customer, I'm sure you understand this system better than most. Your comments have been shared with our airport operations manager who will focus on specific training areas to ensure our agents deliver the high level of service you deserve.
So the lesson here is that they can/will oversell to a full fare passenger and downgrade you, lie to you about the reason (plane change), and offer no compensation at all.