Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:28 pm

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Hi guys, Thanks for your help in advanced.

I purchased a round trip first class ticket from IAH-DTW. Unfortunately, the aircraft was swapped to a RJ-145 from an A319. Do I qualify for some sort of compensation? Can I be rebooked onto a different flight without paying the fare difference/change fee?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by airwaysjack

I purchased a round trip first class ticket from IAH-DTW. Unfortunately, the aircraft was swapped to a RJ-145 from an A319. Do I qualify for some sort of compensation? Can I be rebooked onto a different flight without paying the fare difference/change fee?
Just a bit of a downgrade! If you find a mainline flight that's to your liking, asked to be switched to it.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Quote:

Just a bit of a downgrade! If you find a mainline flight that's to your liking, asked to be switched to it.
Just a bit There are no flights with first direct so I asked to see if I could be routed, but I would have to pay a difference in fare of $600.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Just a bit There are no flights with first direct so I asked to see if I could be routed, but I would have to pay a difference in fare of $600.
Don't accept that - hang up and call again
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are entitled to a refund of the fare difference between F & Y.

UA may, in its discretion, reroute you. But don't count on it.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
+1

I would insist on either a reroute, downgrade compensation, or a full refund.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Quote:

+1

I would insist on either a reroute, downgrade compensation, or a full refund.
I'm not taking it either. They aren't being clear about compensation. I believe that I should be legible for it.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I'm not taking it either. They aren't being clear about compensation. I believe that I should be legible for it.
When you call you need to be clear about what you bought, why you bought it, and what you expect them to do. Part of your problem is probably that DTW isnt served by any mainline from ORD, EWR, or IAD right? What about Denver?

In my opinion you're likely to be most successful getting a reroute in F, a refund, or compensation in that order. Thus if I were you, I'd pursue your options in that order.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I wouldn't look for "compensation", but I'd be quite surprised if they won't give you a full refund, if you ask for it. You booked an F ticket and they are flying a plane with no F cabin. How can they possibly claim that they are delivering the advertised product? If necessary, I would think you could chargeback the credit card and win (although do you want to pick that fight with UA?).
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Exclamation Bait and Switch

Just to clarify.....is this one of the P fares that many of us grabbed?
Those were $128 (all-in) r/t IAH/DTW - DTW/IAH.

Another FTer, that this happened to, called and asked about a routing change.
He/she was told that UA would refund the ticket, but not change the routing.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Billiken
Just to clarify.....is this one of the P fares that many of us grabbed?
Those were $128 (all-in) r/t IAH/DTW - DTW/IAH.

Another FTer, that this happened to, called and asked about a routing change.
He/she was told that UA would refund the ticket, but not change the routing.
Not sure about OP, but I have a few of those deals. Both legs on one of my trips got downgauged from A319 to RJ145. I haven't accepted the changes, but am not sure what to try and do.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by chrisp9446
Not sure about OP, but I have a few of those deals. Both legs on one of my trips got downgauged from A319 to RJ145. I haven't accepted the changes, but am not sure what to try and do.
you should be able to get a refund, at the worst i would think. pretty sad day when UA can't even sell enough seats in F at $128 round trip in order to justify the big-boy airplane on this route.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you should be able to get a refund, at the worst i would think. pretty sad day when UA can't even sell enough seats in F at $128 round trip in order to justify the big-boy airplane on this route.
Maybe they sold too many at $128 RT...
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
pretty sad day when UA can't even sell enough seats in F at $128 round trip in order to justify the big-boy airplane on this route.
Isn't this backwards? At $128 round trip, they would be losing money on every F seat they add, so why would they want more?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Isn't this backwards? At $128 round trip, they would be losing money on every F seat they add, so why would they want more?
Devil's advocate... Just get rid of free upgrades, and people will have to buy F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.