Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
A few weeks ago, I was on a domestic flight with similar circumstances. My seatmate had gotten a CPU erroneously. When the gate agent came back with his new (coach) seat assignment, they quietly provided him with a $500 voucher.

Hearing "no compensation for downgrades" seems a bit off.
Spoke with 1K Customer Care Desk rep about 5 mins ago. She indicated she would need to research this issue further and get back to me by email today.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
The beat goes on . . .

1K Customer Care Desk agent I spoke to last Friday never got back to me. Spoke to another one today. After reading GG OVS DOWNGRADE with his supervisor while I was on hold, they concluded that I was in fact entitled to an ETC. Unfortunately, that is handled by another department at customer care. I now have a new Case ID Number, and instructions to wait until the case gets processed. Plan to check in with them weekly until this gets resolved; feels a bit like playing three card monte.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Here is the problem:

Two segment award booked in F before Feb 2014

One segment involuntarily downgraded to C (equipment change).

Do you think I can get a refund of miles (based on old award chart) if I voluntarily downgrade the second segment to C as well?
Called and was told no, but I might be able to complain after the flight and get some miles back (not hopeful).
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by GBadger
If you were on the original flights and were traveling in Y, then yes, downgrade compensation would be appropriate. However, since the original flights were cancelled and you were rebooked onto new flights (into your original class of service), you are not owed downgrade compensation.
Happy to report that, having contacted the UA customer service, i was in the end awarded $1500 downgrade compensation, so i guess it's always worth trying...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hertz PC; SPG P; HH G
Currently sitting in HNL where UA 144 to IAD just went mechanical and was downgauged from 767-400 to a domestic config 757-300. The flight is currently showing a 7:05 departure (website still says 5:45, but the monitors here are saying 7:05), and the aircraft will now make a fueling stop at LAX before continuing on to Dulles.

With the downgauge, 39 lie-flats in F just dropped to 24 standard domestic F buckets, and got bumped to the back of the bus. I had upgraded this flight at time of booking using a GPU, and was told that only full-fare customers were being accommodated in F on the new aircraft. Fine with me, I get that and would have wanted it that way if I'd paid full fare (though I'd be furious about spending what will turn into 11 hours in the 757-3 F seat).

As I was going to miss my connection anyway, the agent at the desk has rebooked me onto UA 14 to EWR, also in back but at least on a 767-4, and with more options to get home once I land. I'm on the upgrade list for that flight but it's not going to happen.

Two questions: Am I owed any compensation under United's policies in light of the downgauge? And if so, am I best off trying to pursue compensation here at the airport or going through 1kvoice or trying to deal with someone at a live desk?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by everywhere_ex_lax
Currently sitting in HNL where UA 144 to IAD just went mechanical and was downgauged from 767-400 to a domestic config 757-300. The flight is currently showing a 7:05 departure (website still says 5:45, but the monitors here are saying 7:05), and the aircraft will now make a fueling stop at LAX before continuing on to Dulles.

With the downgauge, 39 lie-flats in F just dropped to 24 standard domestic F buckets, and got bumped to the back of the bus. I had upgraded this flight at time of booking using a GPU, and was told that only full-fare customers were being accommodated in F on the new aircraft. Fine with me, I get that and would have wanted it that way if I'd paid full fare (though I'd be furious about spending what will turn into 11 hours in the 757-3 F seat).

As I was going to miss my connection anyway, the agent at the desk has rebooked me onto UA 14 to EWR, also in back but at least on a 767-4, and with more options to get home once I land. I'm on the upgrade list for that flight but it's not going to happen.

Two questions: Am I owed any compensation under United's policies in light of the downgauge? And if so, am I best off trying to pursue compensation here at the airport or going through 1kvoice or trying to deal with someone at a live desk?
Yes you are entitled to downgrade compensation. See the wiki at the top of the page. They should give it to you at the gate. If not, follow up with 1kvoice specifically referencing GG OVS Downgrade.

I was subject to the same swap out of SFO three weeks ago. Kept my F seat on an RPU. Really a waste of that instrument, we had one of the old ATA 753s and it's just a miserable aircraft.

What the heck is wrong with the 764s on the HNL routes??? They are going mx with alarming regularity.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hertz PC; SPG P; HH G
Was just told by a very helpful UC rep, who talked to a station manager and tried to do right by me, that she couldn't issue compensation because I'd changed to the EWR flight, even though still in economy. She was very sympathetic and understood that the only reason I'd changed flights was due to the downgrade and delay and the potential for an upgrade on this flight, and empathized that this did not seem right to her.

More importantly, though, she confirmed that I would have been entitled to compensation had I remained on the original flight.

She encouraged me to pursue this further, and I will do so, because this is an absurd result. Had I been upgraded on the changed flight, obviously no compensation would have been due and I would have asked for none. Had this potential of foregoing compensation for what I lost been discussed with me before making the flight change, I would have stayed on the original flight.

Looks like I have a fight ahead of me.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:57 am
Suspended

Was just told by a very helpful UC rep, who talked to a station manager and tried to do right by me, that she couldn't issue compensation because I'd changed to the EWR flight, even though still in economy. She was very sympathetic and understood that the only reason I'd changed flights was due to the downgrade and delay and the potential for an upgrade on this flight, and empathized that this did not seem right to her.

More importantly, though, she confirmed that I would have been entitled to compensation had I remained on the original flight.

She encouraged me to pursue this further, and I will do so, because this is an absurd result. Had I been upgraded on the changed flight, obviously no compensation would have been due and I would have asked for none. Had this potential of foregoing compensation for what I lost been discussed with me before making the flight change, I would have stayed on the original flight.

Looks like I have a fight ahead of me.
Good luck I had this problem back in Jan with my SFO-HNL it went MX and the 753 that just left KOA was going to be used some 6 hrs later instead. They needed close to 50 folks to stay overnight. I had used a RPU and was told even thou I was a 1K they werent sure Id end up in F

Got lucky that they changed my flight to the SFO-OGG non-stop the next morn (753 as well) WL for F, got $300 for VDB and was told no Downgrade Compensation if I dont clear since I changed routings, it was till worth it rather then getting into HNL @ 2am when OGG was my destination, got the miles redeposited for the HA HNL-OGG flight. I cleared in the end TG was using a 1/31/14 exp RPU, so it was still worth uisng it rather then being in Y

I fully understand the no DG compensation, although it would have been Y on either flight once I switched flights on my own thats that. Had they told me or you , you are now flying AAA-BBB-DDD and not as booked AAA-CCC-DDD then DG should be issued since they changed our flights, when we change them then no DG should be forthcoming. Its not the 1st time I ran into this.

I understand whats the difference if I fly in Y to IAD or EWR its still not F, but thats not how they see it, they see it as a vol change was made and that removes any obligation on their part, an invol change would probably score the DG comp
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

This is complete and utter BS.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I don't think you're entitled to compensation for the downgrade-as-result-of-downgauge per se, other than getting your instrument back. You bought a coach ticket, and they're providing a coach seat.

I DO think you should receive general irrops compensation for the significant inconvenience you suffered as a result of their mechanical, which varies but hopefully will be somewhere in the ~$500 Ecert range.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I don't think you're entitled to compensation for the downgrade-as-result-of-downgauge per se, other than getting your instrument back. You bought a coach ticket, and they're providing a coach seat.

I DO think you should receive general irrops compensation for the significant inconvenience you suffered as a result of their mechanical, which varies but hopefully will be somewhere in the ~$500 Ecert range.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
1- I believe once your UP clears no matter what was used you are entitled to DG if it occurs, and you stuck it out with the original flight and didnt make any vol changes

2- $500 they will be very lucky if they get $350, btw the LAX-IAD flight was CXed, so everywhere did very good by switching to the EWR flight even thou it will get them in alot later at least they arent still in LA
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
This is not correct. Once you've been upgraded, it's UA policy to pay downgrade compensation for a downgrade.

I recently received the specified e-cert when they downgauged from 320 to 319 and I lost my CPU.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:05 pm

Confirmed upgrade to F using miles IAD-IAH-SNA; Was only able to clear the 2nd leg of the trip tho. We were delayed an hour departing IAD due to a mechanical issue. The plane I was on was scheduled to be THE plane continuing to SNA so I didn't think much of it. When I got to IAH, I found out they snagged another plane to fly to SNA at the original departing time. Subsequently, I missed my flight, was delayed 3 hours and downgraded back to Y, (left at #1 on the list).

I will be calling UA when I get home (found this thread a bit late to call) and will update with my results. Hoping for the best, as others have experienced.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
The beat goes on . . .

1K Customer Care Desk agent I spoke to last Friday never got back to me. Spoke to another one today. After reading GG OVS DOWNGRADE with his supervisor while I was on hold, they concluded that I was in fact entitled to an ETC. Unfortunately, that is handled by another department at customer care. I now have a new Case ID Number, and instructions to wait until the case gets processed. Plan to check in with them weekly until this gets resolved; feels a bit, like playing three card monte.
I just find your tale to be so illustrative about how FUBAR UAL has become in the CS department. Its a simple rule. They just did CS training for everyone. Why does it take multiple calls to fix the problem and give you want policy requires? You are a long time CO flier, IAH based, probably not going elsewhere, but when these things happen to folks who are not captive, many don't fly UAL again.

Did Jeff can the PMUA "customer service" department and hire the group that does CS for LI Power?

http://www.businessinsider.com/compa...12?op=1#!CbBRz
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Staymates788
Confirmed upgrade to F using miles IAD-IAH-SNA; Was only able to clear the 2nd leg of the trip tho. We were delayed an hour departing IAD due to a mechanical issue. The plane I was on was scheduled to be THE plane continuing to SNA so I didn't think much of it. When I got to IAH, I found out they snagged another plane to fly to SNA at the original departing time. Subsequently, I missed my flight, was delayed 3 hours and downgraded back to Y, (left at #1 on the list).

I will be calling UA when I get home (found this thread a bit late to call) and will update with my results. Hoping for the best, as others have experienced.
Unfortunately from a UA perspective you weren't downgraded you missed your connection. You'll get the miles back and perhaps some delay compensation but no downgrade comp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.