Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Interesting that the 319/320 overhead storage is a bullet point, but not 767 overhead storage. We've never had trouble with our rollaboards on the 319/320, but the 767 overhead has never been big enough.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/United...71762.html?x=0

So we're getting Channel 9 and Wifi fleet wide and some other improvements - but the article talks about seating improvements specifically. Is CO/UA ordering new coach seats to replace the abysmal seating quality currently found on both airlines?

Could the Air Canada Y seats be coming to our fleet?
Now that you mention it, when are they going to finally resolve the PMCO seat issue so they can continue to install AC outlets and DirecTV on the 739's, rather than a bare bones First Class
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
Now that you mention it, when are they going to finally resolve the PMCO seat issue so they can continue to install AC outlets and DirecTV on the 739's, rather than a bare bones First Class
Later this fall. I do not have a specific date but a source has indicated that they will finally be restarting the LiveTV installs later this year. I am hopeful that these aircraft will also go straight to E+ as part of the IFE retrofit. The numbers being discussed seem like it could work out that way.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Why'd they knock out F of p.s.? And will p.s. remain only E+, or will that change to E+/E-?

Lots of great news here!

If I have a laptop, will streaming IFE be free, or will I need to pay for WiFi for that?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Finally "enhancements" really means a better product.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
the 767 overhead has never been big enough.
+1

F + C bins are "ok" size. Y bins are hardly big enough for a computer bag, much less a roller bag.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by sbm12
Later this fall. I do not have a specific date but a source has indicated that they will finally be restarting the LiveTV installs later this year. I am hopeful that these aircraft will also go straight to E+ as part of the IFE retrofit. The numbers being discussed seem like it could work out that way.
I am curious about the adding of E+ and F to Q400. Why would they choose to do this? Why not upgrade the E-145 fleet? Aren't the Q400s primarily flown by Colgan? I know I was on one operated by them, but I don't recall any on United Express...
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Why'd they knock out F of p.s.? And will p.s. remain only E+, or will that change to E+/E-?

Lots of great news here!

If I have a laptop, will streaming IFE be free, or will I need to pay for WiFi for that?
Probably http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ss-impact.html
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
I am curious about the adding of E+ and F to Q400. Why would they choose to do this? Why not upgrade the E-145 fleet? Aren't the Q400s primarily flown by Colgan? I know I was on one operated by them, but I don't recall any on United Express...

Because the ERJ145s has no room to put anything.

And yes, they are CO Connection, but they will be called UA Express post merger.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Interesting. There weren't a lot of paid F outside those people?

Don't they lose money anyways on people paying C and using SWU? (Though there would probably be less with the new lie-flats being installed anyways.)
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The Q400s have big weight and balance issues so this will help by pushing more of the weight to the back of the airplane. They will have an issue though if there is a full F class and full E+ and no one in E- they will have to get F or E+ passengers to move back.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm Reason: offensive
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nova08
Most of the 739s have AC and DirecTV - these issues only affect the most recent 739 and 738 deliveries as Koito-crap seats cannot be installed.

To the thread topic, I am happy to hear E+ will not displace F seats on the CO fleet - this was a huge concern for many of us here.

The improvements don't address the existing seating, however - is there a plan to refurbish the physical coach seats across the combined fleet as part of this investment? If so, which seat was selected?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:40 pm

I am curious about the adding of E+ and F to Q400. Why would they choose to do this? Why not upgrade the E-145 fleet?
Because the Q4s can handle the new seating layout while the E45s cannot. It also lets them reduce ASMs a bit on the regional fleet and provide a better product on those planes. Being able to claim that all of the 70 seaters have E+ and F is something that I'm sure the marketing folks are reasonably excited by as well.

Aren't the Q400s primarily flown by Colgan? I know I was on one operated by them, but I don't recall any on United Express...
Yes, they are operated by Colgan. Going forward all of the regional carriers will operate under the single UAX brand rather than UAX, CoEx and CoCo.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
p.s. 757 current configuration: 12F/26C/72Y

New configuration: 26C/114Y

So they removed 12F seats and added 42 Y seats? I'm wondering about the legroom.

Folks, good luck with p.s. upgrades, although I don't fly p.s.
This is NOT a change I like.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wow, $500 million? That's enough for over 62,000 Premier Diamond memberships!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Interesting that the 319/320 overhead storage is a bullet point, but not 767 overhead storage. We've never had trouble with our rollaboards on the 319/320, but the 767 overhead has never been big enough.
No kidding!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.