Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Starting to see media converage on this (WSJ) for example and our own Paul Riegler at ERW:

United Continental To Invest $500 Million in Lie-Flat Seats, In-Flight Entertainment, and More Overhead Bin Space
By Paul Riegler

At the Global Business Travel Association annual convention in Denver, United Continental Holdings announced plans to invest more than $500 million in onboard improvements to its aircraft.

The planned improvements include adding lie-flat seats to 62 long-haul aircraft, bringing the total number of aircraft with flat-bed seats in the fleet to 185, more than any other U.S. airline. In addition, the company will continue its upgrades to its three-class Boeing 777 aircraft. Currently, 17 of 46 777s (the airline has 19 777-200s and 33 777-200ERs) have flat-bed seating and new in-flight …
Read the full story »

Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: CO, DL, AA
Thumbs up We should all be cheering...

We should all be cheering.

Changes coming out in advance of what was anticipated on a timeline schedule.

The whiners will always be present, but it looks like to me that someone at UCH has been listening to their customers..and responding.

If you don't like it, move onto another airline....you'll be out of my way in the upgrade line.

I'm sure WN would love to have your business.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Worth noting: when installing Economy Plus on the Continental aircraft, we’ll be taking Economy Class seats out and leaving First and Business Class cabins intact.
Wow - great news - no reduction in F with E+ conversion. We have discussed this over the last several months.

Questions:
1. What about UA legacy aircraft - any changes in F count on A319 and A320? It woud be nice to see those add another row of F to be more compatible with CO's 73G and 738.

2. What is the arrangement of Lie Flat on CO's 767 and UA's 767-300? Anything other than 2-1-2 on the CO fleet.

Finally - same great news after all the negative rumors. The new UA is really positioning itself to be the premium airline.

3. Any 747-800s under consideration to replace the 744's?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by cova
Wow - great news - no reduction in F with E+ conversion. We have discussed this over the last several months.

Questions:
1. What about UA legacy aircraft - any changes in F count on A319 and A320? It woud be nice to see those add another row of F to be more compatible with CO's 73G and 738.

2. What is the arrangement of Lie Flat on CO's 767 and UA's 767-300? Anything other than 2-1-2 on the CO fleet.

Finally - same great news after all the negative rumors. The new UA is really positioning itself to be the premium airline.

I doubt there will be changes to UA aircraft seating (other then 767 and PS)

I read somewhere that no 748s will be ordered. But things can change, and it would be nice.

I think we've been underestimating CO/UA and $misek, he has cut back a bit, but all this news sounds great. Hopefully this trend will continue in the future, and not go the way many of us thought it could.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flatbeds

Does it say if the flatbeds will be the UA version or CO version? I'm hoping for CO version.

i am curious to see if they are going to harmonize of the AVOD/IPE type being installed for the longhaul aircraft; UA charges for Y but CO does not.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
This announcement isn't exactly what I hoped to hear. (which would have included things like p.s. operating SFO-EWR, SFO-ORD and SFO-BOS with 60 seats in flat-bed C...).

But from my perspective it is, overall, unambiguously good news.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Bye bye ghetto birds! Love these changes.

I"m also curious about the bin elargements on the Airbusses..I also have never had trouble getting my rollabard in wheels first. I do have trouble on some CO 737's though (but not others). They need to work on that.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
I'm really excited about these upgrades!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Does it say if the flatbeds will be the UA version or CO version? I'm hoping for CO version.
According to the story in Executive Road Warrior magazine, the lie-flat beds are to be "all-new".
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by cova

Questions:

Boeing only has 36 existing orders for the 747-8I passenger version, which sounds like they would never break even, unless they went ahead on the strength of their freight orders. Deliveries are supposed to start late this year. It's an iconic aircraft, but the days of US airlines understanding the value of icons has largely left us.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
RIP upgrading to the C cabin in PS - it was fun while it lasted.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
RIP upgrading to the C cabin in PS - it was fun while it lasted.
I don't know about that. You have to imagine that a good number of the F seats went empty, another chunk were filled with nonrevs, and that the people who did buy F (or C+upgrade) will move over to AA.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
UA just got 13 longhauls to add to the fleet by converting the domestic 763 fleet.

Oh, and they aren't going to stop converting the 777s to 3-class. (I am kind of surprised that they aren't converting the domestic 777s as well- to be 2-class flatbed planes).
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Interesting. There weren't a lot of paid F outside those people?
My stepmom has flown paid F with her company's leadership team on PS - and they're the furthest thing from SAG/entertainment you can imagine industry-wise...

Originally Posted by murphyUA
I don't know about that. You have to imagine that a good number of the F seats went empty, another chunk were filled with nonrevs, and that the people who did buy F (or C+upgrade) will move over to AA.
I flew PS paid C on int'l itins to Asia and UG'd to F plenty of times. Ah well. Bet they close up shop on the JFK IFL as well and just expand the regular RCC seating.

You now have 50% more Y pax who have the ability to UG to C. Advance NC will pretty much be 0 now. Of course, if you do score the UG, it will be a nice ride.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.